Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
HQ Video of O-ring issue -

https://youtu.be/C5GvJHwh-8g

I am happy to report that I just dodged the bullet on a 700 mile road trip with my family including two small children! Thank the Subaru gods that the pump failed the next day upon my return and with a simple 4 mile tow she was in my driveway ready to be worked on.

So my questions are as follows:

I have ordered a new O-ring he should be on their way tomorrow.

I will buy the filter cap replacement as recommended from Subaru, discard the strainer – correct?

How do I get the bloody metal cap off.

Thanks again for all the info on this forum just saved me almost a third of the value of my vehicle!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,134 Posts
the cap should 'bayonet' off - about 1/4-1/3 turn. Of course, there can be resistance depending I suppose on how displaced the o-ring may be.

I lubed the new o-ring with a little engine oil. Do NOT twist the new cap too far, look on the tabs - at least one of them has a 'dimple' formed into it. I avoided having that tab 'ride' on top of its lug on the pump.

you'll see.

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
Ok, all done, with some Vaseline on the O-ring and paid $67 at the dealer. Not too bad since she died on Monday and Wed evening back on the road! Of course now looking at an XT as I think a little change would be good as I've had her for 6 months after all :)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,134 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
453 Posts
I read most of these posts. My 01 is starting to exhibit hard starting after lengthy breaks between starts.
Still, it's nothing that a couple cycles of the key, before starting in the morning doesn't take care of, but I know it won't last this way for long.
Do the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl use the same pump?
When I click the link to the Dorman kit, it says it does not fit my 01 VDC.
Also, the filter kit, with the extended cap says it doesn't fit either.

I'd be happy to go to the local bone yard and pull a 4 cyl pump assembly and just exchange the whole thing out, while I wait for whatever parts I need to fix the original. That is....if they're the same....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Because of this thread and others I decided to pull my pump and check its condition (2002 bean 148000 miles) and the thing looked like a new part. Perhaps the previous owner had it replaced; don’t know.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts