Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanksgiving 2017: North GA Area (back roads and camping)

We are talking about a Thanksgiving trip to the north Georgia area in search of some back-road fun and car/tent trailer camping. I have found a number of old threads but nothing current. We pull a small tent trailer (normally used by motorcycles). Any recommendations for roads and camping areas would be appreciated.

Since we are not familiar with the area, it would be fun to be able to meet up with others. Sometimes having company in the middle of nowhere is a good thing. Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback, 2.5L
21 Posts
I've always been partial to Blue Ridge, GA. There are some pretty cool forest roads to drive on and waterfalls to see down Aska Road. Haven't camped out there though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our tentative plans are to leave Mobile Wednesday evening and spend the night along the way, arriving in north GA before noon, Thanksgiving Day. We would like to be able camp in two different locations that would allow us to enjoy spending time on back roads and scenic adventures. We don't mind roads that are mildly challenging. Out OB does not have skid plates and since we may be by ourselves, I don't want anything that has the potential to trap me!

So basically enjoy Thursday - Saturday and head back home on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
2015 Subie Outback 2.5 Premium, I think.
9 Posts
Not sure where you will roam, but try the state parks. Most have kind of camping you are aasking about.
I'd not delay on booking a spot.

Not far from things to do:
amicalola falls state park - great hike to the falls.
Unicoi -- Helen, GA, a faux Barvarian town is nearby. Pleasant diversion is to walk around town to all the stores as you sober up after a Schnitzel und bier lunch. Yah!
Smithgall-Woods trophy trout stream (& st park) is nearby... pick gold flakes out of the stream bottom.
I'd pick amicalola or Unicoi if you don't want to be too deep in the bush and for general amenities. Particularly for first timer.

More remote:
--Fort Mountain (hiway 52) -never been to the state park, but the road trip is great from Dalton to East Elijay.
--Cohutta Wilderness if you REALLY want to be remote, including Jacks Falls (not sure if there's camping there)
--Lake Conasauga Overflow Campground

Near Blairsville is Copperhead lodge, MAY have camping. I'ts (moto) biker oriented, but they're not Hells angels variety. LOL They love to do some of the more curvy roads there. 171 Copperhead Pkwy, Blairsville, GA 30512

(playing tour guide now)
Also near Blairsville:
Definitely check out Jim's Smokin' BBQ, it's worth a trip from Blue ridge just for that. Really!
Alexanders is a store that sells wide variety of things, guns, hunting and outdoor cloting, shoes, furniture. etc. It's a fun place to go to, as they have good quality stuff.
Both are near Richard Russell Scenic Highway, which would be a mortal sin do with the sunroof closed. They probably filmed Outback commercials here.
Vogel St Park is nearby, and Unicoi St. Park is at the other end of the road.

From E. ellijay, stay on 52 toward amicalola falls. There's a number of apple orchards and you will be just in time.

By the way, this will be a kid friendly trip. Petting zoos, lots of rocks to turn over in streams, hikes/bicycling galore. enjoy!

·
Registered
2015 Subie Outback 2.5 Premium, I think.
9 Posts
Unless you really go bushwacking, most any road on the map will be ok. Even logging roads, while rutted, an OB can easily handle.
You don't mention any particular interest, but with relatively little time you have, may want to focus on Blairsville, Blue Ridge, Ellijay area if you want civilization.

If you really want to get away from it all, then it's a shorter drive to the wilderness areas (see my other post) to the level of primitiveness you want. You will miss all the touristy stuff if you stay west of that corridor. Some rewarding trails in this area. I think too late for trout, but if not, bring a pole.

If you are going really remote, such as forest service roads, be aware there's a lot of clay in the dirt up there, so if it starts raining, the dirt roads can get slippery. I almost slid off a mountain once, like ice sheet.

Also, any low areas where there's water running over the road (or lot of standing water) may become impassible until the flood subsides. I'd not sweat this too bad, as unless it's really bad (Clay usually holds things together and minimizes erosion) so it won't wash out the road, but will just make you wait.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gday,
Thanks for the detailed info. I will take a look at those locations.
I'm trying to find local/forest service maps, etc. Trips like this, I always wish there were several folks going. Share the fun and the knowledge. Thanks again!
Unless you really go bushwacking, most any road on the map will be ok. Even logging roads, while rutted, an OB can easily handle.
You don't mention any particular interest, but with relatively little time you have, may want to focus on Blairsville, Blue Ridge, Ellijay area if you want civilization.

If you really want to get away from it all, then it's a shorter drive to the wilderness areas (see my other post) to the level of primitiveness you want. You will miss all the touristy stuff if you stay west of that corridor. Some rewarding trails in this area. I think too late for trout, but if not, bring a pole.

If you are going really remote, such as forest service roads, be aware there's a lot of clay in the dirt up there, so if it starts raining, the dirt roads can get slippery. I almost slid off a mountain once, like ice sheet.

Also, any low areas where there's water running over the road (or lot of standing water) may become impassible until the flood subsides. I'd not sweat this too bad, as unless it's really bad (Clay usually holds things together and minimizes erosion) so it won't wash out the road, but will just make you wait.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
Gday,
Thanks for the detailed info. I will take a look at those locations.
I'm trying to find local/forest service maps, etc. Trips like this, I always wish there were several folks going. Share the fun and the knowledge. Thanks again!
other guys like @bradze with his modifed 2011, camp with people that have jeeps / FJ Cruisers, old G500 / land rovers etc.
maybe just avoiding the worst of the trail sections with the subaru. (he post many a good pic around the internet of such excursions in the pacific north west)

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
yeah, a subie is a great setup for overlanding. i can get thru 99% of what the others can in their lifted "off-roaders" but i also avg about 23mpg with a nice toasty butt and can still fit into little parking spots that say "compact only". join an overlanding group. personally, im not crazy about trailers, my awning/tent setup is perfect for my needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts