Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the noise sticky, I'll do my best to explain this issue. It's been bugging me a few while now and want to tap the forum before taking it in to a mechanic.

A. When does the sound happen?
  • On throttle
B. Where does the sound come from?
  • Front
C. Does the sound vary with some condition?
  • Varies according to some other condition
D. Is there a vibration associated with the noise?
  • No vibration.
E. Does it affect drive-ability? how? (Essay question, 2500 words or less)

This issue has gotten progressively more noticeable over the last few weeks/miles driven. On acceleration, usually starting in 3rd gear, I notice a consistent tapping/clicking noise from what seems to be the front passenger side of the car. It is NOT speed or RPM dependent, although it seems to occur above 2500 rpm.

The noise only occurs when pressure is applied to the throttle AND when in gear. I've never reproduced or noticed the sound in neutral or when coasting in gear. The sound occurs in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears while accelerating at a non-aggressive pace. The sound also occurs when going up hill in those gears and I have to apply more pressure to the accelerator.

The car does not lose power and there is no slipping or grinding in the lower gears when accelerating hard.

I've got close to 110,000 miles on the car now. It's a 5-speed. I'm in a new city and don't have access to my old trusted garage back home. Thanks!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
wheel bearing. subaru wheel bearings generally are tricky and can pass traditional tests, i've found it nearly useless to "check for play" as apparently works on other/older vehicles. use a temperature infrared gun, awesome toys - compare passengers and drivers side - will take a few readings to see a pattern but one will be hotter than the other...particularly since you said it's getting worse.

sometimes a mechanics stethoscope on the hub/knuckle/strut assembly while rotating the tire by hand (tire off ground) will reveal the noise too.

could also be the a CV axle, this becomes more likely if the axle has ever been replaced.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CV axle was replaced 10-15k miles ago. Can't remember the manufacturer of the axle, but I haven't had any vibration issues (as experienced with some folks in this forum).

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just remembered this too, and don't know if it could be related to the wheel bearing.

Sometimes, but not always, there is a womp womp womp noise during braking at very slow speeds. The "womp" slows depending on the speed. Kind of sounds like a grinding womp sound.

And while I'm at it, there's sometimes some high-speed shutters/shaking in the steering wheel at high speeds. But this could be a separate issue: pad/rotor unevenness or tie rods? But I wanted to list all these symptoms in case they're inter-related. One thing at a time =)

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Just remembered this too, and don't know if it could be related to the wheel bearing.

Sometimes, but not always, there is a womp womp womp noise during braking at very slow speeds. The "womp" slows depending on the speed. Kind of sounds like a grinding womp sound.

And while I'm at it, there's sometimes some high-speed shutters/shaking in the steering wheel at high speeds. But this could be a separate issue: pad/rotor unevenness or tie rods? But I wanted to list all these symptoms in case they're inter-related. One thing at a time =)
Get the wheel bearing checked. Check the lug nuts for proper torque.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
CV axle was replaced 10-15k miles ago. Can't remember the manufacturer of the axle, but I haven't had any vibration issues (as experienced with some folks in this forum).
aftermarket axles suck - happens all the time.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took a look under the hood the other day and discovered the driver's side cv is starting to leak grease. Could the axle/knuckle cause the sound I originally described? As I said though, this sound doesn't happen when turning--only accelerating.

I plan on getting this checked out soon. I'll update when I find something else out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts