Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I wish I would have gotten leather seats. I had no idea that the fabric seats get dirty that easy (even with tons of Scotch Guard on them). Manual transmission, no moon roof, no navigation and no eyesight were right choices.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Have a "course" at the plant in lafayette where potential owners can go and test out Subaru products vs. their top 4 competitors. You could have a sand pit, simulated ice/snow, skidpad, small road course. I dont think it would be that expensive to nab a Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, Chevy Equinox and a Toyota Rav4 (that may be a political exclusion given that Tooyota owns 23% of FHI though

·
Registered
86 Posts
not getting limited trim was a mistake. i probably should've gotten a 6cyl as well
I got Limited trim, and am reasonably glad I did, but I got the 2.5 and really wish I had gotten the 3.6. The 2.5 really acts like it's laboring the whole time you drive it. I would suggest that if you're considering the 2.5, that you spend time trying out both a 2.5 and a 3.6. Plus, given that in 2013, the Outback actually regressed fuel mileage rather than improved it, there's less of a fuel mileage advantage to the 2.5.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Have the alignment checked soon if it's at all twitchy on the highway. Heck, see if they'll check it first, it's pretty common to be off from the factory, and it can make an immense difference on long trips. I waited 14k miles and had mine done, I wish I did it the first week, made a huge difference.

Think carefully about whether the CVT is the right choice for you. If you absolutely are going to sell the car around the end of the warranty, then get the CVT for sure, but if you might keep the car 15 years and will be on the hook for repairs after the warranty, Subaru North America still can't repair a bad CVT. The only option is a new one, $8500. The manual also has closer to 50/50 drive, the CVT is more like 90/10 until something slips. I also like the old known center diff (liquid coupling, instead of dry discs) on the manual.

Either choice would be a great one, just make sure you know what you're getting into, and are comfortable with the possible consequences.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
Ditto the observation about steering "feel" being twitchy/tighter than you may expect. I love the precise feel now, but I'd take a longer test drive to check it out. I think the 2.5i/CVT is a great combo personally. When you need the power, it's there and it's really quiet in most situations.

Will try to avoid other good suggestions given already here:
- Do a FULL test run of both his/her cell phones with the stereo bluetooth. My old iPhone 3S has been "touchy" and the Service guys can be invaluable to help while you're at the dealership.
- Look at the dealership to see if they sell cars with the original Subaru sticker or "2nd sticker". The higher volume guys seem to sell cars with factory equipment and make volume discounts instead of trying to bump up their margins. The smaller guys will have 2nd stickers with accessories and more "personal" service but be pricier. There are always exceptions to every rule here, but this is our general experience.
- Be willing to walk away this month (nicely) and come back in late Dec. End of quarter works better than end of month to get good deals.
- Do consider after market leather if you don't want to splurge for a Limited model. The replacement of interiors has become almost normal in the industry, especially for Toyota products. Check other posts here for examples.

Otherwise, be ready to really, really enjoy a love-child of mid-sized SUV and sharp handling sedan!

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I agree with the OP. The port is almost always cheaper than buying online or otherwise afterward. My port installed RS was less than $300. You seem to be confused between port and dealer. The post above offers you a good explanation. My OB was purchased in NJ and built in Indiana but the "port" where final assembly and accessories are installed was Boston.
Occasionally there are some exceptionally good ebay deals, like those of us who purchased OEM remote starters for $100. But that's the exception not the rule.

Post up pick of the window sticker with proof of $300 port installed AS please. I would love to eat that crow.

No wonder delivery fees are do high if you need to load and unload a new car three times ust to make it to the dealer. Talk about inefficiency and screwed up logistics. Indiana to Boston to plug in a few wires then clear to Jersey from there.

Yep I am surely confused.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Have the alignment checked soon if it's at all twitchy on the highway. Heck, see if they'll check it first, it's pretty common to be off from the factory, and it can make an immense difference on long trips. I waited 14k miles and had mine done, I wish I did it the first week, made a huge difference.

Think carefully about whether the CVT is the right choice for you. If you absolutely are going to sell the car around the end of the warranty, then get the CVT for sure, but if you might keep the car 15 years and will be on the hook for repairs after the warranty, Subaru North America still can't repair a bad CVT. The only option is a new one, $8500. The manual also has closer to 50/50 drive, the CVT is more like 90/10 until something slips. I also like the old known center diff (liquid coupling, instead of dry discs) on the manual.

Either choice would be a great one, just make sure you know what you're getting into, and are comfortable with the possible consequences.
I found this info fascinating. Either manual trans buyers are being SEVERELY ripped off, or Subie is losing its ass by making a transmission that is 1/3 the price of the car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-OUTBACK-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5d4a78b2&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Post up pick of the window sticker with proof of $300 port installed AS please. I would love to eat that crow.

No wonder delivery fees are do high if you need to load and unload a new car three times ust to make it to the dealer. Talk about inefficiency and screwed up logistics. Indiana to Boston to plug in a few wires then clear to Jersey from there.

Sticker price is always retail and not invoice or something lower, if you can get it. All Subaru cars, including those that are manufactured in the USA must pass through a "port" as they are technically a "foreign" product - not inefficient; just the way it is. Sometimes the car does not actually "pass through" the port; however, the paper work does. At these port locations, there are facilities to add accessories (other than dealer only installed accessories).

I will agree with you - Yep you are surely confused and quite good at informing everyone in the forum about it. In other words, you know not what you talk/rant about.

Cheers....

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
If you absolutely are going to sell the car around the end of the warranty, then get the CVT for sure, but if you might keep the car 15 years and will be on the hook for repairs after the warranty, Subaru North America still can't repair a bad CVT. The only option is a new one, $8500.
Realistically, the $8,500 you present is totally bogus. After 15 years (that would be in 2027 or so), you should be able to get a used CVT in good shape at any "U-Pull-Em" for under a couple hundred dollars - probably near the same cost as a manual transmission. The only option is buy a new one - No, there will be many other options available after the drive train warranty has expired.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did my research and went through Costco. It was no hassle and left at well under invoice. Somewhere around $900 under invoice. Dealer tried to take advantage of me on my trade and financing and told them to suck it. lol I already had great financing and kept the trade and sold it for $3000 more than their offer.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts

I agree, you certainly are confused. G-Omaha already explained "port" to you a few times so I will just stick to RS price. If you paid window sticker for your car you should be over reading in the "what did you pay thread". Not posting over here. If you read the mentioned thread you will see most people are paying at least 2% below invoice. Don't confuse invoice with sticker. I believe my cost was around $250. for a port installed RS on my 2010 OB. We can't go back and look at invoice for a 2010 but if you go to Edmunds and price out a new 2013 you will see invoice on the RS is $270. Subtract 2% and you are down to $264. That means if you order a new 2013 with the remote start option your actual cost is $264. It arrives fully installed from the port. Get it? Glad you like crow.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Just in case you are still having trouble with the "port" concept here is another posters explanation:

"That's consistent with what we were told during a recent tour of the SIA plant in Indiana. Under federal law, the SIA plant is considered to be "foreign territory" for tax purposes, so when cars leave the factory they are "imported" into the US although technically they have never been anywhere else. Thus, Boston is considered the "port of entry" for cars shipped to that region.

The SIA tour guide also explained that this is why SIA must go to local dealerships to obtain cars for shows and other events, even though they have hundreds of cars sitting on their lot at any given time . . . until a car made at SIA is "imported" into the US and the accompanying taxes are paid, it can't be driven on US roads!"

source: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/20494-2010-order-time-11.html

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Realistically, the $8,500 you present is totally bogus. After 15 years (that would be in 2027 or so), you should be able to get a used CVT in good shape at any "U-Pull-Em" for under a couple hundred dollars - probably near the same cost as a manual transmission. The only option is buy a new one - No, there will be many other options available after the drive train warranty has expired.
Not bogus at all. We have no way of knowing what a new or used tranny will cost. It could go the way of the VW OM1 auto tranny: replacements were 4500 bucks, used never lasted much, and VW stopped making them entirely.

And the question is what will they cost after the warranty is up in 5 years, not 15. There is no evidence anyone will ever be able to repair a subaru cvt, or that the cost will ever come down.

I'm not saying the cvt is not a good option, just that I'm not comfortable owning one yet. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I agree, you certainly are confused. G-Omaha already explained "port" to you a few times so I will just stick to RS price. If you paid window sticker for your car you should be over reading in the "what did you pay thread". Not posting over here. If you read the mentioned thread you will see most people are paying at least 2% below invoice. Don't confuse invoice with sticker. I believe my cost was around $250. for a port installed RS on my 2010 OB. We can't go back and look at invoice for a 2010 but if you go to Edmunds and price out a new 2013 you will see invoice on the RS is $270. Subtract 2% and you are down to $264. That means if you order a new 2013 with the remote start option your actual cost is $264. It arrives fully installed from the port. Get it? Glad you like crow.
I am getting my info right off the SUBARU build your own website. RS is 369.95. Still waiting for those window stickers that show this low price you paid. You know the right side column that details out all the options that are factory and "PORT" installed that are MANDATORY to be on the window sticker. I HIGHLY doubt any car manufacturer is going to list the installed options on the window sticker at INVOICE pricing. They list the car at MSRP. Suggested RETAIL PRICING. I understand how a freaking Window sticker works. Not eating anything CROW until I see a picture of your window sticker with the RS listed in the options column. COMPRENDE VOUS?

ALL WINDOW STICKERS FOR THE SUBARU OUTBACK 2010+ will have the PORT/ASSEMBLY of Lafayette IN. P-E-R-I-O-D.

I will be waiting to see the BOSTON PORT on an OUTBACK WINDOW sticker also. FEDERAL LAW MANDATES the PORT and FINAL ASSEMBLY on the WINDOW STICKER. PERIOD. It is in INDIANA.....PERIOD.

Finally, it states right on the SUBARU site that DEALER PRICING MAY VARY. So again, yes you could get a RS cheap negotiating it with the dealer, still wanting to see it in type on the window sticker that it was installed and included on the order which MUST be on the window sticker.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Ask for details about the financing! The dealer might not tell you the whole story unless you probe them. My dealer (CitySide in Belmont) chose not to offer Subaru Financing through Chase, and instead gave me "Belmont Savings Bank" - a "local" bank that is actually only an 800 number and a mailing address in Illinois. No local or even internet presence. The rate was the same as Subaru Financing advertised, so I didn't think anything of it at the time. I found out after the fact that the bank gives the dealership a kickback for getting loans for them. Had I been given the option I would have picked Chase+Subaru, not a random local bank with no online account access and charges $15 per payment to make a payment over the phone.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts