Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,751 Posts
...Switching sizes raises other issues, such as speedometer calibration and the Eyesight system. Also the stock size probably gives better handling than switching to a higher profile tire (apparently off-road isn't an issue).
Not 100% sure about Gen 6, but plenty of folks with Gen 5s have switched between 17 and 18 inch wheels. When fitted with the correct tires, they have almost exactly the same circumference, so there's no concern with calibration of any kind.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,755 Posts
I personally do not think there is a better all-weather or all-season tire for snow than the WRG4.
Thanks Kevin!
I am about to replace the tires on our 2016 OB. Will give these a close look. We live up in the mountains with a little over a mile of gravel road driving (one way) to get to/from the house.
I am assuming they will be robust enough to handle gravel on a daily basis?
I do like their 10% lower weight compared to the Falken and Yokohamas. Assuming they are as strong ....

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
200 Posts
thanks for all of the info... my desire to switch is cosmetic, prob just a waste of money for me to switch for no real reason so I guess ill keep an eye out for people selling onxy wheels (they would fit with the current tires correct?) and when I actually need to replace tires I can worry about tires and new wheels then
I agree you probably should wait, but you're going to be paying for wheels either way. I'd look at some of the aftermarket ones to see if there are some you like. We did that on my wife's old Rav4 and it was sort of nice having wheels there were not OEM style.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,600 Posts
Thanks Kevin!
I am about to replace the tires on our 2016 OB. Will give these a close look. We live up in the mountains with a little over a mile of gravel road driving (one way) to get to/from the house.
I am assuming they will be robust enough to handle gravel on a daily basis?
I do like their 10% lower weight compared to the Falken and Yokohamas. Assuming they are as strong ....
The WRG4 is rated for severe service and are 4 ply so I think it would handle your circumstances but I can assure you that they are not made for anything other than light offloading. I don't know the rap on the other tires you mentioned though.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited - waiting on 2020 Onyx XT
769 Posts
Anybody know if my aftermarket wheels for my 2014 OB will fit on my new Onyx? I run a winter set, so I had winters mounted on a separate set of 17x7's. Obviously I will need a different tire size mounted on them to match the circumference of the 18" stock wheels on the onyx. But are bolt pattern, offset, etc the same? If so, I should be able to re-use the rims and run a -1 in winter, correct? Just trying to verify.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
133 Posts
there is screwing you around, and there is also the fact that SO many people in these types of places often have no idea what they are talking about. lol But I fully support having a skeptic's mindset.

I myself have considered changing the rims and would like better tires, but I will wait till these wear out.

Ron_br said:
"18" Searches for snow cables to fit the 225/60/18 has been difficult if not impossible."

Has anyone ever had to put cables on their Outbacks? I have driven outbacks since 2003 here in the snowy California mountains a great many times driving through the chain/cable stops (where they are forcing people to put them on) and they ALWAYS have let me through, sometimes asking if I have them in the car, but I have never been made to put them on. I am curious if anyone here has?
It's because the highway patrol sees the S U B A R U badge!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
133 Posts
thanks for all of the info... my desire to switch is cosmetic, prob just a waste of money for me to switch for no real reason so I guess ill keep an eye out for people selling onxy wheels (they would fit with the current tires correct?) and when I actually need to replace tires I can worry about tires and new wheels then
I'd sell mine, but they need to ship from Cali. $$$

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2020 limited with the stock 18's, I live in suburban NYC drive mostly on paved roads, I want to upgrade to better tires and change from the stock rims, why would I go to 17's? meaning is there any reason for street driving to have 17's vs 18's?

I really dont know much about tires and dont feel like the tire stores are giving me the right advice, example: I LOVE the look of LP adventure (LP1s) however I had two different shops tell me I have to lift my car in order to get them and I think they were screwing me around - does any one have them with out a lift?

thanks in advance for any help
If you like LP-1 wheels, please check out post 5508, page 276 of the "What did you do with your 5th Gen Outback today" thread. Member Legalizeit has not one but three great photos of your fave LP-1 with what I think is just the tire for you- Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in size 225/65-17. These tires are designed for folks who mostly drive on pavement- they are responsive, smooth riding, and quiet. When required, they will do anything you need- they are 3 peak mud/snow rated.They look really good on the LP wheels. Member SubieDubie also likes the Pirellis, but has his mounted on Method Race wheels. The MR wheels were purpose built by Method for the Subaru Rally Team. They are amazing, and my personal favorite. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you like LP-1 wheels, please check out post 5508, page 276 of the "What did you do with your 5th Gen Outback today" thread. Member Legalizeit has not one but three great photos of your fave LP-1 with what I think is just the tire for you- Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in size 225/65-17. These tires are designed for folks who mostly drive on pavement- they are responsive, smooth riding, and quiet. When required, they will do anything you need- they are 3 peak mud/snow rated.They look really good on the LP wheels. Member SubieDubie also likes the Pirellis, but has his mounted on Method Race wheels. The MR wheels were purpose built by Method for the Subaru Rally Team. They are amazing, and my personal favorite. Hope this helps!
thanks! looks great

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
133 Posts
Plus packaging. I have no idea what that would cost! At this time I'm leaning toward changing to 18" Falken Wildpeak tires on the stock rims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@josephine what did you end up doing with your wheels? We debated similar with our 2011 and eventually ended up purchasing separate winter tires and black wheels from Discount Tire. My wife loved the look of the new rims against her white outback so much she didn't want to put the summer tires/stock wheels back on. To resolve that, we changed the winter tires over to the stock rims and the summers to the new black rims. Since then I've plasti-dipped the stock rims so they are now black as well.

If you'd just like to check out the look, plasti-dip is drop dead simple and you can just peel it off if you don't like it. I'm pretty suprised how durable it's seemed thus far and have gone two winters w/out any peeling or chips whatsoever, and cost less than $10 to put about 5 coats on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@josephine what did you end up doing with your wheels? We debated similar with our 2011 and eventually ended up purchasing separate winter tires and black wheels from Discount Tire. My wife loved the look of the new rims against her white outback so much she didn't want to put the summer tires/stock wheels back on. To resolve that, we changed the winter tires over to the stock rims and the summers to the new black rims. Since then I've plasti-dipped the stock rims so they are now black as well.

If you'd just like to check out the look, plasti-dip is drop dead simple and you can just peel it off if you don't like it. I'm pretty suprised how durable it's seemed thus far and have gone two winters w/out any peeling or chips whatsoever, and cost less than $10 to put about 5 coats on all 4 wheels.
I havent done anything yet... this virus sorta stalled my plans... not sure what im going to do but I do know I want black wheels of some sort :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
As for 17's vs 18's. 17's will be a more comfortable ride due to there being a higher sidewall (more rubber). 18's will handle better but this is not a Porsche 911 so you will not notice a difference in performance. Manufacturers are using 18's now for looks to compete with one another and try to sell their product. People think 18's and 19's look better and are cool. 17's will also be less expensive which is a plus.

As for the WRG4 I had a set. They work good in winter but wear out way too fast. I currently have 2 sets of aftermarket 17" wheels for use in Canada. One for spring/summer/fall with BF Goodrich AT KO2 225/65/r17 at 42psi to match the same load handling as the OEM tires. For winter I have a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9's. The all terrains are so terrible on ice that I went with studded Nokians and they truly are amazing. I will never use a set of all-weather tires again as they are a compromise in each season and wear out too quickly.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts