Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Atlantic Blue OBXT Limited 5MT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking I over did it with the suspension mods on my XT and turned it into a tail-happy beast. This summer I replaced all my shocks with the earlier KYB G-R2 model and swapped out the rear springs with the Rallitek overload springs. Initially I enjoyed this set-up, felt more balanced and didn't have that float the boat down the highway sway anymore.

At first I was thinking I had the dreaded ghostwalking issue. So I tweaked the alignment as best as possible and had studded snowtires installed. That helped, but the rear end keeps wanting to slide around unless I'm nice and gentle with it. Especially when accelerating out of a turn. Now Rallitek warns not to use a rear sway bar with the springs because the car could get tail happy, but I'm wondering if the same could be said for mixing the overload springs with the stiffer KYB shocks? None of this was an issue until winter road conditions here in Anchorage got slippery. Any thoughts on this from other winter drivers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You stiffen the end you want to have less traction so this makes sense. Since there aren't good front spring choices for the OBXT, you might want to try a larger FSB?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So by adding a stiffer front sway bar, it would help to balance it out? This would correct or at least lessen the oversteer is what I'm hearing? Or would it be better to change out the overload springs and put back in the stock?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is off the printout from my last alignment:

Camber Front Left: -0.2 degree
Camber Front Right : -0.4 degree
Caster Front Left: 5.1 degree
Caster Front Right: 5.1 degree
Toe Front Left: 0.04 degree
Toe Front Right: 0.04 degree
Cross Camber Front: 0.2 degree
Cross Caster Front: -0.1 degree
Total Toe Front: 0.07 degree

Camber Rear Left: -0.2 degree
Camber Rear Right: -0.5 degree
Toe Rear Left: 0.03 degree
Toe Rear Right: 0.03 degree
Cross Camber Rear: 0.4 degree
Total Toe Rear: 0.06 degree
Thrust Angle Rear: 0.00 degree

All alignment measurements fall within specs according to the specified range on the printout. Any thoughts on if these need to change?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So by adding a stiffer front sway bar, it would help to balance it out? This would correct or at least lessen the oversteer is what I'm hearing? Or would it be better to change out the overload springs and put back in the stock?
Correct. Stiffening the front will add understeer. Stiffening the rear will add oversteer. The real question is "how much"? IIRC Whiteline makes an adjustable front ASB which should give a little range to your endeavor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 23mm Front Sway Bar kit from RalliTek with their HD endlinks. It was the last swaybar they had in inventory, I don't know if they are making them anymore so I pulled the trigger on it. I'm pretty curious to see if this helps neutralizes the steering after it's installed, otherwise I guess I'll just have to keep it easy in the winter months.... but where's the fun in that!?

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
I think you'd have better luck with more neg camber. Some adjustable rear control arms would do the trick. Get the back to around -1deg and you should notice a huge difference.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 23mm Front Sway Bar kit from RalliTek with their HD endlinks. It was the last swaybar they had in inventory, I don't know if they are making them anymore so I pulled the trigger on it. I'm pretty curious to see if this helps neutralizes the steering after it's installed, otherwise I guess I'll just have to keep it easy in the winter months.... but where's the fun in that!?
I have that bar too. It does make a slight shift from over to understeer, and further reduces body roll.

I don't think anyone is still producing parts beyond wear items for the 05-09.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R (LLGreen)
82 Posts
My alignment suggestions are... Max camber up front and match.... take final front camber value, divide by two and match for rear. Toe is zero all around.

You will need the whiteline rear camber kit as rear camber isn't OEM adjustable.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts