Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ... I have a 2004 Outback wagon. Has anybody experienced my problem. I have no parking or daytime running lights. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced it with a 10 amp fuse and turned on the lights and it immediatly blew again. Turned off the lights and put in another fuse and tried the Parking light switch on the steering colum and the fuse again blew. I have replaced all my bulbs in all corners as well as checked for a break in the loom that goes into the hatch. Could not find any bare wires and it all looked good.

Anyone have any ideas..

Regards,
Cravin

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
Which fuse? All the fuses are identified by a number and a description along with a diagram of their locations, in the Owners Manual.

The Parking Light switch on top of the steering column uses a separate, "always on" circuit, and fuse. It would be helpful to know which fuse blows when the lights are turned on, and which blows when the parking light switch is used (with the key out).

I'm also not clear on what you mean by "turned on the lights"; is this when using the headlight switch, or just releasing the parking brake, which normally turns on the daylight running lights if the key is at On?

A short somewhere in the clearance light system is a good probability. The fuse blowing when the Parking Light switch is used could be a help -- this is the simpler circuit to troubleshoot -- the key is out, and the Daylight Running Lights control module isn't in use. Moreover, it controls only the exterior clearance and tail lights at the four corners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the #5 fuse 10 amp to the left of the steering wheel. This is the fuse that blows whether i use use the headlight swith or the parking light switch. It blows no matter which switch i turn on.

My head lights, turn signals and brake lights work function properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the key out... if I turn on the parking light switch it blows the #5 fuse...

All interior and dash lights also work properly.

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
That's helpful . . . in a way.

There's a short somewhere in the clearance/tail light circuit -- this is the circuit that fuse #5 powers. (See attached wiring diagram)

I don't think there's going to be a quick answer. You'll probably have to do some more troubleshooting which might involve isolating different parts of the circuit and checking for shorts.

When the bulbs were changed (see the attached for all the bulbs that are involved), were each of the sockets examined for corrosion or dirt. There have been reports here of problems in the sockets that have caused shorts.

Does the car have a trailer converter connected (usually in the spare tire well)? These have been known to fail and short out the related circuit. (If it has one, disconnect it at the connector on the left side of the cargo area.)

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found the problem

The front bulb socket on the left side was the problem. It was shorting out the whole system... Replaced it and now all my driving lights and parking lights work like new...

Thanks for all the help..

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem. Thanks for posting the outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I have two other posts similar to this, but haven't gotten any responses. I kept searching and came across this post.

I have the same exact problem as described above. I was alerted by other motorists that my taillights were not working.

I recently replaced the entire headlights (right and left) which were pretty much plug and play. I removed all the front cables ( I had not seen the diagram attached).

Leaving both front sockets blow the fuse. The cables look intact. If I remove both sockets the back lights and plate lights still work.

It looks like the issue is that both sockets are defective. I can't find a vendor to buy the sockets and verify that indeed that's what that is. Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
Hi I have two other posts similar to this, but haven't gotten any responses. I kept searching and came across this post. . . .
Really? Right now, looking at your other posts, I see a response to your enquiry here

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/26595-01-outback-rear-tail-light-switch.html#post1676434

and several in the thread you started here

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/154090-2001-outback-sedan-tailgate-fuse-blowing.html#post1684762

If you stay in one thread we are better able to see what has been posted by others, and what you might have done in regard to those suggestions. That way we aren't repeating the same ideas in different threads. Perhaps continue in the thread you started . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Outback. A while back my back up lights stopped working. The dealer had to replace the wiring harness for the tailgate. They said the wire to the B/U lights had broken. A place for you to check. Try unplugging the tailgate harness, put in a new fuse and try the lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you know that the front bulb was the problem if the headlights were working correctly?
I have the same problem but my headlights work fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Subaru Outback 2003 that is having similar issues. The fuse #5 10 amp keeps blowing out. I replaced all the bulbs and looked at wiring. I didn't see any visible shorts. Every time I put in a fuse it blows. I even put in a fuse when the car was off and it still blew. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I think it is a short but not sure.

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
Yes, it's a short; that's what the fuse is meant to protect against by blowing.

I even put in a fuse when the car was off and it still blew.
Ignition switch at OFF and key out, but what about the parking light switch on the top of the steering column; was it ON or OFF? This information could be a help isolate the location of the short.

There's no single answer; if there's a short it could be anywhere, but the bulbs and sockets are often the source, as some have noted above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chimming in as in having the same issue here. 15amp fuse on my outback XT blows everytime the parking light switch is switched or my tail lights are engaged. Wondering exactly what bulbs I need to check and how I would really be able to tell which is the issue.

Recently did these things
-Installed LED's in both my front rear turn signals, not the side markers though.
-installed LED's thoughout the car cabin
-installed LED's in the fog lights

Also noticed both of the license plate bulbs were out. Currently don't have bulbs in either. Could this cause the short?

Thanks

Yes, it's a short; that's what the fuse is meant to protect against by blowing.

I even put in a fuse when the car was off and it still blew.
Ignition switch at OFF and key out, but what about the parking light switch on the top of the steering column; was it ON or OFF? This information could be a help isolate the location of the short.

There's no single answer; if there's a short it could be anywhere, but the bulbs and sockets are often the source, as some have noted above.

·
Registered
16,408 Posts
SethDreidel

Typical problems with lighting in the 2000-4 and 2005-9 tend to be different. In the earlier generation a common issue is shorts at the bulbs and/or bulb sockets. In the later years, the bulbs and sockets are different, and not as prone to having problems there. However, as noted in post #10 above, the wiring to the rear hatch tends to develop breaks where it goes through the flexible boot at the upper right of the hatch. When the wires break, the corresponding lighting or function in the hatch stops working. But in some cases, the broken wire contacts another wire, or a ground, and shorts that circuit when power is applied. There are threads here with the exact same problem you have that were traced to broken wires in 2005+ models.

That said, the LEDs could be a factor. The turn signal lights and clearance (parking) lights are one and the same bulb. The original factory bulb has two filaments, one connected to the turn signal circuit, the other to the clearance (parking light) circuit. (The two filaments are housed inside the same bulb.) These bulbs are less likely to develop shorts to ground. However, the LED assemblies usually have control circuits inside. If one has failed, it might be shorting the parking light circuit to ground.

If the fuse blows when the parking light switch on top of the steering column is turned on (key Off or out), then that should limit the problem to the exterior parking light circuit. (Some of the interior lights are also turned on when the headlight switch is turned on, but these are not powered by the parking light switch on the steering column.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Subaru Outback 2003 that is having similar issues. The fuse #5 10 amp keeps blowing out. I replaced all the bulbs and looked at wiring. I didn't see any visible shorts. Every time I put in a fuse it blows. I even put in a fuse when the car was off and it still blew. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I think it is a short but not sure.
My car is having the same problem. Did you find the solution to it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts