Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently parted company with my beautiful 2006 Tacoma 4x. I spent hours researching this truck and thousands kitting it..only to sell it. I figured it would never get the use it was built for..not with the family.

Sooo....

I bought a 2007 OB Bean with a six banger. Love it so far but it will need some gear to take her to the next level. I am not looking for a rock crawler..just something with a little dirt in her veins...yet keeping some street smarts.

Sooo..

Tires: what is recommended. 95% will be here in AZ where snow is something you need to go north for...which we will do. So, snow habits are important but not the most pressing. I want some skins that will have solid dirt habits without making a ton of road noise and kill MPG.

Suspension: A wee bit of lift would be nice if it will not be a huge detriment to handling, mpg...reliability. Again, thinking dirt friendly.

Protection: the last item I was going to put on my truck was some skid plates. Thoughts?

Anything else I need to think about? I never thought I would see myself in a wagon but I am digging the idea of the adventure I will see in this thing!

Thanks in advance!

Tim

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
I think you're going to see a fair consensus here of King Springs for ~2" lift, and Primitive Racing for skidplates. Seen a lot of praise for the Yokohama Geolandar tires, but don't recall if more like the H/T-S vs the A/T-S. Former is a bit more biased toward road manners, latter gets more off road serious.

Not that I've afforded to do any of these for my car. I'm still mostly fixing the ugly rubbed on it and broken bits from its previous life.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Tim, no offense intended, but read up on past threads - all your questions have been discussed over and over.... and over.

I'm running A/T-S tires and love them. I think they are perfect for SW driving conditions and they are much more durable than wimpy touring tires. Be SURE to carry a full sized spare.

Recovery options are limited for these cars - plan on a solid anchor point at both ends of the car, a snatch strap, shovel and air pump at the very least. Since you will encounter lots of deep soft sand, you need to be able to air down, and you should think hard about sand ladders.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None taken....

There is a billion threads on tires and suspension and in some of mu research, I could not find any dedicated to what I am trying to do...but I ver well could missed some.

Thanks for the advice!! I have some recovery gear left from my truck!

T

Tim, no offense intended, but read up on past threads - all your questions have been discussed over and over.... and over.

I'm running A/T-S tires and love them. I think they are perfect for SW driving conditions and they are much more durable than wimpy touring tires. Be SURE to carry a full sized spare.

Recovery options are limited for these cars - plan on a solid anchor point at both ends of the car, a snatch strap, shovel and air pump at the very least. Since you will encounter lots of deep soft sand, you need to be able to air down, and you should think hard about sand ladders.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently parted company with my beautiful 2006 Tacoma 4x. I spent hours researching this truck and thousands kitting it..only to sell it. I figured it would never get the use it was built for..not with the family.

Sooo....

I bought a 2007 OB Bean with a six banger. Love it so far but it will need some gear to take her to the next level. I am not looking for a rock crawler..just something with a little dirt in her veins...yet keeping some street smarts.

Sooo..

Tires: what is recommended. 95% will be here in AZ where snow is something you need to go north for...which we will do. So, snow habits are important but not the most pressing. I want some skins that will have solid dirt habits without making a ton of road noise and kill MPG.

Suspension: A wee bit of lift would be nice if it will not be a huge detriment to handling, mpg...reliability. Again, thinking dirt friendly.

Protection: the last item I was going to put on my truck was some skid plates. Thoughts?

Anything else I need to think about? I never thought I would see myself in a wagon but I am digging the idea of the adventure I will see in this thing!

Thanks in advance!

Tim
You should look hard into either lifting blocks like Subtle Solutions (or make your own, make sure to replace struts unless they are new or newish) or King Springs which are good for anywhere from 1-2" depending on settling. As far as protection the general consensus is that Primitive Racing has the goods and they are a small business who hand make each product (read: AWESOME!)

Primitive is still the only place I believe you can buy King Springs domestically (no intl shipping) so you could start there.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
Hankook dynapro ATm is a nice quiet tire that handles well off pavement.

The lifting blocks in combination with strut spacers would be my personal preference for a lift, as the kings are super stiff and I really enjoy the soft ride and better articulation with the stock springs.

If you can, find a shop to whip you up some steel skid plates. I have the full armor from primitive. The very first time the rear skid hit a rock, it was pressed up all the way to my differential. The first time the front skid got some use, it was pressed in to the sway bar and made an awful noise every time I went over a bump. The rear also only has one mounting point, so if you hit something on the passenger side, the 1/4" gap between the skid and exhaust pipe closes and you get a sweet metallic grinding/scraping sound as the skid plate cuts through the exhaust pipe.

Maybe I am "heavy" on the skid plates, but still... they should not be so crushed the first time they get rocks on em.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dude, I've done HOURS of research and i'm looking for the same thing you are. made posts, nobody can help. i'm sure it has been covered. but, i'm not gonna read all 52 pages of the suspension thread to find the one post that MIGHT be there.
i'm looking for a small lift and to stiffen the suspension a little. what I've come up with is KYB GR2's all the way around using 00'-04' rears and either kings springs or the lift blocks...your choice. the springs make it more stiff...but idk how much. i'm using mine for towing a jet-ski in the summer and a snowmobile in the winter. ill probably do new top hats for the struts too. idk if you can do both because nobody will tell us but id imagine that should be good for 3" + and using a 225/60-17 is good for another 1/2". after it settles id say at least 2.5". BUT i have no idea because nobody can show us this unicorn.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5L 4AT
6 Posts
My 2000 OB wagon needed new suspension around 160k miles so I replaced springs and struts with new ones made to fit a 2004 (I think) Turbo Baja. Lifted it a little over an inch while improving ride quality and handling. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Some don't like the stiffness of the Baja springs, but they feel great to my wife and me. We also have an Off Road Xterra with 4" of suspension lift so we're used to stiffer lifted vehicles ;)

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Since you said that you are missing your truck...

One thing to consider is getting a towing setup and a small utility trailer. Hitches and wiring harnesses typically run about $200-250 USD for parts from any number of trailer supply stores. Plenty of info here on installing it on your own.

A trailer will give you the cargo hauling capacity that you are missing from your truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts