Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd. (BLACK/BLACK)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. i have been following a thread from January on Synthetic Oil and other lubes for the OB. There seems to be much discrepancy.

No one has updated as far as I can tell, for the '05 OB with an automatic transmission. I'm picking up my new car on Tuesday. Could anyone comment? I know I'm not supposed to use syntecs at all til about 10k but curious if I need to at all these days.

Hero posted that syntecs were not made for automatics hbgut they seem to be the thing for manuals.

i know I have time but thought I would reopen the discussion for the 2005's.

Thanks,

Sherpa.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
If you're asking about synthetic transmission fluid, I don't know anything. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone using a synthetic in the transmission, etc.

As for the motor oil... I'm changing out the original oil and filter in my Impreza Outback Sport and will use Mobil 1 5W-30 "new car formula", whenever a Fumoto oil drain valve I ordered shows up here.

Will be only 1500+ miles on the odometer by then, but it was manufactured 2/03 so that's part of the reason I'm not waiting any longer.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
I called SOA and asked this question. He told me that I could change to synthetics anytime BUT once I did - it was forever. I'm still going to wait till 10K. First oil change was at 1500, subsequent will be 4K, 7K 10K - then every 5K. Just my way of doing things

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far a synthetics for automatic trannys, Castrol makes a Dexron III synthetic and all Mercon V is synthetic (I think it's synthetic Mercon, or Dexron III). Haven't used it though.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
old timer syn user

I guess I gotta school you kids about synthetics . Bottom line best stuff there is for any make /model period meets/exceeds all manufacturers recommendations. I have been using syn in trans /eng/differentials since '90 no problems at all , just better mileage and longevity of componets. you can mix as well will any regular oils without problems. :D

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Guy here uses Castrol Transmax Z in all his autos. Says very good for extreme temps - hot or cold.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,012 Posts
OneOBS said:
I'm a big fan of Redline D4 ATF in Subie automatics. its great stuff. You'll get smoother shifts and shorter delays going from gear to gear when you move the shift lever.

BTW, synthetic oil is 100% compatible with other oils. If you switch to synthetic you can switch back to dino at any time with no worries.
I think I'm going to try out the Redline in my automatic but was told by at least two different oil sources when I was changing from syn/oil blend to Mobil One (next change I'm going to Amsoil) that, that change was okay and going from strait oil to synth was okay but that it wasn't advisable to go down from synth back to oil...
Any comments on this advise (not that I will ever go back to strait oil again in my subie).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts