Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is just me but it takes a lot of force of a few goes to close the tail gate on my standard 2.5i 2016 Outback (Australian). I have a 'povo' pack (base model) so I don't have the powered close that is a feature of the Premium models. I've spoken to the dealer about this at service time and they say that this behaviour is normal. Has anyone else got this problem or is it just me?
I've seen a few posts about issues with the powered rear gate on this site but not much discussion about the non-powered rear gate. Tail gate, rear gate its all the same to me.

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
I've noticed this too. I can't do my standard "close it in one fell swoop" like I can on previous vehicles. My girlfriend struggles to get it closed fully and constantly has to re-do it. Less than ideal.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,317 Posts
I've spoken to the dealer about this at service time and they say that this behaviour is normal. Has anyone else got this problem or is it just me?
I've noticed this too.
Sounds like it closes but not fully. You just have a striker (the hoop the rear gate hooks onto) that is too tight.
Take off the plastic trim (it should just pop out). Then put some masking tape along 1 side and the back edge of the striker. Loosen the two bolts (not much) and tap the striker out (towards you since you will be at the back) to loosen it. You will likely not need much movement, less than 1 mm. Tighten the bolts and test the gate. Should close and be tight. Adjust as necessary.

See Page EB53 here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts