Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean Wagon 225,000 miles H6
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 05 LL Bean Outback wagon with 225,000 miles on it. Car looks and runs like new but the tailgate struts do not always hold it up. Yeah--it hit me on the head twice as it fell. Have not looked into cost of OEM replacements yet. Has anyone here used a good aftermarket tailgate support?? Anyone know cost of new OEM?? They look pretty easy to install--any advise to the contrary??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Check here - I have ordered from this company and they have fast shipping and excellent customer service.

Lift Supports SUBARU Outback 2005

Of the four struts I ordered for another vehicle (hatch and hood) one blew a seal about 90 days later, and after a phone call they shipped me a free "no hassle" replacement. They didn't even need to see the old one - they just told me to toss it.

The parts are debatably not the equal of the OEM ones, but I can recommend their parts and the company. I doubt that you will find a cheaper price anywhere.

Installation is simple, but you will need a helper (or a broomstick) to hold the hatch up while you swap the struts for new ones.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
you don't get much easier than this. really simple job. if subaru is convenient tear it up, but the job is so simple that it doesn't much matter. in the odd event you have a bad strut...no big deal or time lost.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6
5 Posts
So I went to replace the tailgate struts on my 2005 Outback thinking this was indeed going to be a simple job. But I have to re-use the bracket that the top of the strut mounts to, yet there's no way (I can see) to get the bracket disconnected from the old strut. The bolt that holds the old strut is pressed in, meaning there's no nut or threaded bolt to remove. Ergo...there's no way (short of grinding) that I can tell to remove the bracket from the old strut.

Any help here? Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
The new struts should have come with new mounting hardware

·
Registered
5 Posts
The new struts should have come with new mounting hardware
They're Strong Arm struts (gotten from Parts Geek). And the only mounting hardware they came with are two ball joint bolts in each package. This obviously does not address the problem of the existing bracket and how to get the old strut off of it.

I've triple checked and partsgeek.com indeed shows that the parts I have are compatible. And several other sites I go to never address the existing bracket. So I'm kinda pissed and at a loss here....

Sure, I could order a new bracket from Subaru at who knows how much cost. Or I could order OEM struts from Subaru...AT $86 A PIECE--screw that. And even then it STILL doesn't address the existing bracket.

So how in the ever lovin' **** has anyone else changed these struts by themselves at home?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you look at the entire listing, it states in several places that you must use "existing brackets on tailgate". And the brackets that come with that linked set does seem to address the existing bracket that is on the tailgate.

Since everyone from the inception of pneumatic struts has known that these things wear out and must be replaced, why in the blazing purple crap did Subaru press in a bolt that can't be removed?!?

·
Registered
288 Posts
A couple of choices.
1) remove the old unit by lifting part of the trim. The securing nut is tucked in there.
Cut old strut from bracket mount, then reuse the bracket portion.
2) Advance auto sells them also. I just checked another on line dealer and asked them to match the price(they did). Another time I just ordered from RockAuto.

O.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple of choices.
1) remove the old unit by lifting part of the trim. The securing nut is tucked in there.
Cut old strut from bracket mount, then reuse the bracket portion.
2) Advance auto sells them also. I just checked another on line dealer and asked them to match the price(they did). Another time I just ordered from RockAuto.
Are you saying that Advance (and therefore other auto parts stores) sells the actual mounting bracket that affixes to the tailgate itself? If so...I'll just go and buy a set! That'd be the easiest and hassle-free solution if possible....

·
Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
1,209 Posts
I haven't seen a straight answer on this.
If I buy these Strongarm lifts:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Strongarm-Subaru-Outback-Tailgate-Supports/dp/B007D4633O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8[/ame]
Will they or will they not come with everything I need?

·
Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
1,209 Posts
Bump. Anyone?

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've purchased these:

http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Outback-Tailgate-Lift-Supports/dp/B0186A83J0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I can't answer your question as I haven't installed them yet, but I hope to this week. Doesn't look like as quick of a job as I thought? Do the taillights need to come out?
Installed these in my 2008 yesterday.

Contents:
Left and Right lift support
not sure what they're called, but a pair of the ball joints that connect the bottom of the lift support to the car. threaded on one side, ball joint on the other, with washers

installation was a breeze. removed the tail light for easier access. reused the two bolts that hold the top of the lift support to the hatch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts