Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
By the way these were the two cars which had really bad shake in them:
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited w/Power Moonroof/Nav For Sale | Livermore CA .
VIN: 4S4BRDLC5B2407780

Livermore Subaru 866-669-4101 Dealer Livermore Tracy Dublin California CA
VIN: 4S4BRDLC6B2408825

I notified Lupon about these two cars having serious shaking issues. But I don't think a lowly salesperson will really do too much about it! :)
yeowza...putting the shakers online...VINs and all. That may open up someone's eyes...nice move...

Registered
2008 Outback WGN 2.5i Auto
Why I'm keeping the 2008

Below is why I will hold on to the 2008 Outback until they can no longer find parts for it. I also like the looks better than the 4th or 2nd generation Outbacks, sorry. :)
Hello Fellow Suby Shakers,

I want to let you know I finally got to speak to a Subaru Representative in person. I couldn't believe it. He is the District Operations Manager in my area. He was very nice and listened to all I had to say. However, I can't give any of you good news. He told me Subaru is doing all they can to get this problem resolved. He said they were speaking with their other plants; figuring out other solutions and are trying everything they can to get this under control. But, no clue as to what it is yet. They know the kits aren't complete solutions to the problem and may help some, but what else can they do? They are trying to make people happy. I'm sure they are hoping the dealerships will help find this problem for them. And, yes, some of the Legacy's are involved in the shakes, too.

He dropped off a kit for my car and as I write, they are working on it. They tried 5 sets of different tires on my car and none of them worked. The dealership stopped work on my car until the Rep came in to test drive the car and talk with them. So, I have two options. I was told to order another car in hopes it will come in without the shakes and to see how I like the fix on my first car after the kit is put on. The Rep told me Subaru will stand by its customers. I asked him if Subaru will stand by their customers after 36,000 miles and he said, yes. I told him yes is nice to hear from him, but that wasn't enough for me and said they need to extend the warranty legally. I told him if Subaru doesn't do it, a class action lawsuit may help them along. He was very nice but really couldn't tell me something he didn't know. So, CLUELESS still hangs in the air.

I hope I didn't give you any hope. As I know, there is no real fix. I'm in a fix now and don't know what I am going to do. I guess driving a Toyota Venza may not be so bad after all. This was what I was looking at before I ordered the Subaru Outback. At least I can walk away from all of this; not like some others.

Registered
Below is why I will hold on to the 2008 Outback until they can no longer find parts for it. I also like the looks better than the 4th or 2nd generation Outbacks, sorry. :)
I have found that what the rep said regarding subaru standing behind their customer for bad or faulty parts is true that is why I bought another subaru and probably a major reason why we have more subaru's in the family now.

The Shake issue does seem to be an isolated issue I have driven one which was officially a shaker not a car off the lot with unknown tires or other issues causing a shake - and own two very early 2010's which are shake free.

Registered
There is a "vibration kit" for the 2010s and 2011s where they replace the steering column, various amounts of mounts and bushings. I can give specific details tomorrow when i get to work. Its about $2,800 worth of parts and labor if not more. It has fixed about 18 outbacks that have came into our service department.

Registered
There is a "vibration kit" for the 2010s and 2011s where they replace the steering column, various amounts of mounts and bushings. I can give specific details tomorrow when i get to work. Its about $2,800 worth of parts and labor if not more. It has fixed about 18 outbacks that have came into our service department.
Has this been used on any 2012"s?

Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
That is one expensive bandaid!
It does't take much- I had my entire drivers side seat cushion/fabric replaced and a a pillar molding rattle fixed and it was close to 800 dollars. This is on a 12 impreza

Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
Yes. The 'fix' components were introduced into production ~ March/April 2011.
I find the above quote to be very interesting as I have a 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium that I just purchased a month and a half ago and I have the steering wheel vibration exactly as described by 2010 and 2011 posters on this forum and it is identical to the videos of the same problem that I have found on You Tube. If they did include the fix on 2012 models it didn't stop the problem which right now is driving me up a wall as I primarily do highway driving over the magical 60 MPH mark. If anyone else has had a 2012 'fixed' I would appreciate hearing what was done by the dealer other than the road force balance which we already tried. Thanks much.

Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
I find the above quote to be very interesting as I have a 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium that I just purchased a month and a half ago and I have the steering wheel vibration exactly as described by 2010 and 2011 posters on this forum and it is identical to the videos of the same problem that I have found on You Tube. If they did include the fix on 2012 models it didn't stop the problem which right now is driving me up a wall as I primarily do highway driving over the magical 60 MPH mark. If anyone else has had a 2012 'fixed' I would appreciate hearing what was done by the dealer other than the road force balance which we already tried. Thanks much.
there is no "fix" you know it,i know it,and so does soa. it's just your band-aid isn't performing as well as others.:D

Registered
DFFE -- tires can do this also. I have a 2010 with 40K on it smooth as a baby's butt as long as the crap continentals hold their balance which they don't hold for very long. About ever 12,000 miles all 4 of the continentals have required sizable changes to the balance weights to keep them smooth the car is smooth when the tires aren't going to crap.

Replacing ours very soon. Also don't curb the continentals I picked up a good shake this past week during a road trip after curbing my tire on a hill. Old San Francisco habit believe it or not they still write tickets in SF for not curbing your tires!

Registered
Outback Steering Wheel Shake

Hello Fellow Shakers,

Just joining this forum after buying a new set of 4 Yokohama tires for my 2011 Outback. The first set - Continentals - were balanced several times by car and tire dealers but as you all know, that did not fix the problem. Since a couple were out of round, I thought tire replacement would solve the problem. But when I had the NEW tires balanced twice with no improvement, I read about the problem and your group on the 'net so here I am.

I plan to contact a dealer and start the painful process many of you have gone through. But first - can someone please tell me where I can get my own copy of the relevant TSBs?

Will be glad to update this forum on results of my repairs.

Thanks,
BillyJim

Registered
I have a 2011 Outback and it is out of warranty - I have a vibration but only when applying brake - do you think this is related? and any hope if I am out of warranty

Registered
I have a 2011 Outback and it is out of warranty - I have a vibration but only when applying brake - do you think this is related? and any hope if I am out of warranty
Nope its called build up on the brake discs caused by brake material being baked into the disc. This can go away if the braking behavior is not causing it with every use. Think of it as brake material being cooked onto the flat surface of the rotor caused by getting the brakes nice and hot then sitting with a heavy foot smashing the hot brake pad into the disk at say a long stop light. This type of brake use causes this.

How do you avoid it? Stop so you have room to creep forward and don't smash the pedal down like the car is keeping the Planet from rotating while waiting for the light to change.

How can you fix it? If the build up isn't bad some times you can get the brakes and discs heated up like on a long down hill highway run and burn off the build up on the discs then let them cool down without sitting there with the car stopped and brakes smashed down hard. If the build up is severe the only fix is to have the discs turned to remove the build up and uneven spots.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts