Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
09 Subaru Outback SE PZEV
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo all! I've a US 2009 Outback SE with the 4EAT. Was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what type of transfer case (or whatever you'd wanna call the "center diff") I have in the vehicle.

I've seen a few conflicting things about Outbacks with VDC. Some say if you have VDC, and it's made in the USA, it has VTD. I've seen others saying if it's made after 2008, and has VDC (pretty sure it was standard after that), it has the MPT.

I've heard that if you check the fuse box, the FWD fuse will not have any contacts, but again, I've seen a few posts here saying otherwise. Was just wanting a bit of wisdom on this.

Note: I've looked at the Mpt to Vtd swap thread, and can't for the life of me figure out what extension I've got just based on looks. I'd rather rule that out, if possible.

Thanks, and well wishes.

·
Registered
19,035 Posts
Was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what type of transfer case (or whatever you'd wanna call the "center diff") I have in the vehicle.
The 2009 4EAT uses the multi-plate transfer clutch.

The VTD planetary-gear set center differential was used in some 2nd gen (2000-4) Outbacks. However, as of 2005 it was used only in the 5EAT.

·
Registered
09 Subaru Outback SE PZEV
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2009 4EAT uses the multi-plate transfer clutch.

The VTD planetary-gear set center differential was used in some 2nd gen (2000-4) Outbacks. However, as of 2005 it was used only in the 5EAT.
Alright, groovy. Was just curious as to what type of center diff I had, if (god forbid) I ever happen to run into any issues and need something rebuilt. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts