Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD 5eat , 2'' lift
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for long time wanted to do a test on VDC how it works and how it controls wheel spin and to know better what system i have on car . so its one thing what you feel sitting in car and just driving , but you don't ksee how that system rly works , how wheels spins when they have very little traction

so this is testing my OBW '01 2.5 4EAT with VDC on vs off and comparison on different gear positions as 2nd gens still have proper positions on 4EAT

going hard snow up hill forwards with VDC . snow was not fresh, really hard
testing was VDC On 2nd gear, then 3rd , then 1st, then 2nd gear again , then VDC off , and then VDC on 2nd gear again. just to see how game changer VDC is with 2nd gear. at least on snow.

going same hill just backwards with VDC

so as far as forward going that 2nd gear position wiyh VDC rly does miracles. at least i see it as that. it really you feel like completely diff car just with changing gears on automatic.
must say i did all tryes with same amount gas throttl as i did test for myself not for any show how good or bad subarus are. just rly for myself and to understand it better.
and do i understand good from this video that i have rear open diff and not LSD ? like with VDC off looks like front does more job and rear kinda waits. does that show that i might have rear diff noLSD ?

so then if i would have 3rd gen OBW with VDC i understand that it would need more momentum to go on same places then older 2nd gen does with that gear positions.
i saw many video and rly as much as i could find on youtube how ppl go with older subarus without VDC , they always rly needs much momentum then they fine.
and yes i just tested snow only and hard snow. so i will do proper tests spring time for sure.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,668 Posts
So what do you think of the VDC capabilities after trying it out first hand?

I believe the VDC cars do NOT have a limited slip differential as it's controlled with the ABS/brakes instead.

I agree that momentum is the only way older / open differential Subaru is the only way to clear things. The limited suspension travel makes it so the second one wheel slips it's dead in the water.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
"On 2nd gear, then 3rd , then 1st, then 2nd gear again , then VDC off , and then VDC on 2nd gear again"

The VDC button on my 3 VDC cars only works ONCE. If you turn off/on/off it is not actually off the second time you turn it off. It remains on until you turn the engine off.

Check your manual as VDC systems are not tuned the same across car models but I expect this to apply to you as well. It is kinda hard to remember on trail....

I do not know of any circumstances in which having the button ON would be beneficial in mud/sand/snow. I know for a fact how BAD having it ON can be in those conditions. VDC on helps tremendously with lifted wheels and somewhat with rocks though it is hard to mistake it for an actual 4x4.

Also, it is a common misunderstanding on this forum that VDC is off when the button is off. It is not VDC that is off, but only the function that limits power to the engine in the absence of traction. I once linked a UK dealer's explanation of this but it was a long time ago.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,967 Posts

I do not know of any circumstances in which having the button ON would be beneficial in mud/sand/snow. .
in situations where I have high centered the car on hard snow at the end of a driveway,...sometimes it is beneficial to toggle it on and off,...remembering to turn the steering wheel is important. off lets 4 wheels spin hard, on limits spinning and lets you and the car work only the wheel(s) with grip, = not overheating such things as tires etc. needlessly. and yes one can overheat tires spinning stuck on ice. (I guess fluid filled things in the drivetrain too)

such things happen many times when you have 7" of snowfall, and the municipal snow plow runs by piling 14" of harder snow / ice on the end of a driveway,...and you have 10' to cross like that in a subaru.

advice: shovel some first,...don't try to plow over it,...sometimes you make it other times you get stuck. and if you get stuck such might take longer to get yourself unstuck vs. the time it would take to shovel just enough to get out.

2000-2004 subaru engine dust guards really get torn up by that kind of snow. and I have picked chunks of mine out of such piles. ...both mine with many zip ties holding them together.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
in situations where I have high centered the car on hard snow at the end of a driveway,...sometimes it is beneficial to toggle it on and off,...remembering to turn the steering wheel is important. .
Absolutely, that is indeed critical. I am totally positive about sand and mud. As for snow, I do know that the B9 would not even bother trying to get going in snow/icy conditions if the button is ON.The first time it caught me by surprise since I had not been used to that kind of behavior. Ditto for the B9 and the TB in very slippery conditions on dirt uphill when on old street tires. The OB is not as aggressively setup.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"On 2nd gear, then 3rd , then 1st, then 2nd gear again , then VDC off , and then VDC on 2nd gear again"

The VDC button on my 3 VDC cars only works ONCE. If you turn off/on/off it is not actually off the second time you turn it off. It remains on until you turn the engine off.

Check your manual as VDC systems are not tuned the same across car models but I expect this to apply to you as well. It is kinda hard to remember on trail....

I do not know of any circumstances in which having the button ON would be beneficial in mud/sand/snow. I know for a fact how BAD having it ON can be in those conditions. VDC on helps tremendously with lifted wheels and somewhat with rocks though it is hard to mistake it for an actual 4x4.

Also, it is a common misunderstanding on this forum that VDC is off when the button is off. It is not VDC that is off, but only the function that limits power to the engine in the absence of traction. I once linked a UK dealer's explanation of this but it was a long time ago.
My car didint had VDC button its those first VDC cars that didint had button. So i made button from fuse underhood. So my button works on or off and when off its off on any speed not like newer VDC H6 cars.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I believe the VDC cars do NOT have a limited slip differential as it's controlled with the ABS/brakes instead.

I agree that momentum is the only way older / open differential Subaru is the only way to clear things. The limited suspension travel makes it so the second one wheel slips it's dead in the water.
Vdc on my car is game changer for now at least on snow with tyres i use . Diff tyres will make diff experience.
Then gears on 2nd position is really game changer . If i would just go on D car would use 1st gear as u can see on video wheels spin much morEE

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,668 Posts
Vdc on my car is game changer for now at least on snow with tyres i use . Diff tyres will make diff experience.
Then gears on 2nd position is really game changer . If i would just go on D car would use 1st gear as u can see on video wheels spin much morEE
That's how I figured. VDC is a "first generation x mode" for lack of a better term. If my 2000 had VDC I would likely still be driving it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's how I figured. VDC is a "first generation x mode" for lack of a better term. If my 2000 had VDC I would likely still be driving it.
Thou newer models vdc not same as older and split ratio diff too. Then no fixed gears on newer. Rly that 2nd gear position with or without vdc makes all differences on snow and sand specially. U rly need use just one gear on sand and not 1st one.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
My car didint had VDC button its those first VDC cars that didint had button. So i made button from fuse underhood. So my button works on or off and when off its off on any speed not like newer VDC H6 cars.
:grin2:

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts

He has a EDM spec. The older VTD Outbacks (gen 2 and gen 3) do have a rear LSD AND VDC at the same time. Both works together.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

He has a EDM spec. The older VTD Outbacks (gen 2 and gen 3) do have a rear LSD AND VDC at the same time. Both works together.
You mean i have rear lsd?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have more fuses for abs/vdc solenoid inside car and i saw other ppl make switch to turn off abs too with vdc. As they say abs still doing something while u drive without vdc. Never tried that yet

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I just call it vdc off and on because its tottaly feels in different drive. Yes vdc as system stays allways on just traction control part is off. No matter how you call it its turns on or off and light on dashboard says that .
Duno if you watched my video were car goes uphill without wheel spin with vdc on and 2nd gear but its just manages to go to half hill and no more with vdc off. Its just spins wheels so much that it makes ice from snow and then its not going anywere. So thats just for snow and for hills and i rly tryed tracks were u need do more precise driving at slow speed not just flying on open hill with momentum. Thats easy to do with momentum

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,967 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When forester is better then land cruiser

Its seeing that traction control tryes its best on cruiser but maybe wrong tyres just kills it. Duno why else cruiser just useless there. Maybe driver too .

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes.

The older JDM/EDM Outbacks and also Foresters had rear LSD as well as the 3.0 Legacys.
How to tell that? As some markings on diff? Model number or what can tell me that i have it. I know non vdc models had and some vdc models may had but how to be sure?

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
Put it on a lift, start engine, put it in D. If both rear wheels rotate forward it has an LSD, if one rotates in the other direction, it doesn't.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts