Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,256 Posts
Excluding the turbo, a base OB comes with the same engine, chassis, drivetrain, and 80%+ of the features of a touring 2.5.
Lets call it $25k vs $40k (b/c you want options on your Touring, I'm sure)

A cost increase of $15,000 ... 15/25 is 60%
You're paying 60% more for a 'loaded' vs a base. Again, a reminder that the major components are the same - engine, etc.
60% more for 20%+ for exclusive features.

You can rationalize it however you want, but you can't say that the $40k OB represents a good value, when compared to a $25k OB. I'd also question the resale value, for those who believe the higher end models "hold their value" more - you need to break it down to depreciation dollars per month, and see who comes out ahead.
Say after 3 years that Touring is now worth $30k and the Base is what? $15k - probably more like $18k
10,000/36 vs 7,000/36 = $278 vs $194 per month. Don't forget, higher sales tax on the purchase, higher registration and insurance costs, etc.
You're free to spend your money how you wish and we all rationalize it in our own ways (I've found the increase cost owning a new(er) car worth it for safety features). But as far as "value" goes...

it is all about the base. No touring.
If you want to talk math.
I see no value in saving $150 /month on a 5 year payment on a bare bones car I'd never love. I bought a limited XT only because there weren't any touring XT's within 100 mi when I shopped. Back 20 years ago when I was broke I may have thought different but these days I feel the value was in all the niceties and details of the upper trims as compared to more expensive brands.. Six or so years from now, I'll likely trade my LTDXT (loosing more value) for something else I love (that costs more than the base model). As I get older, I worry less about value in the terms of $ and more about value in terms of enjoying every day I have left.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,044 Posts
Not to mention, anyone spending 40 grand on a non-xt touring is a terrible negotiator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rest assured to the premium, and higher trimmed owners, I am reminded daily of my proper place when I have to push the unlock button on a remote to unlock the doors and I have to manually insert a key into the ignition. Ugh, With every turn of the key, I'm reminded of the Pleb that I am.
May be every turn of the key reminds you that you are driving a car, not a dishwasher?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i, 6 spd M
40 Posts
I bought the bas for almost the same reason - why spend all that $$ on accessories and options ? For some it's comfort. For me it meant it was more money in my pocket. Same body, engine, transmissions. I just could not justify the foo-foo. But, to each their own. I'm happy.

This is the story of a 2021 Base Model Outback driver. I'm hoping to clarify what can you expect driving the bottom of the barrel new Outback and help you decide if should you even consider this option? I'm not trying at all to upset people who chose differently from me, I'm just explaining the value of the base model from how I see it.
First, out the door, my Outback cost 25k new. This is not a small chunk of change but it could almost purchase 2 upper trimmed well appointed Outbacks. The 0% financing was a pretty sweet deal as well.
Being such a basic car I must be missing a huge amount of features, and I must live like a complete Neanderthal for making such an unwise choice. Well rest assured that Subaru appointed the 2021 Outback Base mode with a ton of features. First, you get the full EyeSight package standard, you get automatic climate control (but only for one zone😢). You get automatic high beam, automatic lights and OMG powered windows with one touch up and down. You get the cool cross bars that fold into the roof rails, a rear camera, and probably a few other things I have forgotten.
Do I have the enormous touch screen infotainment system, Nope. Sadly I have two somewhat smaller touch screens instead. Do I have heated seats, rear A/C vents, or a cig lighter plug in the center console, nope. My mirrors are black as well. On the base you also loose the cool keyless access on the back hatch and I have to manually open and close my tailgate😩. Sunroof nope, (Come on Subaru and make a large sunroof on the outback like Forester).
Rest assured to the premium, and higher trimmed owners, I am reminded daily of my proper place when I have to push the unlock button on a remote to unlock the doors and I have to manually insert a key into the ignition. Ugh, With every turn of the key, I'm reminded of the Pleb that I am.
Not today, but I someday dream of ventilated leather seats, and living the good life in a Wilderness model.....
At the end of the day, the base model Outback is an incredible value! It represents a small percentage of owners on this forum and many people consider the Premium model to be well worth the cost to upgrade from the base model. For me, the added upgrades to the premium model were not worth the cost and I took the dollars saved to put skid plates, a hitch and get a few accessories.
Again, I'm not wanting to upset anyone with this post. We all have different reasons for choosing our Outbacks. I hope this helps someone who is interested in the lower tiered Outbacks. Also, there are a few videos on YouTube that go into more details of the different trims.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
115 Posts
Congratulations on your new Outback!

We just recently bought a Touring model and love all the features. I wanted a moonroof and some of the options (e.g., turn signal mirrors) not available on the Base model, or even the Premium. Also, the seats in the Touring are extremely comfortable. Yes, the higher trim models are quite a bit more expensive than the Base model, but they tend to also hold their value.
How do the seats (especially the passenger seat) compare to the limited model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Retracted
This is the story of a 2021 Base Model Outback driver. I'm hoping to clarify what can you expect driving the bottom of the barrel new Outback and help you decide if should you even consider this option? I'm not trying at all to upset people who chose differently from me, I'm just explaining the value of the base model from how I see it.
First, out the door, my Outback cost 25k new. This is not a small chunk of change but it could almost purchase 2 upper trimmed well appointed Outbacks. The 0% financing was a pretty sweet deal as well.
Being such a basic car I must be missing a huge amount of features, and I must live like a complete Neanderthal for making such an unwise choice. Well rest assured that Subaru appointed the 2021 Outback Base mode with a ton of features. First, you get the full EyeSight package standard, you get automatic climate control (but only for one zone😢). You get automatic high beam, automatic lights and OMG powered windows with one touch up and down. You get the cool cross bars that fold into the roof rails, a rear camera, and probably a few other things I have forgotten.
Do I have the enormous touch screen infotainment system, Nope. Sadly I have two somewhat smaller touch screens instead. Do I have heated seats, rear A/C vents, or a cig lighter plug in the center console, nope. My mirrors are black as well. On the base you also loose the cool keyless access on the back hatch and I have to manually open and close my tailgate😩. Sunroof nope, (Come on Subaru and make a large sunroof on the outback like Forester).
Not today, but I someday dream of ventilated leather seats, and living the good life in a Wilderness model.....
At the end of the day, the base model Outback is an incredible value! It represents a small percentage of owners on this forum and many people consider the Premium model to be well worth the cost to upgrade from the base model. For me, the added upgrades to the premium model were not worth the cost and I took the dollars saved to put skid plates, a hitch and get a few accessories.
Again, I'm not wanting to upset anyone with this post. We all have different reasons for choosing our Outbacks. I hope this helps someone who is interested in the lower tiered Outbacks. Also, there are a few videos on YouTube that go into more details of the

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best value is no doubt premium. Base model has old and weird two small screens which is just not right. $2k from base to premium and you have the modern feeling inside with big screen apple carplay which is super useful and fog lights. Going from premium you have another good deal trim the Onyx. The base, tour and tour xt is not worth it.
I agree that the premium is a good value but for me I prefer the Onyx XT as it has more power, Startex low maintenance power seating, front & back camera etc which add to safety features. It also has a lower insurance premium & low depreciation.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Ltd CVT, 06 Legacy GT because #racecar :)
75 Posts
no shade on a 'base' new outback, when I bought my 13 2.5i limited back when it was new i saw it for the utility that it was, not a particular looker but worked fine for me, now it sits at 88000 miles, the new base model has everything my limited has and more, if i didn't need a tow vehicle i'd sell it then wait and buy another when the market is right, don't need fancy, but I did put A/T tires on it and a stealth hitch, only thing I really want is xmode. I had a 17 impreza with eyesight and that system is good but more stuff to break and windshield replacement is a pita. enjoy!

·
Registered
2007 Outback
62 Posts
I chuckle a little at some comments about "bare bones" base model cars. I remember when that really was the case. Base model really were bare bones.
  • standard transmission
  • no air conditioner
  • crank up windows
  • push down door locks
  • no cruise control
  • no rear defroster

Now days, base models have all of those and an order of magnitude more. That's plenty good enough for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Again, I'm not wanting to upset anyone with this post. We all have different reasons for choosing our Outbacks. I hope this helps someone who is interested in the lower tiered Outbacks. Also, there are a few videos on YouTube that go into more details of the different trims.
I also purchased the base model. For my $25K, I also got side door moldings and all weather floor liners. Value is one reason I chose the base but not the most important.
I wanted the base model BECAUSE it featured two separate touch screens instead the the big screen - too much going on for 1 screen and less glare from the piano black bezel around the big screen.
But I do miss some features (listed in order of importance):
the dark tinted glass on the back windows,
the additional color choices for interior and exterior,
heated seats,
fog lights.
And I really wish someone had told me about these deletions on the base:
puddle lights mounted to the bottom of the front doors
12 V socket in the console box,
single note horn instead of dual note horn.
I think every car model should have a base model option, so I don't fault Subaru for giving us that choice, but they should be more clear about what the Premium trim offers that the Base trim does not.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
124 Posts
I made the same decision with getting the base model in 2018. My model has air conditioning with automatic climate control (dual zone), factory heat-blocking glass, which is a must in South Carolina. It doesn't have a sunroof, which I never used in a previous purchase, and which loses me 2" of headroom inside, which is critical for a taller person. I have heated power mirrors and seats (which my wife uses about twice a year!), and cloth seats. I hate leather seats because the leather sticks to my thighs when I'm wearing shorts, which is much of the time when not working. I have larger alloy wheels. And the premium infotainment system sucks just as badly as the one in the premium model of the car. The one thing I miss, which was not available as an option for my model, is the power liftgate. As I'm getting older, I appreciate things that help my aging muscles. But I don't miss anything else about the premium options. I really didn't want to leather seats, sunroof, or keyless ignition. As long as I'm able to insert a key, I'll happily use one.

So for me, the base model was a no-brainer. All the other expensive options don't justify the convenience of the power liftgate to me. And the loss of 2" interior height would have been a show stopper.

To each their own . . . 😊

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded in my 2014 Forester, Base Model, for a 2021 Outback, Base Model. I felt like i got the deal of the century to move into such a luxurious automobile. I didn't even need Sirius as the car's Bluetooth, my cell phone and Pandora gives me all the different kinds of music, very nicely, that i choose. With the exception of the sunroof, i drove out of the dealership feeling a bit sorry for the customers that paid 10 to 15 grand more than i did. I have all the power this senior citizen wants, getting close to 40 mpg at freeway driving speeds, and comfort like i never expected at this base price.
I also purchased off-road tires with wheels and i feel quite secure on the primitive logging roads in the Sangres and Wet Mountains. I don't plan on boulder-crawling like i did with the Forester but i think this car would be up to it, if i demanded it.
I salute Subaru for providing such a gem for us cost-conscious people who love the outdoors!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Being a Touring owner, I choose not to socialize with the low class Base model owners like you. Oh wait, I just did. So what the heck, great choice with the Outback....you can't go wrong. The first Subaru we purchased was a 2010 Premium. Loved that Premium just as much as the 2020 Touring. Though I must admit the ventilated seats sure are nice for a Tucson person!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi,
We recently purchased the 2021 Outback top of the range. A bit more comfortable than our previous 2019 Forester.
We got a couple of extras-
Rubber floor mats also for rear cargo area.
Paint protection
Weather shields on all windows and headlight protectors.
A Towbar, which was put on by mistake and was all wired up so it was too much trouble to remove, so it was thrown in for free ( Probably made up the loss on something else! )
There are a few extras we'll probably never, or rarely use due to our mild climate here in Queensland Australia, although the last couple of days have caused us some thought as we've had cold weather) -
Heated Steering wheel
Heated Seats
Sun roof- while it's smaller than the Forester, it's never used by us - in Winter it's too cold, and Summer it's too hot.
We run the Air Con with windows up all year at 24C
Rear air con - we don't have more than 2 in the car most of the time so it's not needed
The keyless opening features are good but can sometimes be a bit of a nuisance especially if you lean against the tailgate to reach up to wash the roof- it will open if you have the key in your pocket.
The big screen is good but we preferred the smaller screens on the Forester ( 2019 ) - Still getting used to all the features and have read the manual about 4 times to familiarise with the heavy brute of a thing. I've read the Bible in less time and made more sense out of it in places.

The "Settings" app on the Home screen is really good as you can find most of what you need in the various pages within it. Eg. Auto On/Off feature

One thing that I notice has come up as a concern by some members- Oil Changes for the CVT gearbox.- This is a fully sealed unit and doesn't need oil changes

Overall We're very pleased with the Outback although there's one thing I miss- Headroom. I'm 6'3" and sometimes wish I had a bit more.

We could have bought the lower range model but there's a 4.5 month wait so we opted for the Premier model as it was available immediately.
It's a beaut car to drive and we can't wait for our next trip.
Cheers,
Cliff.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited with Nav/Moonroof/RAB-Rear CrossTraffic Alert
174 Posts
This post shouldn't upset anybody! You're sharing your experience with the "base" model, and not the "bottom of the barrel" model! A base model Outback is still an Outback. The vehicle's main virtues are present in all the models. Your Outback will still do a great job of hauling people and stuff to destinations far and wide. And when the roads get bad, you'll appreciate the sure-footedness of your Outback just as well as the rest of us do. In truth my own opinion is the Premium model always represented the best value, but that is me. And it's not a good value at all if the extras you're paying for are of litle importance to you. It's all a matter of priorities. Thank you for extoling the virtues of the base model; it will no doubl help many who are considering the Outback and are unsure of which model to get or if they want to spend extra money for bells and whistles they might not need or want.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback MT
56 Posts
I have a base model '99, MT. Even with the need for a second engine in 2009, I've made a lot of money by keeping it, even though a few times in the first ten years I was offered a new one free. I do know, though, that sometime within the next ten years I'll need to start again. My main concern is about something that the OP and others haven't talked about, the oomph factor between the '99 engine with MT and the base engine now with CVT. I haven't driven the latter, so have to go with other comments I've read on this forum that seem to see it as not all that great. I do recall a test drive of the '99 automatic back then and would have never gotten a Subaru with that set up. Btw, re heated seats, having lived the past 20 years in the Adirondacs, Minnesota and now Montana near YNP, I'm wondering: don't people wear cotton pants in winter and longjohns when it gets really cold? And a heated steering wheel? If it's that cold, I'm wearing gloves. What I'd rather have is a cooled one for summer.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts