Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited nav/eye purchased 8/6/18
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if this has been posted before - I searched and wasn't able to get a match...

Problem: Pressing tailgate button gets a three beep reply and the tailgate stays down - or up, whichever its position is. When closed, after many tries, it finally opened, but only halfway. When open, it finally closed fully. This is using the dash button and the rear button. Sorry, didn't try the fob button...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
281 Posts
My only experience with the gate not responding from dash button is that it won't if the doors are locked. Unlocking via door panel buttons takes care of that. I get why the rear hatch button or proximity sensor should not work if the doors are locked, but from the dash button??

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll follow for the solution...

And add that the fob was the was I managed to close mine. Was as if only the fob would work. I believe I replaced my battery shortly after and haven't had the issue return. Related? No idea

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine doesnt work more often than it works. I've gotten to the point of not using it and using the back seat. If i do manually open it then at times it.wont fully close and i have to turn my interior lights off and back up to a wall so no one can get in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Similar thread:

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Could also be the power rear gate control module.

There is a recent TRB for it, but it never got uploaded where I can read it for free.

Technical Service Bulletin 07-179-20
Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module - Design Change
October 05, 2020.

Could be it would address your problem. Might be totally unrelated.

One of the two that were issued under the same title for the forester and ascent originally addressed the same problem.... it was later updated to include the blurb about dark current drain.

“This bulletin announces a design change made to the PRG control module. This change is in response to a limited number of customer concerns regarding the rear gate not opening when operating the gate switch or dashboard switch on the vehicle or the button on the key fob. In addition to ensuring proper PRG system operation, the new logic also optimizes the PRG communication function. The change will prevent excessive dark draw which may over time, cause a low battery condition.”

I have no idea if this is the text in the outback one... the other one by the same title (different number) for the ascent/forester addressed the gate closing unexpectedly before opening fully.

In both TSBs the power gate control module is replaced.

Again, not sure what the outback one says.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a bit to see if that clears the problem, if you haven’t already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rear gate will not open unless you're in park. It will also not open if you hold the button on the trunk. You have ro give it just a click

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White
347 Posts
My experience; always push the door unlock button before you use the dash gate button ( even if the doors are unlocked), the rear gate button just a light tap on the right side of the bar (not the center or the left).

Our new 2021 works much better.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
334 Posts
I've been having this problem with my 18 as the battery has died/almost died numerous times since work-from-home started 8(!) months ago. What has reset it to normal operation (with a charged battery) is holding down the hatch button on the remote for a couple seconds. (This is for the 3 beeps/won't open problem, not the stuck partly open problem.)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! Now I have a few options to try if it happens again!

BTW, I figured out my problem with the search... I searched for "three beeps" and "beeps three times". When I later tried a numeral - "3 beeps" or "beeps 3 times" I had success. I guess the forum's search engine isn't as smart as Google or Bing! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm the worst at functional searches, here. I appreciate the examples lol.

Thankfully (!!!) This is a gracious and incredibly helpful community.

- learning something almost every day.
Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One could always hope they might license the Google or Bing search engine... Probably lotsa $$$.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One could always hope they might license the Google or Bing search engine... Probably lotsa $$$.
BTW, used the tailgate today - no problems. Works normally! Go figure!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
238 Posts
You can always just use Google to search the site:

1. Go to Google.com.
  2. Enter site:www.website.com search term into the search box.
  3. Refine your search.
Example: Enter something like this into the search box: subaruoutback.org liftgate problems

Reactions: rockyp
1 - 17 of 17 Posts