Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the best Subaru ever made based on design, reliability, economy, value, capability, ect?

Say what it is you've experienced, what engine and car you have, how many miles you've driven, and why the Subaru which belongs to you is better than all the rest. Thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Prefered the older wagons GL / Leone 86/87 with 5MT Dual range transmissions (although part time selectable 4wd) 30 years ago with more simpler mechanical / electric stuff with distributor / coil ignition systems / carburettors - far easier cheaper to fix compared to the complex electronics etc since then. and very reliable.

More light weight and more nimble especially off road ie 1000/1100kg compared to 1300 / 1600kg since then.
Although less powerful with with 1800 (EA81/82) - good use of the transmission ie 5sp and rpms ie 3000 / 4000 and 30% less body weight they could still get along ok.

Had 3 of these, the better ( 86) one did 225K miles before selling / still had plenty of life left in it with no issues apart from periodical maintenance for age. economy 28/30 mpg

Still have.an 87 Brumby ( brat) see below car history.

Of later vehicles the gen 3 Outback (04-09) was the last of the successful Legacy car / wagon platform dating back to 89 (spanning 20 years) that I prefer. In particular 3.0R / 5EAT in which I have one. economy mixed 24/25mpg trip -26 / 28mpg city / short running 20mpg.

Had 01 5MT D/R 2.5 Outback 160K miles when sold - great car few if any issues. economy 24/26 mpg mixed trip 28mpg city 22/23mpg

Not a fan of Gen 4 / 5 - higher more SUV / CUV like its contemporaries.

Why i like / prefer Subarus in general - it goes back 35 years when 1st driving them.
helped in deciding 27 years ago when purchasing 1st one , now on 6th.
An 4wd / AWD car/wagon with off road ability that drove handled well on road because of the low flat configuration / positioning of its boxer engine.
Reasonably economical for a 4wd / AWD with Japanese reliability and cheaper to fix compared with similar European cars.
Also the conventional north / south engine / drivetrain layout makes them easier to fix / work on especially for DIYers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a very special 1990 legacy rs type ra. I think its the best legacy ever made. I have driven many other subarus and nothing really compares to that driving experience. I like the H6 engines and share an 02 OB H6 limited with my wife. I helped build something really wild an 86 Brat with an ej22t engine swap. That Brat is a crazy fun ride!

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
I've owned 5-10 Subarus depending on who's asking.

Maybe I'm biased but my Gen 5 Outback is the best Subaru I've ever owned.

Both in capability, comfort, reliability, and versatility.

I've always wanted a highway cruiser that can drink the miles on the highway as easily as it can handle the not so paved areas my life tends to take me.

I've got that with the Gen 5.

I just hauled a 6x22 U haul yesterday on a rutted path to move a friend out of his cabin.

The kind of road that even with my sway bars off I still lift a wheel. Didn't think anything of it.

I drove 2000 miles through UP Michigan with it this month. I drove around with some proper off road vehicles and didn't think much of it (did get to use the winch though).

At 75+ mph speeds I was averaging 26-28 mpg even with the lift and AT tires.

That's before we talk about how great radar cruise is.

Other than fluids and filters it hasn't broken anything beyond an end link.

That said the Gen 2 Outback also has a special place in my heart.

I just got done swapping a rear sub frame on one and I'm going to plead in my write up for it that people don't total out theirs because of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I own a very special 1990 legacy rs type ra.
What I liked about 1990’s cars were that they were much lighter than today’s cars...though nowhere near as safe. I’ll take a lighter car with a weaker motor any day over a heavy vehicle with a big motor. Especially if the power steering is overboosted pinky finger driving light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Only owned a 2001 outback and a 2019, definitely prefer the 2019, for safety, new tech, comfort, better power with better gas mileage, options,better brakes, etc. I do miss though the slightly better verticle FOV of the 2001 (lower hood or higher seat, not sure which but felt more like a go-kart, can't fully replicate it in the 2019 even with seat raised all the way) and the sun roof in the back seat (lots of light while driving mountain roads).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Only owned 1 Subaru so far and its a 2014. Its my favorite, no timing belt to worry about servicing on the H4, its the last of the Gen 4's so most of the issues were already worked out. Its easy to work on and reloiable. Great MPG and its great to take any where without worrying about getting stuck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Only owned 1 Subaru so far and its a 2014. Its my favorite, no timing belt to worry about servicing on the H4, its the last of the Gen 4's so most of the issues were already worked out. Its easy to work on and reloiable. Great MPG and its great to take any where without worrying about getting stuck.
Really liked the Gen 4's. Very solid feeling.

They only thing I would change is the easier access to headlight bulbs as in the Gen5, the gen5 seats and the 2017 CVT transmission.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had a 2000 H4 Outback, ok. Now have been driving a 2005 H6 Outback for 4 years, nice power for the mountains, looks nice, LL Bean edition with wiper heating etc., decent drive, but did require a lot of suspension work.

But the 1999 Legacy Wagon I bought last Halloween is pretty much my ultimate Subaru.

Design: Subjective
Reliability: Amazing. Came with 272K miles, now has ~ 282K miles. When I bought it, I had to add over 2 quarts of oil to get the dipstick level. It seems to eat oil but the 2.2l engine seems to be very forgiving about low oil. Always starts. The 5-speed (manual) transmission is great in the mountains. Has the least amount of power of all the Subarus I('ve) own(ed), but I never feel like I'm lacking power, even with passengers and baggage.
Economy: Better than my other Subarus. Both for mileage and maintenance.
Value: Paid $ 501 for it. Certainly the best value for money.
Capability: It's a wagon so I can haul a bit more than a sedan.
Handling: Never had it aligned, never had the wheels balanced, but it's a comfortable ride, highly maneuverable in general and just incredible on dirt roads. Predictable cornering, fairly tight yet comfortable suspension and unless I really push it I really don't have any over- or understeer issues. Superb on snow, as much as that can be with all-season tires and its lack of clearance compared to Outbacks.
Cons: A blank semi-circle on the dashboard (by design) where a tachometer should have been installed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cons: A blank semi-circle on the dashboard (by design) where a tachometer should have been installed.
A Brighton model Legacy I'm assuming? I would also assume you could swap the gauge cluster from any other gen2 Leggy to get a functional tach if you wanted.
I also have a 99, an L 30th anny though. It's logged almost 40k over the past 4 years or so. Still one of the quickest starting cars I've ever seen. Barely have to touch the key. I trust it more than I trust my 05 OBXT for sure. It's just a bit of a dog with the 4EAT. I'm considering cleaning up one of the EJ251's sitting in my garage and swapping it in.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
A Brighton model Legacy I'm assuming? I would also assume you could swap the gauge cluster from any other gen2 Leggy to get a functional tach if you wanted.
I also have a 99, an L 30th anny though. It's logged almost 40k over the past 4 years or so. Still one of the quickest starting cars I've ever seen. Barely have to touch the key. I trust it more than I trust my 05 OBXT for sure. It's just a bit of a dog with the 4EAT. I'm considering cleaning up one of the EJ251's sitting in my garage and swapping it in.
4.444 gearing too?

:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, the Brighton. I might actually consider swapping the cluster, thanks for the suggestion. At the moment my priorities are to replace a cracked windshield which is not the challenge, rather, the body above the windshield has some rust which should be repaired prior to installing a new windshield. Having someone do that can be costly and I'm still looking around. I used to work on boats as a hobby (hulls, not engines) and I'm currently entertaining the idea of cutting the rusty part out, sanding it down and reshaping it with polyester. Remarkably, my 2000 Outback had rust in the same location. Further, I need to replace the timing belt as a I have no prior record of its replacement. Timing belt replacement is actually at the top of my list.

Funny, I only mentioned that the Legacy always starts, but yeah, it's remarkable how fast it starts. I had replaced the failing starter on my 2005 Outback with a new OEM starter, but it still goes through 4 or 5 short crank cycles before it otherwise reliably starts, while the Legacy never seems to hit even the 3rd crank before it starts.

Kind of want to watch Crocodile Dundee following this discussion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
7stars
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing