Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I want to get a current-model Outback, either new or used, and like the look of the tan leather. However, it strikes me that it might be a maintenance nightmare. Several new cars I looked at on the dealer's lot already had dirt marks on the arm rest and door pulls.

I'm not a cleanliness fanatic, mostly because I haven't had to be --- my '02 Legacy has grey cloth that never shows dirt. (I'd hate to think how dirty the seats really are.)

How prone to looking dirty is the tan leather?

Cheers,
Toby.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just sold mine with 50K on a 2012 the tan leather looked brand new. One tip, keep Blue Jeans off of it. Sit on a white towel when you wear jeans. Also I us Sonax leather cleaner. Works great,

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
So far so good 48K - kids - dogs + camping. Did I say kids? To my surprise as it was a big worry it has been a non issue. Simple wipe down every so often keeps it clean.

The cloth seats in the premium owned by a family member? Not so much kids never enter the car till the seat is covered up with a sheet or towel and the kids are wiped clean before entering the car. LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good comments, thanks. Unfortunately I wear blue jeans almost every day, and the thought of having to put a barrier between me and the seat is unappealing. How much blue dye is likely to transfer? Can I clean it off easily enough?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Good comments, thanks. Unfortunately I wear blue jeans almost every day, and the thought of having to put a barrier between me and the seat is unappealing. How much blue dye is likely to transfer? Can I clean it off easily enough?
Depends on the jeans - I don't see much of an issue and wear them pretty much every day. Seems to wipe off with a standard leather oil cleaner.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just cleaned mine but before , yes I did notice a blue tint on the driver side edge . Used a Mr clean sponge with dish soap then let it dry then meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner. The blue comes right off.
Overall does a good job but yes the tan color is not the best hiding being dirty. Plans are to have it detailed in /out with leather cleaned.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Prior subaru was black leather. It might have hid the blue jean stuff but it showed every little scratch and wear spot and dust. Having had both I would probably go for the lighter color again. Middle ground some place around the saddle brown would be interesting in the right colored car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like the tan to but thinking when mine wears out go with aftermarket leather. I do like the saddle brown will perfect with ext color of metallic bronze.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
More or less interior seat color is sort of like the exterior color. Dark paints show every little imperfection and all the spotting and dirt. Lighter colors hide imperfections better but in some cases dark colored stains or dirt will show up.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
A graphite gray leather might be the best happy medium, but I am not sure if that is available in current gen Outbacks.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
its not, maybe katzkin has it. neoprene is so much better. my daughter goes into the woods with me every other day when I take the dog to run. her boots are covered with mud and she walks over everything inside my car. when I get home and the mud is dry I just lightly brush it off with my hand and the seats look like they did before the mud. the leather seats in my wife's impreza, which I call slip n' slide cuz you go all over the place as you go around a turn, get so hot in the summer. it's like touching a burner on the stove. my neoprene seats have none of those problems and offer slightly more padding and add a little durability. leather might be a little better than cloth, but they both suck ****.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Bradz had that type of cover on my drivers seat in the LC. Wasn't bad but durability isn't really there. Faded big time in just a years time and I had to be cautious about getting in wet after loading the boat on the boat ramp the seat cover would hold the water for a long time and damage the actual seat. The higher end covers that have a water proof backing and tighter fit would have been better but they aren't cheap.

For sure the leather seats are slick and can be an interesting experience if your getting sporty with the car. Probably why the sporty cars often have the center butt patch covered in grippy suede.

Though I'm still waiting for the Car commercial that points out they have a A$$ grip system built into their seats to keep you planted ha ha....

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
its not, maybe katzkin has it. neoprene is so much better. my daughter goes into the woods with me every other day when I take the dog to run. her boots are covered with mud and she walks over everything inside my car. when I get home and the mud is dry I just lightly brush it off with my hand and the seats look like they did before the mud. the leather seats in my wife's impreza, which I call slip n' slide cuz you go all over the place as you go around a turn, get so hot in the summer. it's like touching a burner on the stove. my neoprene seats have none of those problems and offer slightly more padding and add a little durability. leather might be a little better than cloth, but they both suck ****.
Brad, where did you find your seat covers?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
I have tan leather in my Gen 3. It cleans up very nicely with leather cleaner and a toothbrush. You have to use the toothbrush to get the dirt out of the leather grain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm definitely feeling more reassured now.

So the dark leather can scratch easily? Or does it take some effort?

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I have put 36k on my '12 in a year. I wear blue jeans or nothing, almost always. Never been a problem. I wipe the seats with Lexol about every 3 months (I live in NM, it is very dry here.)

Of course, on the rare occasion that I get new jeans, I wash them before I wear them, otherwise I look like a smurf from the waist down.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts