Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid a lot for that big screen with all the features on my 2017 Limited but...nothing much works.

The phone sounds like I am underwater to both me and the person called. The dealer pulls out a phone and says 'See?! It works fine!' But not with a Droid Turbo and not with an iPhone 6. 'Sad'.

The lady in the box can't understand a word. Not one. Hopeless.

The map program has tried to kill me several times and appears not to have seen an update since 2013. It still shows access where there is none, road configurations long gone, etc. Useless.

I am cheap so I am reduced to carrying and using CDs to get what I want on the sound system but the menus are all manual. I can see the root menu but can only get below it with finger presses, not easy while driving. Dangerous.

My lane control system seems to be looking left. I get bonged all the time for being too far right when I am clearly in my lane. Irritating.

I planned to have this Outback about 10-15 years. It will be on the block as soon as I see another car I like with working electronics and technology. Kia is looking good all of a sudden.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
2016 Limited here. No issues as you have described. I don't use cds though but instead use my old ipod. Maybe consider a 2016?

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
But how is it as a car?

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
We just purchased a 2018 with premium audio, EyeSight, and navigation and fist, I must say that the phone over bluetooth sounds phenomenal...better than the Lexus we traded for it.

The "lady in the box" seems to understand my wifes southern accent and my mix of northern-southern accent just fine.

I have not tried any CD's yet. Most, if not all of my music has been converted to digital format and works just fine with Android Auto.

No navigation issues with nav, in fact, it seems to work quite well in the area we live and the ones we have traveled to using nav. My only gripe is that you cant easily search for "coffee shop or coffee house" in the POI list.

Eyesight seems to be a little sensitive and warns me when I (think I ) get close to the lines in the road. But it does not favor one side over the other.

Only problem we have had, a known and common issue is the radio/nav/headunit locking up.

David

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
658 Posts
My lane control system seems to be looking left. I get bonged all the time for being too far right when I am clearly in my lane. Irritating.
When there are gaps in the lane markers on the road, it thinks you have swerved and gives false annoying beeps.

I finally turned this feature off....thank goodness it stays off, but there is a warning icon now on the dash.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,246 Posts
Lane assist/alert is programmed to keep you closer to the center of the lane and alert you before you cross a line. I have to be VERY close to a line to get an alert (a place where I would never deliberately position my vehicle). So, if it's a constant annoyance, your system may need calibration (otherwise, you have a habit of riding the edge of the lane).

The NAV system isn't perfect (none of them are), but can get you out of a jam if your phone dies or has no signal. It's also no substitute for paying attention to the road and making your own decisions. You are in control of the car, not the GPS, so any death is on you. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
334 Posts
So far my experiences with the lane departure features have been pretty good. Steering assist actually kicks in before warning beeps, and they both work well straying either left or right. About the only time mine beeps is if I change lanes without signaling (not counting when traffic is rerouted across lanes for roadwork). If you're getting a lot of beeps, have Eyesight recalibrated.

This doesn't address any of the other points, but most of them seem pretty common across the board. About the only thing I use voice for in our Toyota is "cancel navigation," Google and Apple consistently break and fix bluetooth, and even Google maps is missing my highway on-ramp and wants me to merge in the middle of a construction zone (oddly, Waze has the on-ramp correct).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts