Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
572 Posts
I have seen this video previously and there are numerous threads on the blue oem filter being "exposed" as being made by honeywell/fram and therefore being of inferior quality etc. etc. Show me an aftermarket filter with the correct bypass specs and I'm all ears.

That said, I trust the filter is made to last to its recommended lifespan--but I wouldn't push it beyond that (I generally change my blue OEM filter twice before I change my oil since I use synthetic).

· Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
572 Posts
How do you change just the filter without changing the oil?
Very quickly and carefully. You lose a little oil in the process which you have to replace, but it isn't that much. Until I can find a filter that matches the lifespan of the oil I run and meets the manufacturer's specs, it'll have to do.

· Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I have seen this video previously and there are numerous threads on the blue oem filter being "exposed" as being made by honeywell/fram and therefore being of inferior quality etc. etc. Show me an aftermarket filter with the correct bypass specs and I'm all ears.

That said, I trust the filter is made to last to its recommended lifespan--but I wouldn't push it beyond that (I generally change my blue OEM filter twice before I change my oil since I use synthetic).
Amsoil has filters that will last for 15k or 25k miles.

· Registered
07 2.5i
767 Posts
Show me an aftermarket filter with the correct bypass specs and I'm all ears.
WIX 57712 : Part Detail

That is a new part, only available in the last few months I think.

But the max flow rate of 9-11 GPM doesn't quite match the oil pump spec in the FSM (49.7 quarts/min == 12.425 gallons/min). I don't know how much of a problem that is.

The whole argument is ridiculous. Millions of vehicles run for hundreds of thousands of miles and many years on the dreaded Fram "orange can of doom". If that type of filter construction was a problem, Honeywell/Fram would be bankrupt from class action lawsuits.

· Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,001 Posts

· Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,135 Posts
The whole argument is ridiculous. Millions of vehicles run for hundreds of thousands of miles and many years on the dreaded Fram "orange can of doom". If that type of filter construction was a problem, Honeywell/Fram would be bankrupt from class action lawsuits.
Exactly what I think everytime someone cuts open a few filters and points out that the ones with the visually heavy duty parts must be the best without any real proof. And of course everyone has the story about Uncle Frank who used a Fram and it ruined his engine. I stick with the Subaru blue can just for piece of mind but I am sure the Fram is fine despite it's weaker bypass spec. Until you posted that new Wix filter the Subie filter was the only one I knew about that has the 23psi bypass and also includes the anti drainback valve. I know some were using a certain Purolator filter that had a 23psi bypass but it lacked an anti drainback valve.

· Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,341 Posts
ignore most oil and oil filter information online, it gets too much air time for such a simple topic. it hardly matters what oil/filter you use - all of them will get the car to 200,000 miles, just don't be careless. this is nothing new - it will always be the same discussion - everyone is right because it doesn't matter.

If you didn't already know, it is common knowledge that not all parts are:

A. Made by Subaru
and
B. Always the only or best choice available

Subaru doesn't make most of what they assemble.

· Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I spoke to both the service and maintenance manager at the Subaru dealership I bought my car at regarding the issue of using the blue OEM filter only, Subaru branded synthetic oil only compared to aftermarket and they BOTH told me separately that although Subaru RECOMMENDS you use the OEM filter and oil, that it will not harm, nor void your warranty if you use an aftermarket filter and they have NEVER in their experience seen Subaru deny a warranty claim because the car did not use the recommended products. The only time either of them have seen a claim denied by Subaru was when the intervals were not followed. They also said that if you do the oil changes yourself just make sure you save your receipts and keep a log of when you perform oil changes. The maintenance manager even said people have asked him, 'well, what if i buy my oil and filters in bulk? how do i prove that i did the oil changes?' He said to still keep the original itemized receipt from when the bulk purchase was made, and also keep a log boot of when you changed the oil and mileage. The one guy even told me he only uses Mobil1 in his car, and has for years, and changes the oil every 5,000 miles, since that falls right between the two oil change intervals that Subaru dictates.

Regarding the quality of the Fram filters, sure there are filters that have better quality end caps, etc., but nobody has ever asked the question, are these 'lesser' components bad enough to either fail and cause harm to the vehicle, or because of their 'lesser' design actually cause outright harm to th vehicle, and from what I have read or seen, the answer is no. I have never seen, as someone else has mentioned, a cut open OEM blue Subaru filter that has become disintegrated, disfigured, etc.

I almost drank the Kool Aid and jumped on the anti-Fram bandwagon, but one thing I think we need to keep in perspective, this is a part that is disposable and is meant to be used on the vehicle for only a few months. It's not a permanent part that is never replaced. If it was a permanent part then the longevity and quality of the filter would be an important consideration, but seriously, for a part that has such a short lifespan on the vehicle, I think too many people are overreacting.

More importantly, instead of debating what oil and what filter you should use (and yes, Suabru OEM filters have a higher bypass valve psi compared to any other aftermarket option, but again, this probably is not as important or critical compared to actually changing your oil when necessary, which is more beneficial to your engine in the long run), you should be deciding on your oil change interval. Determine which interval that Subaru dictates for your vehicle and driving style, stick to it, and change your oil and filter for that interval. Make of filter or synthetic oil is irrelevant. FWIW, Once my 2 years of included oil changes from the dealer come and go I will be using the OEM blue filters and Mobil1 (which I used for years in my Forester with no issues, ever.) The dealership has told me that for their oil changes on my 2012 OB 2.5 they will be using the Subaru branded 5w30 full synthetic.

· Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,312 Posts

· Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,001 Posts
they BOTH told me separately that although Subaru RECOMMENDS you use the OEM filter and oil, that it will not harm, nor void your warranty if you use an aftermarket filter and they have NEVER in their experience seen Subaru deny a warranty claim because the car did not use the recommended products.
Because it would be illegal for them to do so.

The dealership has told me that for their oil changes on my 2012 OB 2.5 they will be using the Subaru branded 5w30 full synthetic.
The dealer is knowing, and purposely, using more expensive oil than is recommended by the factory for free services? I find that surprising.

· Meh.
I has wagons.
12,280 Posts
The Subaru filter is made by Honeywell. It is a Fram filter built to specific Subaru specs (bypass rating and whatnot).

Wix just released a filter that also meets the bypass spec, and a few others have a similar range.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.