Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Subaru OBW. I get home after work lock my doors by pushing the lock button on the inside of the car. I close the door and the horn lets out a nice short beep. How can I prevent my car from making this useless noise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have your remote in hand, and stand by your car, and I think all you have to do is press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time and it will report back with a few beeps.

It is also in the owners manual too,

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have key less entry. I dont think my car is equipped with it. I just want to disable the beep. let me try to restate the process.
1. park car and turn off
2. open door.
3. Hit the lock button on the inside of the door.
4. get out can close door.
The beep occurs when the door is closed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I dont have key less entry. I dont think my car is equipped with it. I just want to disable the beep. let me try to restate the process.
1. park car and turn off
2. open door.
3. Hit the lock button on the inside of the door.
4. get out can close door.
The beep occurs when the door is closed.
you dont have any remote for locking and unlocking the door? Are you the orig owner? Did you lose it?

If you look on this page (scroll down), you will see that your year (99) had Keyless entry standard, so it sounds like to me, if you dont have a remote for the doors, it just got lost. The remote is how you would disable the chirp/horn. And yes - annoying sound I disabled on mine as soon as I got it.

Whose brilliant idea was that noise?
Nothing like parking and having your car announce "Hey everyone, I just parked right here and the doors are locked because there just MAY be something in here worth stealing" :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
you dont have any remote for locking and unlocking the door? Are you the orig owner? Did you lose it?

If you look on this page (scroll down), you will see that your year (99) had Keyless entry standard, so it sounds like to me, if you dont have a remote for the doors, it just got lost. The remote is how you would disable the chirp/horn. And yes - annoying sound I disabled on mine as soon as I got it.

Whose brilliant idea was that noise?
Nothing like parking and having your car announce "Hey everyone, I just parked right here and the doors are locked because there just MAY be something in here worth stealing" :p
Yep me too! I could not wait to disable that feature,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am amazed at how many people don't know they can turn off the horn/chirp feature. I have told them to look in their owner's manual for the procedure and they look at me like I am from another planet. Am I the only one who buys a new car and reads the owner's manual?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am amazed at how many people don't know they can turn off the horn/chirp feature. ?
I'm amazed how many people complain about this feature. Jump out of the car in the middle of a thunderstorm running into the house, so you hit the button to make sure it is locked. You hear a beep as you are running towards the house, you don't have to turn around and see the lights flash to know it is locked. My first car had keyless entry, but did not chip and did not flash the lights to let you know it was locked... it was incredibly annoying.

I guess I could understand the horn getting annoying, but the little electronic beep? Meh. It has never bothered me.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I am amazed at how many people don't know they can turn off the horn/chirp feature. I have told them to look in their owner's manual for the procedure and they look at me like I am from another planet. Am I the only one who buys a new car and reads the owner's manual?
Nope
I do
That was the first thing I fixed on my 2001 and I did it before I even left the dealer.

The idea of broadcasting that I'm unlocking or locking my car to the world did not see like a smart thing to be doing. Ironically I ditched the fobs and used the car for 12yrs doing the old school using the key to open the door by doing that thing where you insert the key into the door and open it. Why? Simple I was sailing 2-3 times a week on SF Bay where all my crap was soaked in salt water pretty much every trip out. Made no sense to have the fob and just trash it. When I sold it the new owner asked if I had just replaced the fobs? Nope just put them away in a bag and never used them.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I guess I could understand the horn getting annoying
My 2000 used the horn and it was terribly annoying. Startling people walking by, waking babies in neighbors' houses (and I live pretty far out), making my golden retriever wet himself (luckily I have the rubber mat in the hatch), making my wife jump when that horn beeped. I exaggerate a bit, but the horn on my Chevy Suburban does the same thing if you hit the lock button twice (not the first time) and it is less annoying than the Subie - which I deactivated of course.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I agree with the people who've said they appreicate an audible confirmation, but dislike the actual horn. My solution was to just replace it with an actual buzzer... I even tied in the parking lights to flash on my 1999!
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/46933-99-keyless-entry-replace-horn-buzzer.html
( slight plug for my own thread ;) )

Also...
[...] Am I the only one who buys a new car and reads the owner's manual?
Many people buy these cars secondhand, or get them as hand-me-downs. Remotes get lost, as do manuals... unfortunately not everyone is inclined to go download one online (even right from the Subaru website!)
That said, the Cars101.com link to remotes does *not* answer the original question of this thread, the standard keyless (no alarm) beep for a Gen 1.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My boat's slightly different. Having just gotten my 99 back on the road, the first thing I found massively annoying was the honk-on-lock. Here's the problem: My key fob doesn't work. I replaced the battery and the LEDs are lighting when the buttons are pushed. Still no go. So I figured the car may have somehow forgotten the fob (unlikely, but worth trying), and tried to put the car in learn-fob mode as described in the manual. Get in, close door, rotate key ten (10) times, and no honk indicating it's in learn mode.

Any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
outinthewoods
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing