Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Changed out the spark plugs on the 2002 Outback and was surprised by a gush of oil when I pulled the cord boot. The spark plug bores were dry and I'd say that each time about a tablespoon of oil dribbled out.

Given how consistent it was on all four, I'm wondering if this is "normal". Or, does it mean that valve cover gaaskets need to be replaced? Car has just under 70k miles on it.

Timing belt, coolant and hoses are on deck for the coming long weekend. That crank bolt should be fun.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,269 Posts
Change the valve cover seals with the 4 tube seals. They come separate. You can get them from Subaru or find Beck Arnley seals. BA is OEM.

Pull the radiator and fans to overhaul the front. Its opens up more room. You'll have the coolant out anyway and its not that much to pull them as one piece.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,185 Posts
What cardoc said.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change the valve cover seals with the 4 tube seals. They come separate. You can get them from Subaru or find Beck Arnley seals. BA is OEM.

Pull the radiator and fans to overhaul the front. Its opens up more room. You'll have the coolant out anyway and its not that much to pull them as one piece.
Hi,

Just so I'm sure I've understood you - do I need to pull the radiator and fans to replace the valve cover seals? I was certainly going to do so for the timing belt R&R.

On my Gen 1 I was able to replace the valve cover gaskets without pulling anything from the front.

Thanks for the suggestion about BA and the tube seals.

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I'd have to agree with cardoc - but I have an '07 that I did the belt on not too long ago, so I'm not sure if it's much the same, but I can't imagine it's much different. I found that with having two dudes wrenching around, the extra space was nice.

In regards to the crank bolt, I found a rubber grommet that I could pull out on top of the bellhousing (directly center of the engine bay, towards the back, just beneath the firewall.) If yours has that too, then pull the grommet, spin the crank until the lower hole lines up (you'll see what I mean), stick a prybar down in there, then use a breaker bar on the crank bolt. Works like a charm.

If you have the DOHC, find a special tool that slips in between the two vertical pulleys for when you route the new belt. It saves a heck of a lot of time. Also, buy new hose clamps if you do new hoses. The OE clamps won't go back onto a new hose, even with smacking it around and talking dirty to it.

Good luck! It actually is a fun job!

·
Registered
2002 outback
443 Posts
Hi,

Just so I'm sure I've understood you - do I need to pull the radiator and fans to replace the valve cover seals? I was certainly going to do so for the timing belt R&R.

On my Gen 1 I was able to replace the valve cover gaskets without pulling anything from the front.

Thanks for the suggestion about BA and the tube seals.
you dont need to pull the radiator/fans for just the vc gskts, he meant when doing the timing belt. but i did pull the battery, makes it way easier. also, you might also check valve lash, and i find it a lot easier to check/adjust mostly from underneath. i also have a nice set of go/nogo lash feelers, i think kd tools, makes the job easier. i think i got a set of felpro valve cover gaskets, and it was complete. you need an in/lb torque wrench for the valve cover bolts, but the valve cover bolts will stop from bottoming out, and i found that torquing them down to just when it stops is just about perfect

·
Registered
288 Posts
See pic for way to remove bolt if an auto. Access from pass. side is easy. Works for on and off.
(credits to Canubaru for image)

As an aside, haven't seen a Healy 3k since Ihad my Triumph GT6.
Nice machine.

O.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See pic for way to remove bolt if an auto. Access from pass. side is easy. Works for on and off.
(credits to Canubaru for image)

As an aside, haven't seen a Healy 3k since Ihad my Triumph GT6.
Nice machine.

O.
Hi,

That's a tremendously useful photograph! Thanks a lot.

Agreed, the 3000's sure are pretty. Sort of a more masculine counterpart to the E-Type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts