Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us nearing the purchase of an Outback, can those of you that have already done so tell us what you wish you would have asked the dealer before your purchase but forgot, or done differently and/or other otherwise wish you would have done before "signing on the bottom line."

Please educate us so we can make a better more informed and pleasant transaction!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Don't pay more than invoice. Buy accessories cheaper online. Don't buy any extended warranties or service packages. Make sure of the color you want especially based on interior preference. Get the trim level you want regardless of price. Same for the engine choice.

·
Registered
604 Posts
For my situation nothing. I did my research and used the technique here of sending requests out to multiple dealers. Did my follow up and the dealer I was able to purchase from was honest no surprises and straight forward. Price was agreed to before I ever set foot at the dealer, put a down payment for the OB ordered. When it arrived paid the rest and left. I had plenty of time to study and research everything about the car. If you spend a lot of time on here you will be totally familar and be confident when you make your purchase.
I didn't ask my dealer to show me anything, did the paperwork and left. I think you will be able to do the same thing if you order a OB vs buying off the lot except if you read and know all the aspects of the OB to include little things like knowing how to turn down the volume on your nav system, how to operate the miles per gallon display things like that.
I was totally prepared.
What I was not prepared for is how fantastic this OB is. Only living with it for a while brings that out...

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you have a choice of dealers (meaning more than one within a distance you are willing to drive), get some reviews or experiences from others who have purchased or serviced vehicles with them. A good dealer makes a huge difference in the overall sales/service experience, especially in service/care after the sale.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Don't pay more than invoice. Buy accessories cheaper online. Don't buy any extended warranties or service packages. Make sure of the color you want especially based on interior preference. Get the trim level you want regardless of price. Same for the engine choice.
Order the car to your requirements and pay invoice - for the car and the accessories. Accessories are NOT cheaper on-line than they would be installed at "the port". Service packages are, IMHO, not worth it; however a SUABRU GOLD SAS is. "Regardless of price" - that is (how can one say ignorant without offending?). Order what you want and then wait for it, my best advise.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For those of us nearing the purchase of an Outback, can those of you that have already done so tell us what you wish you would have asked the dealer before your purchase but forgot, or done differently and/or other otherwise wish you would have done before "signing on the bottom line."

Please educate us so we can make a better more informed and pleasant transaction!
Sent you a PM RE:SAS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Order the car to your requirements and pay invoice - for the car and the accessories. Accessories are NOT cheaper on-line than they would be installed at "the port". Service packages are, IMHO, not worth it; however a SUABRU GOLD SAS is. "Regardless of price" - that is (how can one say ignorant without offending?). Order what you want and then wait for it, my best advise.
I agree on all of this. If you plan on keeping the car more than 3 years get a warranty that matches your expected mileage. I wanted a 2.5i premium, ice silver with moonroof. I had to wait a month for the dealer to find the combination ( and the dealer closed for a week due to Sandy) but eventually got exactly the car and options i wanted. Don't include a trade-in in your negotiations until you get your price on the new car.

When you pick up the car, check that you got everything you paid for, and check the tire pressure as over-inflation seems common. Last step is to enjoy the car... It really is one of the best valued cars out there.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is an argument nearly, and I do say nearly, as dumb as the 2.5 vs. 3.6 discussion. I can give you a million good reasons why buying extended warranties is like throwing money down a rat hole. But people should do what they feel comfortable doing. If this a extended warranty gives you peace of mind, it's probably worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm picking up my new OB 2.5i Limited from an out of town dealer on Saturday and driving it back home. I've compiled a small punch list for when I get to the dealer -- simple stuff like making sure all of the additional items are actually installed and working, odometer matches what I was told was on the car, asking for a tube of touchup paint, etc.

For others who have bought outside of their home area, any advice on how to deal with service needs when you get back home? I'm generally leery of taking my car to a dealership for maintenance. My mechanic has taken good care of my other Japanese import vehicles over the years. However if there are warranty issues -- fit and finish in particular, things that won't become apparent until I drive the 300 miles home -- I'm a little concerned about how I might be treated rolling in with a new car purchased elsewhere. On the other hand, theoretically I could have just moved from out of town with my new car and needed service, so...maybe I'm just being overly paranoid. I did try to leave things friendly with the closest dealer to my house even when they couldn't come close to the price I'm getting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For others who have bought outside of their home area, any advice on how to deal with service needs when you get back home? I'm generally leery of taking my car to a dealership for maintenance. My mechanic has taken good care of my other Japanese import vehicles over the years. However if there are warranty issues -- fit and finish in particular, things that won't become apparent until I drive the 300 miles home -- I'm a little concerned about how I might be treated rolling in with a new car purchased elsewhere.
I wouldn't worry about it. The dealer gets paid by Subaru for warranty repairs, so it shouldn't matter which one you go to... any dealer will take your business.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

I wonder how I just got my OEM autostart purchased online and installed for a total of $300? The dealer wanted nearly $400 just for the parts. Guess you should LEARN how to use the internet. "the port" as you call it is the DEALER. You still think these cars come from the ship?? A GOLD SAS is ONLY good if you keep your car for a prolonged period and then only worth it if a MAJOR component fails. If not, Subie appreciates your contribution. I never understood warranty purchases. If you can afford the $1500 or whatever they want, you can afford everything on the car (should it need it) except for maybe the transmission and engine which would be significantly more. IMO, it is cheaper to just buy a new car when the factory warranty runs out.

"REGARDLESS OF PRICE" meant that get what you want so you don't get caught up trying to save a few hundred up front, then two years from now wish you had the heated seats or HK stereo or auto climate control at which point the cost is prohibitive.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I can give you a million good reasons why buying extended warranties is like throwing money down a rat hole. But people should do what they feel comfortable doing. If this a extended warranty gives you peace of mind, it's probably worth it.
+1

Hard to make a financial case for an extended warranty. It's an emotional/peace of mind decision. Anyone trying to pass them off as a must have for everyone should be ignored.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Join IMBA or one of the organizations that has a "VIP" sales program.

In my area the 2% less than "invoice" is better than most buyers get. The program seems to mean you get a senior sales person. Little time wasted via their looking up the price and giving your bottom line to bottom like trade info if you trade.

One other tip is be nice. Sure salespeople can be jerks but same for customers. Ask for somebody else if you have a jerk or dullard. My being nice made the whole get it done and get good service better.

Finally I personally and many others make good use if the donation Subaru makes if you like to bike, hike or walk on public lands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Extended warranties are insurance policies, they make money on them or they wouldn't sell them. It's not to your benefit it's to theirs. Even Consumer Guide suggests putting that same amount of money that you would pay for the warranty in a bank account and use it for the repairs. What you don't spend you still have.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
...... "the port" as you call it is the DEALER. You still think these cars come from the ship?? ........
I disagree. The "port" which still exists for the Imprezas is the default name still used for where OB's get "factory" accesories installed after the assembly line but before they reach the dealer. I have heard several locations for where that actually is. It is a carryover from when all Subie's came off a boat and accesories were installed there. Items installed at the "port" will show up on the window sticker, items installed at the dealer do not.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I wonder how I just got my OEM autostart purchased online and installed for a total of $300? The dealer wanted nearly $400 just for the parts. Guess you should LEARN how to use the internet. "the port" as you call it is the DEALER. You still think these cars come from the ship?? A GOLD SAS is ONLY good if you keep your car for a prolonged period and then only worth it if a MAJOR component fails. If not, Subie appreciates your contribution. I never understood warranty purchases. If you can afford the $1500 or whatever they want, you can afford everything on the car (should it need it) except for maybe the transmission and engine which would be significantly more. IMO, it is cheaper to just buy a new car when the factory warranty runs out.

"REGARDLESS OF PRICE" meant that get what you want so you don't get caught up trying to save a few hundred up front, then two years from now wish you had the heated seats or HK stereo or auto climate control at which point the cost is prohibitive.
I agree with the OP. The port is almost always cheaper than buying online or otherwise afterward. My port installed RS was less than $300. You seem to be confused between port and dealer. The post above offers you a good explanation. My OB was purchased in NJ and built in Indiana but the "port" where final assembly and accessories are installed was Boston.
Occasionally there are some exceptionally good ebay deals, like those of us who purchased OEM remote starters for $100. But that's the exception not the rule.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Biggest regret was paying a dealer $150 for a 7500 mile service. Otherwise my buying expereince was all good. I bought and ordered it over the internet, never set foot in the dealer except to sign papers and take delivery. Never bring a trade-in and have your financing arranged before visiting the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ordering '13 3.6R OB with cargo compartment separator (bars) was a mistake. It is not an easy on / off thing, thus will not get much use at all. Wheel arch moldings, side moldings, bumper protector, all weather mats, auto dimming mirror was a right decision. 3.6R engine was the right choice for me. I love how this beast accelerates and drives. No moon roof, no navigation, no eyesight was another right choice for me. Leather seats was absolutely right choice too.

·
Registered
872 Posts

I got a very good deal, but if I was to buy another one, I would order the car so that everything is installed either at the factory or the port as that is much cheaper than having the dealer install the options. Also, I would not opt for the navigation - just the leather and sunroof- I would install an aftermarket nav and radio. Lastly, there is a mountain bike club where if you are a member, you get the car 3 percent (or in that range) below invoice. I am not sure of the particulars, but you should be able to find it on here by searching.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
25 Participants
Se7enLC
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing