Status
Not open for further replies.
381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
I called by Buddy Doug @SR. He said, we don;t ever even pull them, I can get them so cheap. "I said ... lay your hook up on me"

All the local Front Range Salvage places are all connected now with some PPL parts network or something.This was the same place I got my ECU and my propshaft. I think all three are out of the same car.

The last (3) times I called SR for anything ... I got referred to several salvage places much close to me than Boulder. I road a pedal bike from my place to grab the ECU.

Arvada Auto Salvage....They were almost apologetic it didn't come with the fuel pump assembly and sending unit.

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Beat up hard

Well 10 hours (give or take) on cold concrete will take it's toll on anyone. After a soak in the tub, I was back in the braces. I also took a hit in the head from the exhaust midpipe we had to cut.

I don't mind a little pain and wrenching fatigue for an XT tho...you don't want to see my hands tho. They look like a falcon roost....

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,779 Posts
I asked here about Longboarder's 3.6 supercharger
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/465457-h6-xt.html#post5296225

Raptor does NOT have the customer service, of say CKE SSP

I have all the support cooling systems chosen. We are waiting on Raptor product offerings and options. Commincation is somewhat laborious. I am a detail guy...give me specs and feedback.

Marketing is for sheep.

We have a road map. We just need to set the push-pins.
I am thinking you should start a build thread on this forum, on Raptor supercharging Longboarder's car. = ( @LNGBRDNPWDR )

maybe state that to Raptor,...what with all the H6 people that are on this forum.
(...probably more on here then any other forum in the known universe.).

and what is special about longboarder's car: it drag races at the big strip in Denver. = where H6 and turbo subarus own the streets. and the drag cars loose so much zip from the thin air vs. down at sea level. ( ...every grocery getter wagon, NEEDS forced induction).

maybe Raptor would help more.

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
You know I will. He won't have the time. Well maybe if I'm wrenching.

There is nothing to report, and I am not sure of the timing either. Other than wanting to be done to spank my butt at the show on the strip.

I know with his 20mm rear bar and CKE SSP performance sway bar bushings all the way around ... at least she's locked down a bit better than stock. I might be able to get hum on a road, or autox course.
I am not sure there will be an open ice day this season either. Hard to say.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
says right on the bottom of the post:

"Last edited by eagleeye; 01-03-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: this thread needs more low brow humor. "
So it does. I don't think I ever noticed that tag line before. i see it on my own posts. But I guess I wasn't looking. I think all of this warm weather when it's supposed to be winter is making me soft in the brow ...

It must be all that empty add space under the beer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,

I saw you do work around Denver, I live in the Cap Hill area. My girlfriend recently bought an 09 outback 2.5 xt with around 81k miles.

I don't know much about subies, but from what i've been reading it looks like she probably needs a timing belt (and most likely a few other things) ASAP. She was previously going to the Autonation dealer in Centennial, but they don't seem too great/trustworthy.

I was wondering if you would be willing to do that work (plus other stuff as you see fit)?

I can't PM as a new user, but was hoping to find an alternative way to get in contact with you.

Thanks,
Ty

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Hey,

I saw you do work around Denver, I live in the Cap Hill area. My girlfriend recently bought an 09 outback 2.5 xt with around 81k miles.

I don't know much about subies, but from what i've been reading it looks like she probably needs a timing belt (and most likely a few other things) ASAP. She was previously going to the Autonation dealer in Centennial, but they don't seem too great/trustworthy.

I was wondering if you would be willing to do that work (plus other stuff as you see fit)?

I can't PM as a new user, but was hoping to find an alternative way to get in contact with you.

Thanks,
Ty
Of course ... This is why I am here. AutoNation is a relatively generic dealer.

There's an email in my signature.

[email protected] yahoo and gmail work also.

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
tdck gets a new tool

I don't know much about subies, but from what i've been reading it looks like she probably needs a timing belt (and most likely a few other things) ASAP.

The above XT will be in the garage this weekend. We have been chatting off-forum. I supposed we are being a little aggressive in order to be conservative? We are doing the TB and all the hardware. All of the parts are going to OEM. (right on, huh?) Since it's an XT, I decided to invest in a cool tool. I usually use a combination of bungee corded and zip-tied redneck hexes to keep the cams from moving. I didn't want cams slipping right in front of a member on their car.

It isn't cheap, I needed it with 2day shipping to ensure I get it without issue before Saturday. But making a good impression is worth every investment. I will be proudly using my redneck crank and cam sprocket tools, however. Almost bought a cam tool also. I am willing to bet $ the cam seal on a 80+K miles '09 are in fine condition.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts
Of course ... This is why I am here. AutoNation is a relatively generic dealer.

There's an email in my signature.

[email protected] yahoo and gmail work also.

is that the same autonation location that silver XT francine came from? ...just before its powerplant ...imploded

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
is that the same autonation location that silver XT francine came from? ...just before its powerplant ...imploded
Same chain, not the same dealer. I think they all used to be John Elway dealers. I bought Frankie from a Nissan dealer. And they are generic, but I luv their 30 day off the lot warranty. I didn't give them any choice tho. Warranty (whatever it really covered) or No. When your car is 2 weeks old on an $16K tag, and implodes...the dealer fixes it. In my book at least.

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
CV Shaft Almost Kicked my Arse

Well here we go ...

It took me over a hour to bust my nut. That b*tch was tough. I had to give 36" or more to break her. But she took it all and in the end, it all worked out.

"we are still doing phasing, right?"

The outer joint on the old shaft was definitely notchy and clunky. The new Cardone axle seems to be of very high quality. The rest of the install was very uneventful. I used my classic "tagger" procedure with the strut/knuckle. @Jimi1976 's car still has cam strut bolts with marks/notches. Most cars I touch don't. So this is habit. It's every easy to get the strut back in the exact position this way.

The whole job was 2 hours, with an hour on the the nut. Impact was useless. I managed to break a sh*tty breaker bar and a Harbor Freight torque wrench. My fault on both.

Inital driving impressions are the axles is fine. No noticable vibrations in gear or at speed. However, This car has Gen2 KYBs (we did those) in the rear and the handling felt slow...

When you are friends with tdck, you get benefits. New CKE SSP RSBB did the trick....

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts
is that a new axle or a rebuilt axle.? (napa sells both,...think I would go with the new one).

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
is that a new axle or a rebuilt axle.? (napa sells both,...think I would go with the new one).
Ok both are produced by Cardone. The reman is $76 out of Napa. The new was $96. For $20, the core isn't worth the hassle. Plus Mitchell from FWE will give me $20 for the one we pulled out of the car. Maybe, the last axle I brought him, he gave me $20.

The specs on the new bits are the same. So with a reman, you get new joints, boots...all they reuse is the barrels, the axle stub and the shaft. Sounds like $20 was a steal....

I took it out an autoX'd it in the vacant K-Mart parking lot. I can feel the difference with the RSBB. It's subtle on a stock car ... but I could feel the *ss end want to track out, just a bit.

Nicezzzz....

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Timing Belt-ala-grande

Today was an '09 OBXT for timing belt-ala-grande, I will call it. The WP, (4) cams seal and the crank seal. 87K miles and less than 10 years ... OK we were early. The crank and cam seals were fine, but, since we were there...

This was probably the toughest timing belt job I have ever done, and I even had the fancy cam lock tool. 1st off, everything was a b*tch to break loose. I also found out the crank tool that works on all my other jobs didn't work here. The bolt spacing was off. It didn't matter anyway since the crank bolt was about 300 ft/lbs and about broke my breaker bar. 24" with a 24" cheater. Nearly broke my back also.

The cam bolts, not much better. They install at 22 ft/lbs plus 45* more. They had to be 140 if they we 20. It took close to 2 hour messing with those. And I cracked/broke the rear timing cover on the driver's side. So that had to come off for repair. It definitely did not warrant a new cover. Sure if Mike Shaw had one in stock ($25) we'd have done it. But ($38) all the way out in Boulder ... a little superglue, then some bondo...some matte black paint ... almost good as new. Luv it when you and the customer hear a crack, then the mechanic says "oh ****"

That's something you don;t get to see when the dealer does the work. You just get charged for a necessary part. I would have covered the cost, I broke it. And I have never struggles so much getting a new belt on. If you do it right, they slip right on. Not quite sure what my deal was.

As per usual, I enjoyed the work. I enjoyed the company. I was generously rewarded for my time.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts
what was the belly bottle of the day?
(my dad and people from around here, would call such things "belly cans" and "belly bottles. "
= they have a beer gut, and give you a beer gut).

·
Master Caster
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
what was the belly bottle of the day?
(my dad and people from around here, would call such things "belly cans" and "belly bottles. "
= they have a beer gut, and give you a beer gut).
Ok, If you want to get on my good side ... It's quality, not quantity. No gut on this dawg, a little goes a long way.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=620&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=roB2Wv77N8WUjwOd5Ib4Bw&q=arrogant+*******+ale&oq=Arrogant+b&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l10.3877.8897.0.11734.7.7.0.0.0.0.393.1199.4j1j0j2.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.6.873...0i30k1j0i67k1.0.5Fm5fY3pzA4

An AB bomber goes a long, long way. At $5, it's a bargan. Pair that with cheese-steak or a decent burger ... or brat? I'm good. Top it off with some coin to cover shop expenses ... even better.

BTW ... I savor a B*stdard, so I don't become one. It's simple math.

Attachments

381 - 400 of 405 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.