Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Ltd. Ruby Red/Sun Roof/Prot.Pkg #01/Trailer Hitch/BS Moldings/Pinstripe
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Suby Shaker

If I’m reading you right, he offered you an exchange?
What happens if that one is a shaker too?

If he did offer an exchange, that is a very generous offer, much better than those that were told “we fixed it, what you feel is normal….adios sucka”, or in my case wouldn’t even bother to look at it in the first place due to a bad dealer that wouldn't make the request.

It seems like SOA is very spotty in this regard, I hope they do right by everybody.

Well, I'm back online with some more news. On September 1st, a Field Rep came down to put the TSB's on my car and train the other Service Techs on how to do it right. My car was the first one in this dealership to have the TSB's put on. When this happens, Subaru has one of their Field Techs to do it and train. I just happened to be able to talk to one of the Service Technicians at the Dealership and he was super nice. He told me everything they did. However, as I write, I was told they are test driving my car before they contact me. Do you want to know a little secret? Here is what was said, "It is a drastic improvement" Doesn't that just make you feel more comfortable? Oh, by the way, they also put on two new tires and did the Road Force Balance. I should be so lucky to have all this customer service every time I need to get rid of the shakes if they come back again. This is a real SUBY BOOBY if you ask me.

Okay, next update is when they call me to test drive the car. I'll keep in touch to let you know the outcome.

By the way, they didn't offer me an exchange because I never purchased the car. I refused the car. But the Rep did tell me I should go ahead and order another one if I felt better about that instead of taking my new TSB remanufactured one. Who knows, I may get unlucky a second time, but it may be worth trying. We'll see.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,128 Posts
Well, I'm back online with some more news. On September 1st, a Field Rep came down to put the TSB's on my car and train the other Service Techs on how to do it right. My car was the first one in this dealership to have the TSB's put on. When this happens, Subaru has one of their Field Techs to do it and train. I just happened to be able to talk to one of the Service Technicians at the Dealership and he was super nice. He told me everything they did. However, as I write, I was told they are test driving my car before they contact me. Do you want to know a little secret? Here is what was said, "It is a drastic improvement" Doesn't that just make you feel more comfortable? Oh, by the way, they also put on two new tires and did the Road Force Balance. I should be so lucky to have all this customer service every time I need to get rid of the shakes if they come back again. This is a real SUBY BOOBY if you ask me.

Okay, next update is when they call me to test drive the car. I'll keep in touch to let you know the outcome.

By the way, they didn't offer me an exchange because I never purchased the car. I refused the car. But the Rep did tell me I should go ahead and order another one if I felt better about that instead of taking my new TSB remanufactured one. Who knows, I may get unlucky a second time, but it may be worth trying. We'll see.:rolleyes:
Why take a shaker with a lot of work done on it to try and dampen out the shakes. From the info they provided you it's obvious that they don't know the root cause. I would wait a while until the shake is resolved, then re-order. Then you can have a true non-shaker without all the dampening junk.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Ltd. Ruby Red/Sun Roof/Prot.Pkg #01/Trailer Hitch/BS Moldings/Pinstripe
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Final update on subaru with tsb's done & test drive

Well, I finally got to drive our 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R today after all the TSB's were done. It was in the shop for almost 3 weeks. All I can say is it is worse than when we first drove it. The steering wheel still shakes/vibrates, but is not as visibly noticeable; but you can still feel it in your hands and it seems to vibrate now throughout the front of the car. You can actually hear the shaking through the wheels and front end. It was making a fast throbbing nose; so strange. I just don't know how to describe it. It was awful. The car also veered/pulled to the left when I let off the wheel. I was running the car around 65-75 mph and felt it at most of the higher speeds from 50 mph on up. The front wheels were also replaced before this test run. When I got the car after the TSB's were done, there was over 100 miles on it. Just to show you how many times they took it for a test drive before they let me take it out. When I first got the car, there were only 12 miles on it.

Anyway, we refused our Subaru and now we just sit and wait to see if Subaru comes clean and really (I MEAN REALLY) finds a fix for this problem. Right now it seems they are only dampening it. Too bad. I really loved our Suby; a really beautiful car otherwise. We were so tempted to order another one right away in hopes we wouldn't get a shaker this next time but our luck has not been so good. If we have to wait until next year to order another one, then so be it. Our dealership has done all they can to try to help us. Just wish Subaru had a magic wand, because they really need one right now. Once the Field Rep says the car has passed and they fixed the problem, there is nothing else Subaru can do for you, even if you don't feel it has been fixed to your staisfaction. Why take the chance? :confused: I think they need to look in their back yard and get rid of their lemon trees first. I wouldn't want to be picking any right now.

A little something I wrote about my Shaky Subaru!!!

My Shaky Subaru

I tried to be an Outback girl
And took my Subaru for a twirl
To only find a shaky wheel
And wondered what could cause this feel?

I left my car to be repaired.
My dealership showed some signs they cared.
So weeks went by when soon I found
A Subaru Rep would be around.

He dropped a TSB kit off
And told me not to scold or scoff,
As he would make my Outback right
And not make worse my woeful plight.

So, finally his Field Tech came;
Installed the kit. That was his aim.
Test drove my Outback many miles
And gave his blessing with a smile.

I got a call to get my car.
I zoomed on over; it wasn’t far.
Anxiety was all I felt.
I wasn’t sure what I’ve been dealt.

No sooner did I hit the road,
The shakes became the motherload
Compiled with noise, the car still hexed.
I had to say, with tears, “What Next?”

So, back I went with keys in hand
And left my Subaru to stand
Alone with all it’s quirks and shakes.
An Outback girl, it did not make.

Now, Subaru I call your name,
For you are whom we all should blame.
We need this problem fixed as vowed.
Stand up and make your customers proud.

By RML
Copyright 9-3-10

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
PLEASE SEE MY FINAL POST UNDER HEADING:::

Says FIXED with NEW Michelin Tires

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am so glad I found this site! I thought I was loosing my mind!!! I waited for my new Subie for 2 months before it came in to the Dealer for me to pick up. I have always wanted one, and finally, once the Explorer died (I put it into a guard rail while driving cross country, after hitting black ice on the highway), I was thrilled with the Subaru!

But, then I got this shimmy. I've had the tires rotated and balanced three time! I live out in the country, and closest dealership is 1.5 hours away. Thought I was loosing my mind. I only have 8k miles on mine, so I'll try the fix, and if it doesn't work, then I'll complain until they give me another new 2010 or 2011 Subaru Outback, Premier. I didn't but the high end model, nor low...just the middle. I'm really bummed about this problem!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did they ever get you a new Subaru? you can email me directly. i'm not happy after waiting for mine, I was soooooo excited, because I always wanted one, and when the Explorer finally died, I got my "dream" car! Then the shake problems! Please let me know. I'm an attorney, and won't put up with this. I paid good money for this car! you can email me on the yaho... at the soctomahdoll.
Thank you for all your posts. It's been really enlightening.
Debra Doll

·
Registered
2010 Outback R6
4 Posts
I have previously owned 4 Subarus (Forester, Outback Legacy & Impressa, Legacy GT wagon) all new and was extremely pleased with all of them. So I recently bought a 2010 Outback L6 in August.

I love the car and it's features. However, after delivery of the vehicle, I returned to the dealers to complain about steering wheel vibration. It was most noticeable at 110-120 kmh and very pronounced on certain road surfaces. The dealer's service manager inspected and replaced 2 tires (Continentals) and re-balanced all wheels. This lessened the vibration but did not eliminate it.

I again returned the vehicle (Aug 30th) and they installed a (TSB) steering dampener kit and steering wheel assembly/dampener. This greatly improved the situation but again did not eliminate the vibration.

I now have 8000+km on the vehicle and still have the vibration. While having the vehicle serviced (it's first @ 8,000K) I again discussed the vibration with the dealer's service manager. He promised to have a Subaru representative drive the vehicle. Apparently, during the road test, the vehicle was deemed "acceptable" and I was advised, "nothing more could be done" to rectify the problem.

I see on-line that a few of you have had the "fix" done but are still unhappy with the vibration problem. I recently contacted Subaru directly to report this on-going problem and have yet to hear back from them.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this gets fixed!!

·
Registered
2010 Outback R6
4 Posts
Had the "Fix" but still shaking!!

I have previously owned 4 Subarus (Forester, Outback Legacy & Impressa, Legacy GT wagon) all new and was extremely pleased with all of them. So I recently bought a 2010 Outback L6 in August.

I love the car and it's features. However, after delivery of the vehicle, I returned to the dealers to complain about steering wheel vibration. It was most noticeable at 110-120 kmh and very pronounced on certain road surfaces. The dealer's service manager inspected and replaced 2 tires (Continentals) and re-balanced all wheels. This lessened the vibration but did not eliminate it.

I again returned the vehicle (Aug 30th) and they installed a (TSB) steering dampener kit and steering wheel assembly/dampener. This greatly improved the situation but again did not eliminate the vibration.

I now have 8000+km on the vehicle and still have the vibration. While having the vehicle serviced (it's first @ 8,000K) I again discussed the vibration with the dealer's service manager. He promised to have a Subaru representative drive the vehicle. Apparently, during the road test, the vehicle was deemed "acceptable" and I was advised, "nothing more could be done" to rectify the problem.

I see on-line that a few of you have had the "fix" done but are still unhappy with the vibration problem. I recently contacted Subaru directly to report this on-going problem and have yet to hear back from them.

·
Registered
406 Posts

I think your mistake was not demanding to participate in the test drive and hear the results first hand. If you do not have the name of the SCI person who did the test drive, you need to get it. I trust dealers about .. well I don't trust them after all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2010 OB and a 2011 Legacy. I have been having trouble with the Legacy shaking. They replaced 3 tires to no avail. They said it was the road causing the shaking. I bought a new set of tires, Goodyear Comfort Assurance Touring, out of my pocket because they deserted me. The zone Rep is Dave Hebert, he pretty much said tough. Wendy Clough, Suby Customer Rep told me my fix (buying tires because they couldn't/wouldn't fix it) wasn't a suby recommended fix. and if I did that they are done with the car. I also paid for road force balancing, 3.5 kg,3.0 kg,6 kg, and 7.5 kg. The shake moved and the shimmy is still there. So now I have a 30,000 car with 6k on it that is good for a diet shaker, but not much else. I can't take it out on the road pase 50 mph. SOA won't answer my e-mails, won't call. that is treating your customers well. this is my 8th Subaru. My Outback drifts also and will not drive in a straight line without constant correction, I am at loss. I have $62,000 worth of cars that need some attention, but I have been deserted by Subaru. HELP

·
Registered
2011, OB 3.6r Ltd/Nav
97 Posts
I have a 2010 OB and a 2011 Legacy. I have been having trouble with the Legacy shaking. They replaced 3 tires to no avail. They said it was the road causing the shaking. I bought a new set of tires, Goodyear Comfort Assurance Touring, out of my pocket because they deserted me. The zone Rep is Dave Hebert, he pretty much said tough. Wendy Clough, Suby Customer Rep told me my fix (buying tires because they couldn't/wouldn't fix it) wasn't a suby recommended fix. and if I did that they are done with the car. I also paid for road force balancing, 3.5 kg,3.0 kg,6 kg, and 7.5 kg. The shake moved and the shimmy is still there. So now I have a 30,000 car with 6k on it that is good for a diet shaker, but not much else. I can't take it out on the road pase 50 mph. SOA won't answer my e-mails, won't call. that is treating your customers well. this is my 8th Subaru. My Outback drifts also and will not drive in a straight line without constant correction, I am at loss. I have $62,000 worth of cars that need some attention, but I have been deserted by Subaru. HELP
Have your stock tires put back on and take it back to the dealer where you purchase it and contact your State Attorney General's office. If the TSB hasn't been applied to your car it needs to be. Then the dealer needs to rebalance the tires. Hopefully you have all your documentation of who, what and when for the Attorney General's Office so you can show that the Dealer unfairly denied your claim. If you just started having work done on the car without the dealer being in the loop then you may very well be on your own. I don't know why you would do that with a brand new car with only 6K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have your stock tires put back on and take it back to the dealer where you purchase it and contact your State Attorney General's office. If the TSB hasn't been applied to your car it needs to be. Then the dealer needs to rebalance the tires. Hopefully you have all your documentation of who, what and when for the Attorney General's Office so you can show that the Dealer unfairly denied your claim. If you just started having work done on the car without the dealer being in the loop then you may very well be on your own. I don't know why you would do that with a brand new car with only 6K miles.[/QUOTE

I have been to the dealer no less than 9 documented times, They replaced 3 tires and the zone rep called it good, it shakes the whole car, dismissed it as road condition, the road was paved last fall, new asphalt.

I have been dealing with SOA, now I get no replys. I got frustrated with SOA and bought tires to get rid of the shimmy/shake. I gave the take offs to my son with a 2007 WRX he says they don't shimmy/shake and ride smooth as silk with just normal balancing. I guess I'll try the lemon law next, I have to have a car I can drive.

·
Registered
2011, OB 3.6r Ltd/Nav
97 Posts
Have your stock tires put back on and take it back to the dealer where you purchase it and contact your State Attorney General's office. If the TSB hasn't been applied to your car it needs to be. Then the dealer needs to rebalance the tires. Hopefully you have all your documentation of who, what and when for the Attorney General's Office so you can show that the Dealer unfairly denied your claim. If you just started having work done on the car without the dealer being in the loop then you may very well be on your own. I don't know why you would do that with a brand new car with only 6K miles.[/QUOTE

I have been to the dealer no less than 9 documented times, They replaced 3 tires and the zone rep called it good, it shakes the whole car, dismissed it as road condition, the road was paved last fall, new asphalt.

I have been dealing with SOA, now I get no replys. I got frustrated with SOA and bought tires to get rid of the shimmy/shake. I gave the take offs to my son with a 2007 WRX he says they don't shimmy/shake and ride smooth as silk with just normal balancing. I guess I'll try the lemon law next, I have to have a car I can drive.
If the tires where bad they would have been covered under warranty and subsequently part of the lemon law complaint. I would switch tires with your son and act like nothing happened before you move forward with the lemon law. Your son will thank you for the new set of tires.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R Moonroof White Pearl
61 Posts
dbeer - do a search for my posts. There is a process a dealer must go through to get their money back from SOA. I was faced with a bit of obfuscation and denial early on, but once I mentioned the lemon law to the service manager and his assistant, the change in attitude bordered on the miraculous! Read my posts and youll have a record of the process from beginning to end... a buyback of my 2011 3.6 Limited with 8,700 miles on it - got every red cent back I'd put into the car. You will too, if it comes to that. Just play their game, be polite but firm, stick to your guns and all will be well. longjnsilver

·
Registered
10 Posts
dbeer - do a search for my posts. There is a process a dealer must go through to get their money back from SOA. I was faced with a bit of obfuscation and denial early on, but once I mentioned the lemon law to the service manager and his assistant, the change in attitude bordered on the miraculous! Read my posts and youll have a record of the process from beginning to end... a buyback of my 2011 3.6 Limited with 8,700 miles on it - got every red cent back I'd put into the car. You will too, if it comes to that. Just play their game, be polite but firm, stick to your guns and all will be well. longjnsilver

Thanks, will do!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get another Outback??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, just registered on this forum, wanted to share my story real quick.

I just bought an outback today. I had my mind set on a white outback 3.6L with navi, so I went to the dealer (livermore, dealer Lupon was great) and test drove the car with the trim I wanted.

On the highway I felt a loud vibration, felt like I was in a vibrating chair when I got abouve 40mph, steering wheel shook too. I came in and was like "Is this for real? Am I imagining this?

So the salesperson let me try another car, (non navigation 3.6L) - I drove it and it seemed very smooth on the highway. But I still wanted one with Navi, so I tried the only other white 3.6L with navi on the lot.

Guess what, Navi car #2 also shook like a leaf on the highway too!

So I decided to forgo the Navi and buy the non-Navi White 3.6L Outback. Seems to ride great, very smooth, no shake whatsoever.

After getting home I wonder about this (I have never heard of the outback shake until after the purchase) so I search online and find all these issues with the shake! I suspect subaru fixed the problem in the most recently manufactured vehicles, because the vehicle I ultimately ended up buying was manufactured in 5/2011 (this month!!) The other two vehicles with navi, I don't know when they were manfactured, but I suspect they have been on the lot longer.

Moral is, if you are going to buy an Outback, make sure you pay close attention to highway speed shake, and consider getting a more recently manufactured one!!

My 2 cents.

By the way these were the two cars which had really bad shake in them:
http://www.livermoresubaru.com/new/Subaru/2011-Subaru-Outback-aac8bea90a0a006401b3d448f14c325c.htm
VIN: 4S4BRDLC5B2407780

http://www.livermoresubaru.com/new/Subaru/2011-Subaru-Outback-35e236bd0a0a00de001698b95b09be7a.htm
VIN: 4S4BRDLC6B2408825

I notified Lupon about these two cars having serious shaking issues. But I don't think a lowly salesperson will really do too much about it! :)

·
Registered
2010 cvt 2.5 white
568 Posts
More than half the cars did not shake when bought, mine included. It showed up later. Good luck to you.

Hi guys, just registered on this forum, wanted to share my story real quick.

I just bought an outback today. I had my mind set on a white outback 3.6L with navi, so I went to the dealer (livermore, dealer Lupon was great) and test drove the car with the trim I wanted.

On the highway I felt a loud vibration, felt like I was in a vibrating chair when I got abouve 40mph, steering wheel shook too. I came in and was like "Is this for real? Am I imagining this?

So the salesperson let me try another car, (non navigation 3.6L) - I drove it and it seemed very smooth on the highway. But I still wanted one with Navi, so I tried the only other white 3.6L with navi on the lot.

Guess what, Navi car #2 also shook like a leaf on the highway too!

So I decided to forgo the Navi and buy the non-Navi White 3.6L Outback. Seems to ride great, very smooth, no shake whatsoever.

After getting home I wonder about this (I have never heard of the outback shake until after the purchase) so I search online and find all these issues with the shake! I suspect subaru fixed the problem in the most recently manufactured vehicles, because the vehicle I ultimately ended up buying was manufactured in 5/2011 (this month!!) The other two vehicles with navi, I don't know when they were manfactured, but I suspect they have been on the lot longer.

Moral is, if you are going to buy an Outback, make sure you pay close attention to highway speed shake, and consider getting a more recently manufactured one!!

My 2 cents.

By the way these were the two cars which had really bad shake in them:
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited w/Power Moonroof/Nav For Sale | Livermore CA .
VIN: 4S4BRDLC5B2407780

Livermore Subaru 866-669-4101 Dealer Livermore Tracy Dublin California CA
VIN: 4S4BRDLC6B2408825

I notified Lupon about these two cars having serious shaking issues. But I don't think a lowly salesperson will really do too much about it! :)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts