Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there done a diff oil change in their new Outback 3.0R. I would like to know what the capacities are for the front and rear diffs. I am switching to synthetics and don't want to get more than I need as we all know how expensive this stuff is.

I am using Neo 5/30 oil in the motor and it is great stuff and so now I'm putting Neo in the diffs as well.

Karl, have you done a diff oil change? Anyone else?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Karl,

Did the rear last night. It needs about 800ml and an allen key of 10mm for drain and fill. They need crush washers for each. Similar to the sump crush washers but wider and a bit smaller. My Subaru dealer only had one so I used it on the drain and used the original on the fill.

The oil I drained had alot of mollybdenum or something like that in it, so I don't know what thats for. Any way the rear's done. The Neo synthetic is much thinner than the original, so I expect to get better fuel economy.

The front is a different kettle of fish. The drain plug is like a female 6 leafed clover, so I need a male version to fit it. Must ba a Subaru special tool. I will look around today to see if I can get one and failing that I'll ask my Subaru service tech.

I've kept the original oil in case I'm not happy with the results and will do the same for the front diff oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Boxer3.0R
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing