Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
if its too steep ramp it wont go up. i tried go uphill with VDC and if wheels loose traction and i dont have any momentum then car does nothing VDC just cuts all off leaving with not enough power to move.
at least my engine just dont have enough power with VDC to go uphills slowly on loose ground it cuts power off too much.
but one ramp on good surface should make it
Can you do a diagonal test on level ground?

What I did was put a ramp on opposing corner and axles.

One ramp front passenger side, one ramp rear driver side.

That was enough to stop the Baja from moving forward and turning the tires into smoke.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
wwith VDC wheels wont spin into smoke, with VDC off they will. what VDC does if it cant handle hill is stop turning all wheels at all. car just wont do nothing like ass. hehe.
something wrong with your VDC then or its off because it wont let your tires spin more.
if i find some ramps or something to drive in i will make video of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
if its too steep ramp it wont go up. i tried go uphill with VDC and if wheels loose traction and i dont have any momentum then car does nothing VDC just cuts all off leaving with not enough power to move.
at least my engine just dont have enough power with VDC to go uphills slowly on loose ground it cuts power off too much.
but one ramp on good surface should make it
Can you do a diagonal test on level ground?

What I did was put a ramp on opposing corner and axles.

One ramp front passenger side, one ramp rear driver side.

That was enough to stop the Baja from moving forward and turning the tires into smoke.
I tried this a while back (2+ years) but didn’t try too hard and my car wouldn’t climb the ramps. Hence one reason I asked about installing LSD in the rear which several people said I couldn’t with VDC... but. Scalmans has an LSD and seems some euro models did have LSD on VDC.. although I am not sure the lsd is working very effectivlly if cross axled and still no forward movement in that last video.. LSD ought to have pushed the car forward some.
I may try the ramp test again... to see what my H6 does

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i still need do more test and learn more but i did another video of that short 0:39 previous video not last one how i trying to go up little hill with VDC and how its strugles. later i did same with VDC off but then 1st gear, and i just floor it give it more gass and it just drive there no probs.
i think that LSD should work there best with VDC off. and on slipperry situation like going from corner on snow when car slides its kinda finds grip very fast like you feel like car sliding and then boom in second its have grip its so fast changing. that something that i did read about what LSD does on snow i guess . so it can be what LSD doing there. maybe it needs more speed give it more power more wheel spin i duno and i can only record from one side at time so i myself dont know whats happening from other side.
i think that 1st gear works better then D too as i think it should do center lock. well not sure with VDC but it works better when you do with 1st gear then just D.

same video as before i put here just now it has version VDC off same place in end. and it just goes no prob with VDC off there. well its was driven before so it had tracks allready made so thats was easieri guess and later i tried same thing with VDC on again and on 1st gear and it went easy because i had some momentum there. just first time as i tortured it very slowly it did cuted my power too much. so its hard to judge really. and even harder to tell does LSD even works there or makes difference

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
more testing diagonal in snow on angle VDC off and ON . VDC had hard time to get up there but it can be seen how it uses different wheels at times. just not enough power i would say. 3.0 model should do much better. and models with separate TC button

i think that moment shows good how VDC mimics lockers kinda

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
rear wheels dont have traction so no need to spin them for VDC . im just holding gas pedal equal and its doing all work. VDC like very much when you turn steering to sides as then it looks ohh there is better traction lets try that and such...
looks like some robot, but thats how it was

thats how that situation looked

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
torturing VDC on frozen snow. its frozen on top but soft under it so its hard. and im making sure i drive as slow as i can to make it hardest job for VDC to find traction

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
without VDC

with VDC On , but same time not just braking but cuting engine power too then it doesnt have enough power to move car forward anymore. some low gear and more torque would help here

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
had some more thoughts about VDC in my car is it my engine that not powerfull enough or VDC just cuts all power that is needed to move forward but it does it if you come very slowly to some harder part and then try to move and wheels dont spin but car dont move too it just sound there like wounded animal or smt lol. so why in this situation VDC would cut my power off ? where is logic there ? VDC thinks that by cuting power car would go forward ? i would think that if wheels spin then it cuts power ok , but why cut power when most wheels have grip but dont have enough torque there ... with VDC off in that situation you just dig deep down and make it all worse even ... sure with some momentum you pass it but why VDC cuts power there stays unknown to me

sure it does good job to not dig deep down but car not moving forward too... and it sounds like its engine rev problem as im starting from low revs engine just dont have enough power it feels that way at least. if i come to that with higher revs then it jumps over that spot and goes forward ... or is it just because momentum.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
tried same place with 2 pedals like holding brake raising revs until 3k about and then releasing brake ..thought it would give VDC little more push maybe and it did to some point. still if your wheel or wheels goes up step and its uphill same time with soft ground its just not same as would low gear do there. yes its not hard place to just drive there im just making it hard on purpose and digging holes everytime i do it there it becomes harder and harder now it has a lot holes to make it more interesting for me. its so hard to find here interesting tracks that would be some tehnical harder , well besides mud ... mud makes all harder sure

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)

then about locker and x mode as x mode still have VDC in it so it can be related too, so found latest torq locker test vs x mode and was kinda dissapointed . so even 3.6 engine is killed by some ECU magic or torque converter or CVT or what. and why locker sucked on that try too ?

here that torq locker worked fine though, how so ?

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts

then about locker and x mode as x mode still have VDC in it so it can be related too, so found latest torq locker test vs x mode and was kinda dissapointed . so even 3.6 engine is killed by some ECU magic or torque converter or CVT or what. and why locker sucked on that try too ?

here that torq locker worked fine though, how so ?
In that last video: The first 45 seconds with the green gen 4 looks like VDC action and not locker action to me.

The wheel spinning and then stopping to send power to the other wheel is what VDC does. If it was locked both would be spinning at the same rate so the other wheel should be spinning as well.

The locker seems like a great product but I think it's likely going to require a VTD center differential or a low range to fully benefit from it.

The MPT center doesn't seem to be able to supply enough torque to the rear wheels in high traction situations.

The VTD should be able to supply more torque but I'm not sure of any VTD cars with the pre production locker units yet.

VDC cars will likely be more capable with the locker but not sure if it's worth the trade offs for most.

As for what's happening in mine/POYB's video I would say it's the lame crawl ratio being the biggest hurdle. I think the Foz is 13:1 and mine is 12:1.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i thought first part of that video was without lockers and then later with them so yh that was VDC working , and i guess they picking best lines to show locker in work not stressing cars too much, and as you showed in video you can find those spots where car just whines and wont move. and i thought it just my car maybe. guess its good to know they all suck at that thing . hehe

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

in those you need to turn VDC off , still its not enough , bext step to air down tires, and VDC off can damage car or parts on it as you go full speed, where VDC maybe went not so high in my test but it saved car ... and when it stops VDC makes all 4 tires to spin slowly which is cool thing ,, only if those tires could have grip ... because they where too high air preasure at 2,5 it was bad on sand ... you need to lower it to 1 bar it would be game changer if you have AT tires though that let you air down this much .

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
hes trying explain all available different systems out here now on subarus,
cant see any reason why would you wanna go light off road on older AWD and not VDC . it helps a lot , specially X mode on never cars

41 - 55 of 55 Posts