Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been gone over in several posts whether these do anything, but does anyone know if there is a difference between these? Should I choose based on price/looks? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Tanabe allows you to set the preload with the vehicle raised off the ground / weight off the strut towers. I know that GT spec does not allow this. I am not familiar with the SPT bar.

For me the Tanabe is cheaper and it allows preload, so between the GT spec and the Tanabe I think the Tanabe is the better choice. I will say that the GT spec is a better looking bar (more shiny!), but how much do you really look under there anyhow?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have to raise the car to install all of these? I know for the tanabe you do. What benefit is it setting the preload? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Do you have to raise the car to install all of these? I know for the tanabe you do. What benefit is it setting the preload? Thanks.
Yes you do.

From what I have read, the idea is that it braces the strut towers in the "neutral zone" of their flex, hence the installation with the wheels off the ground and the strut towers unloaded. One could argue that this sets you up for some negative camber since alignment is set with the vehicle on the ground, but whether this is significant or not is arguable...(It's an outback!), especially since camber (AFAIK) is not adjustable on the OB.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered SPT front strut bar from subarupartswarehouse. I will let you know how it is when it gets here and I get it on. Any tools needed to install?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just ordered SPT front strut bar from subarupartswarehouse. I will let you know how it is when it gets here and I get it on. Any tools needed to install?
Just a socket and ratchet. I'd recommend a torque wrench to reinstall, I believe torque on the strut mount bolts is 16-18 ft lbs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SPT strut bar just came in. $225 from subarupartswarehouse.com. Hopefully I'll get to install it this weekend. The instructions specifically say to install it with full weight on the wheels. I'll let you know how it is.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i got a gt-spec front and back strut bars i love them, wasn't hard to put them on, and yeah it needs to be weight on wheels, if you jacked it up the struts hang abit loose its better to have the weight pushing up on the strut it self... but let us know on how that SPT works for you...also got anymore mods?

·
Registered
982 Posts
SPT strut bar just came in. $225 from subarupartswarehouse.com. Hopefully I'll get to install it this weekend. The instructions specifically say to install it with full weight on the wheels. I'll let you know how it is.
I forget do you have a 13 or older?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
im curious how its possible to raise the car and install strut towers? if the top nuts are removed the struts will just fall out. i put a strut tower bar on all my cars since '05.

·
Registered
982 Posts
im curious how its possible to raise the car and install strut towers? if the top nuts are removed the struts will just fall out. i put a strut tower bar on all my cars since '05.
I don't think that would ever be a good idea but its possible that the lower control arm would not extend far enough down to drop the struts all the way out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I have a 13. No other mods yet, but seeing how this goes, my next one may be the STI rsb. I'm also going to get the legacy lights whenever they're available. kmssgoten, I love what you've done to yours. I'm a huge Philadelphia Flyers fan, so I'm loving the orange and black.
bradze, nickshu said he had to raise his to install the tanabe, so I was going by that until I read the instructions. Keep up with your mods too. Been following your thread for a while.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yeah, I have a 13. No other mods yet, but seeing how this goes, my next one may be the STI rsb. I'm also going to get the legacy lights whenever they're available. kmssgoten, I love what you've done to yours. I'm a huge Philadelphia Flyers fan, so I'm loving the orange and black.
bradze, nickshu said he had to raise his to install the tanabe, so I was going by that until I read the instructions. Keep up with your mods too. Been following your thread for a while.
I'd recommend the RSB. My car feels balanced now front to rear where as before the rear was a little soft. Now you're going to have a pretty locked front end so I would imagine the RSB is worth it for you.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
To install the Tanabe strut brace, you jack up the car after fitting the strutbar and lightly tighten the nuts on the strut bolts so that the whole assembly doesn't fall out but still is loose enough for the adjustment.

·
Registered
648 Posts
next one may be the STI rsb... kmssgoten, I love what you've done to yours. I'm a huge Philadelphia Flyers fan, so I'm loving the orange and black.
LOL funny i married one (flyers fan) so i am one now by law :) , but the car is graphite gray with black grill and orange others, its was dark out by the time i was done and i am using my phone to take pics so they didn't come out as well, but thanks lol :29:

as for the RSB see if you cant find a used one first, i got mine for free from my dealership

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
the sti rsb i got for $80 off somebody at nasioc. 2 months later on iwsti, someone told me theyd give me one for free if i just paid the shipping. try impreza forums, everyone with an sti upgrades because its the thing to do when you have a car like that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
11 Participants
pt37
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing