Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenly got a 3.6R Outback with the works - leather, sunroof, gps, etc. I'm using Lexol on the leather, as I've had good luck with it on previous cars. But I'm wondering what folks are using to maintain the dash & doors. I doubt if they are leather . . . more likely some kind of synthetic leatherette.

I was thinking of using 303 Protectant. Anybody have any strong opinions on this, or recommendations for something else?

Thanks!

PGadd

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Way back in the day, I asked a couple VW people about the best way to keep the dash looking good. And they recommended not putting anything on it at all. Just cleaning it with a good cleaner.

12 years later the dash still looks as good as new. The thing is a lot of the protectants out there will actually dry the plastics out and ruin them. I intend to do this procedure on my OB.

I will ask you this - how do you put the leather care stuff on the porforated seats without goop getting down into the holes?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I recenly got a 3.6R Outback with the works - leather, sunroof, gps, etc. I'm using Lexol on the leather, as I've had good luck with it on previous cars. But I'm wondering what folks are using to maintain the dash & doors. I doubt if they are leather . . . more likely some kind of synthetic leatherette.

I was thinking of using 303 Protectant. Anybody have any strong opinions on this, or recommendations for something else?

Thanks!

PGadd
Caution on the LExol product it is pretty harsh and can remove the color off parts of the seat covering not all of the seat is leather. 303 is a cool product we have been using it on our boat covers for years. I do a treatment about once every year to two years pending. It is designed for acrylic / Plastics so the only thing it might be of value for is the top of the dash. I've seen it used for rubber seals exposed to sun light also.

For cleaning leather you would be surprised all the pro's use very simple products back in the day our pro detailer at the dealer - always started with very light dish type soap on a damp rag to clean up seats - followed by a basic oil leather conditioner. Which is what I have done for years and have never had any issues we keep our cars a long time. Wifes ride is a 2001 VW top of the line with leather - looks brand new.

I have tested lexol on our Subaru and it removed some color in the test spot - As I said its pretty harsh stuff for some seats.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Aerospace 303 is an excellent product for the plastics and synthetic surfaces in your vehicle. I've used it for years in every car I've detailed. Its a little expensive but a little goes a long way. It cleans and protects the surfaces. It just looks clean, it doesn't leave the obnoxious extreme shine that traditional ArmorAll will.

I highly suggest you avoid any ArmorAll product, ESPECIALLY their leather products. They are a water base and overtime will deteriorate and pull the natural oils out of the surfaces they touch. If you or someone you know uses ArmorAll regularly on their leather and then wonders why it still cracks and splits... this is why. You want a good oil based product for leather. Lexol is an excellent choice. My Outback doesn't have leather but both of my Grand Prixs did, I've used it on both with excellent results.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have tested lexol on our Subaru and it removed some color in the test spot - As I said its pretty harsh stuff for some seats.
Assuming you have the black leather? Did you test the cleaner or conditioner?

Like the dishsoap you mentioned, I thought about using Dawn+water to clean the seats, but I know a Dawn wash is good for stripping wax and oils off the car before you clay and buff it. I was afraid it would strip the oils from the leather as well.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
If you want to use the "old fashioned fix", use Murphy's Oil Soap. I wouldn't use Dawn for the same reason I wouldn't use ArmorAll.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Assuming you have the black leather? Did you test the cleaner or conditioner?

Like the dishsoap you mentioned, I thought about using Dawn+water to clean the seats, but I know a Dawn wash is good for stripping wax and oils off the car before you clay and buff it. I was afraid it would strip the oils from the leather as well.
Cream

1 - 9 of 9 Posts