Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 2012 Limited last week. The car is great, except for one surprising problem. When the fuel door is open, the lower right corner of the door presses on the edge of the sheet metal forming the fuel filler cavity. The car has only had fuel put in once - by the dealer before I purchased the car, but the paint at this spot on the body has already been chipped down to bare metal! The visual defect is small, but the lack of paint could mean that rust can start here and spread to far greater areas.

I went back to the dealer today and looked at other 2012 Outbacks and Foresters. They all have the same basic design, but with a slightly stronger hinge. The service department has ordered a new door and hinge, and we will see if that helps.

How is it possible that the door and hinge were designed this way? On my older Subarus, a Forester, Outback and Legacy, the door and hinge were designed so they could not come in contact with and damage the body. How is it possible to "forget" this simple design principle?

When fueling the car, it is natural to perhaps move the door back to make room for the fuel nozzle. How does Subaru expect this door to not damage the body?

Vic Roberts :mad:

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
I purchased a new 2012 Limited last week. The car is great, except for one surprising problem. When the fuel door is open, the lower right corner of the door presses on the edge of the sheet metal forming the fuel filler cavity. The car has only had fuel put in once - by the dealer before I purchased the car, but the paint at this spot on the body has already been chipped down to bare metal! The visual defect is small, but the lack of paint could mean that rust can start here and spread to far greater areas.

I went back to the dealer today and looked at other 2012 Outbacks and Foresters. They all have the same basic design, but with a slightly stronger hinge. The service department has ordered a new door and hinge, and we will see if that helps.

How is it possible that the door and hinge were designed this way? On my older Subarus, a Forester, Outback and Legacy, the door and hinge were designed so they could not come in contact with and damage the body. How is it possible to "forget" this simple design principle?

When fueling the car, it is natural to perhaps move the door back to make room for the fuel nozzle. How does Subaru expect this door to not damage the body?

Vic Roberts :mad:
just checked mine..absolutely no issues at all, perfect alignment.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
All good here. Pics please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two Photos

Here are two photos. One with the door mostly closed that shows the damage to the body, and one with the door open and almost pressing on the damaged area.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think is about alignment, at least not when the door is closed. Mine looks perfectly aligned when it is closed. When you open your fuel door, it does not come close to pressing on the body when it is opened all the way?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here are two photos. One with the door mostly closed that shows the damage to the body, and one with the door open and almost pressing on the damaged area.
very puzzling i don't think this is widespread at all, since you are the first to post such an issue. maybe a certain production run problem. it would be interesting to see how close the rest of the cars vins are on that lot. as it may have been just a fluke in indiana. i don't think anybody is going to have the same outcome as you. while i'm on the topic and were talking about 12' check the other thread about the rear hatch rubbing on the taillight.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,388 Posts
Something is off with your vehicle. That is not a common issue. Or even one I have ever heard reported before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very puzzling i don't think this is widespread at all, since you are the first to post such an issue. maybe a certain production run problem. it would be interesting to see how close the rest of the cars vins are on that lot. as it may have been just a fluke in indiana. i don't think anybody is going to have the same outcome as you.
I looked at two new cars on the showroom floor. One was a Legacy sedan and the other was a Forester, this last is not made in Indiana. Both had the same design and the door was about 1/16 inch from the body on each when the doors were open. A slight push would allow the doors to make contact with the body.

I know you do not have any damage, but how far from the body is the door on your car when the door is open?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I looked at two new cars on the showroom floor. One was a Legacy sedan and the other was a Forester, this last is not made in Indiana. Both had the same design and the door was about 1/16 inch from the body on each when the doors were open. A slight push would allow the doors to make contact with the body.

I know you do not have any damage, but how far from the body is the door on your car when the door is open?
@ 90degs it is about 1/16"...i do see your point, but i rarely even open it that wide. i will error on the side of caution from now on since you have brought this to everybody's attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts