Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cops were out in force this past Wednesday. As I was passing under a series of three overpasses, my auto headlights came on and off as I passed under each of them. This isn't unusual as even the briefest period of blocked light turns the headlights on. A cop that was on the side of the road a little further up pulled me over for "flashing" my lights :gasp: I informed him of the automated feature and he gave me a "yeah, whatever" look :rolleyes: He let me off with a warning that flashing my headlights to warn of speed traps is illegal. Guess I won't be using my lovely automatic headlights anymore.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Ice Silver Metalic
321 Posts
the cop better get used to it as Auto Headlights are almost standard equipment
Doubt yours were the only car that did this

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
the cop better get used to it as Auto Headlights are almost standard equipment
Doubt yours were the only car that did this
But out of all the cars with auto headlights that I have owned, and there have been many, the 2010-2012 OB is the only one with the flashing problem. Glad they fixed it for 2013.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
"Officer, I've always thought flashing your lights at other drivers was a universal signal to 'drive carefully' ?"

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Wait until you get pulled over for not having your headlights on.
In Ca, the headlights must be on if your wipers are on. Seems as if the auto headlight feature doesn't know if it's raining or if the wipers are on..
How hard would it be for auto mfg's to patch the wipers with turning on your headlights?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
In Ca, the headlights must be on if your wipers are on. Seems as if the auto headlight feature doesn't know if it's raining or if the wipers are on..
How hard would it be for auto mfg's to patch the wipers with turning on your headlights?
So then you get pulled over for flashing and all you really wanted to do is wash the windshield.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
So then you get pulled over for flashing and all you really wanted to do is wash the windshield.
Exactly. Not to mention short term use to wipe off water kicked up from the road, sprinklers, etc. Insanity.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
The law in California states the lights must be on if the wipers are in a continous mode.

I lived in California for 45 years and they have a lot of stupid laws but they also have a lot of stupid drivers. It's very common to see it nearly dark, pouring down rain and have some idiot go flying by with no lights.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The headlight sensor is activated by light, not rain, so why would rain have any effect on them activating...?
Read his whole post and not just one line and you should understand. Some cars activate the headlights when wipers are on.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
When I pass a speed trap (Multiple sheriff's deputy cars and a separate radar set up) I flash my lights at anybody coming the other way to warn them. Others do it for me, though I seldom speed anymore. I am retired, so I would have no problem going to court on whatever they write people up for, when they do this. So far, I have talked to a couple of people that got pulled over, but the cops worked on the principle of intimidation, and didn't actually write them up. I fail to see how this could be considered illegal, in a court of law.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
In regards to the discussion of having the lights come on when the wipers come on: that wouldn't be hard, as it could just be triggered when the wiper switch is moved to the always on positions. You wouldn't sense when the wiper motor was energized, you'd either add mechanism to the switch or sense when certain connections in the switch were energized. Wired correctly it would only really take one relay to achieve. Wouldn't work too well with automatic wipers, but then maybe you'd be spending the kind of money to make that part of a system like Eyesight, which is already expensive of an option.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Read his whole post and not just one line and you should understand. Some cars activate the headlights when wipers are on.
And you're accusing me of not reading his post? You didn't comprehend a single sentence of it.

Where does he mention anything about other cars having this feature? He specifically asks why manufacturers don't do it...

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,645 Posts
Cops were out in force this past Wednesday. As I was passing under a series of three overpasses, my auto headlights came on and off as I passed under each of them. This isn't unusual as even the briefest period of blocked light turns the headlights on. A cop that was on the side of the road a little further up pulled me over for "flashing" my lights :gasp: I informed him of the automated feature and he gave me a "yeah, whatever" look :rolleyes: He let me off with a warning that flashing my headlights to warn of speed traps is illegal. Guess I won't be using my lovely automatic headlights anymore.
...lol...cops...don't want to hear logic or that they could have pulled you over for the wrong reason. Look at the bright side...with your auto feature turned off, your bulbs will last longer. The more lights cycle on and off, the shorter their life span...so...there is an upside to it. :29:

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I got so tired of the auto lights i just switched them "on" so now they are always on.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
My 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee had this feature - I will definitely miss it.

There was an on-board menu that allowed you to turn it (and a few other handy options) on or off.

Basically if you turned your wipers ON or to the intermittent setting for more than 10 seconds it turned your headlights on. If you just used the washer fluid it wouldn't turn them on.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Where does he mention anything about other cars having this feature? He specifically asks why manufacturers don't do it...
Exactly! I never said he did. I added that for clarification being you we're questioning his intent. I understood him but perhaps my clarification attempt wasn't the best. Hopefully the OP will post back and clear it up for you.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,070 Posts
NY requires headlights with wipers. I think NJ does also.

One auto manufacturer has already linked the auto headlights to the wipers, GM. No kidding, my last vehicle was a GM (a MY 2006 if it matters) and there was ZERO thought needed for the headlights. You could even defeat the auto lights AND the DRLs, just flick the switch back and it turns off the auto lights and DRLs until you turn them on manually, flip the switch back again or turn off and restart the vehicle.

The factory remote start even left the car running when a door was opened...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts