Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the real reason it sold for so much was because it is in the correct color for any car: green (in this case Highland Green) ‘Bullitt’ Mustang sells for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction

Transcript of the article

"The iconic Highland Green 1968 Mustang GT that once made history for its appearance in the film “Bullitt” is now making history again. It fetched $3.74 million Friday at Mecum’s Kissimmee auction, making it the most expensive Mustang ever sold.

It surpassed the previous record held by a 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake that sold for $2.2 million at the 2019 Mecum Kissimmee auction.

An estimated 25,000 spectators packed into a standing-room-only Silver Spurs Arena as owner Sean Kiernan, with his sister Kelly Cotton riding shotgun, drove the car across the auction block. Before the bidding started, Kiernan said a few words about the famous Mustang while flanked by friends and family.

Sean Kiernan spends a few more minutes with his car Bullitt, a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, before it sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold.

Sean Kiernan spends a few more minutes with his car "Bullitt," a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, before it sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold. (Patrick Connolly / Orlando Sentinel)

“This car had sold twice in its life, it’s been in my family for 45 years. Each time it has sold, it was $3,500,” he said to an enthusiastic crowd. “So we’re going to start it off at that price and go from there.”

The asking price quickly escalated to $3 million in the first minute of frenzied bidding, as auctioneer Matt Moravec stood on top of the auction podium, towering above the crowd.

In the minutes to follow, the top bid traded places between someone present and a bidder on the phone. After about seven minutes of “Bullitt” bids, the person on the other end of the telephone became the lucky buyer, paying $3.74 million with the 10 percent buyer’s premium.

Auctioneer Matt Moravec takes bids for Bullitt, a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, which sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold.

Auctioneer Matt Moravec takes bids for "Bullitt," a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, which sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold. (Patrick Connolly / Orlando Sentinel)

The storied Mustang draws its significance in part from the fact that it was hidden away from public view for decades, privately owned by a family. Robert Kiernan of Madison, N.J., had always wanted a 1968 Mustang fastback and picked up the car after seeing an ad in a 1974 issue of “Road & Track.”

Later in the ’70s, McQueen tracked down the Kiernan family — who used it as a daily commuter until the clutch gave out in 1980 — and sent letters asking if he could reclaim the muscle car in return for a similar Mustang. His pleas went unanswered.

The car didn’t get much attention until 2001 when Robert and his son Sean worked to get the Mustang into drivable condition again. After Robert’s death in 2014, Sean found a renewed purpose in finishing the car and finally revealing it to the world.

Bullitt, a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold.

"Bullitt," a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold. (Patrick Connolly / Orlando Sentinel)

“It was huge for me and my father. I felt that, and I felt dad with me all the time,” Sean said. “I’ll miss her. My whole family will be here; we’ll all be crying. I don’t know my life without this car.”

Following the Mustang’s sale, Sean said he doesn’t think a more expensive Mustang will ever be sold.

“As far as Mustangs go, this is it. With dad being down in the record books forever, that’s what matters to me,” he said. “I’ve been at peace with the sale for probably eight months now. We’re just having fun with this.”

Bullitt, a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, is driven by previous owner Sean Kiernan before it sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold.

"Bullitt," a famous 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 movie of the same name, is driven by previous owner Sean Kiernan before it sold for $3.74 million at Mecum Kissimmee auction on Friday, Jan 10, 2020. It now holds the record for the most expensive Mustang ever sold. (Patrick Connolly/Orlando Sentinel)

Sean said he has met with many of the car’s prospective buyers before the auction and thinks he knows who the new owner is, but he isn’t 100 percent sure. Regardless, Sean’s life will become a bit quieter now, and the money from this auction will help fund his next project.

“I’m going to build another ’68 fastback, one that no one cares about,” he said."​

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,205 Posts
I don't think any Subaru of today has this kind of potential future collector value 50 years out from now, simply because if a Subaru were involved:
1. They can't do movie sets on location like this any more, with this kind of danger involved. We're talking San Francisco, after all.
2. And even if they did, only stunt men / women would be allowed to drive, not the featured star. This car's value is partly because Steve McQueen did a lot of his own driving.
3. What other car is there today that the Subaru could chase that is so well matched that the chase scene can last for 10 full minutes?
4. McQueen would probably jump in at the start, hit the "start" button, and the battery would be dead. Bad guy gets away.
5. It would have to involve some off-roading, of course. What kind of chase scene can you make out of that?
6. (insert your own reasons here)

Anyway, you know we can't post the news of this sale and not have a look at the most classic 10 minutes of car chase ever recorded on film. Minimal stunt drivers, no video speedup, no digital effects, nothing faked, no stupid music or character drama, not many secondary wrecks. Just a car chase:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,506 Posts
The funniest part about this is SOME GUY bought the ACTUAL Bullitt Mustang and then daily drove it for 6 years.

My hero.

Pulls up to work. Someone compliments him on his car. Says it's just like the one Steve McQueen drove.

He giggles to himself and goes on into the factory.

Robert Kiernan of Madison, N.J., had always wanted a 1968 Mustang fastback and picked up the car after seeing an ad in a 1974 issue of “Road & Track.”
Later in the ’70s, McQueen tracked down the Kiernan family — who used it as a daily commuter until the clutch gave out in 1980

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
The funniest part about this is SOME GUY bought the ACTUAL Bullitt Mustang and then daily drove it for 6 years.

My hero.

Pulls up to work. Someone compliments him on his car. Says it's just like the one Steve McQueen drove.

He giggles to himself and goes on into the factory.

Robert Kiernan of Madison, N.J., had always wanted a 1968 Mustang fastback and picked up the car after seeing an ad in a 1974 issue of “Road & Track.”
Later in the ’70s, McQueen tracked down the Kiernan family — who used it as a daily commuter until the clutch gave out in 1980
And someone just paid 3 mil to most likely never drive it again.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Not just that - but once the movie caught on as a classic of sorts, McQueen tracked the car down in 1977 and attempted to buy it from the guy's father. And he didn't even respond to McQueen.

The letter from McQueen was apparently part of the authenticity document package that usually accompanies such notable transactions.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,174 Posts
Yes, green is the correct color for many cars. the correct green that is. I like the dark Oxford Green that BMW used many years ago. I find the current green used by Subaru on their OB disappointing. Attached is an example

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,527 Posts
I had a '73 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that was green with a green interior. Definitely the wrong color for that car. Kind of hard to even change the exterior color with green seats. And the vinyl roof was green as well.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '12 OB 3.6 (Deceased MVA), '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
153 Posts
I don't think any Subaru of today has this kind of potential future collector value 50 years out from now, simply because if a Subaru were involved:
1. They can't do movie sets on location like this any more, with this kind of danger involved. We're talking San Francisco, after all.
2. And even if they did, only stunt men / women would be allowed to drive, not the featured star. This car's value is partly because Steve McQueen did a lot of his own driving.
3. What other car is there today that the Subaru could chase that is so well matched that the chase scene can last for 10 full minutes?
4. McQueen would probably jump in at the start, hit the "start" button, and the battery would be dead. Bad guy gets away.
5. It would have to involve some off-roading, of course. What kind of chase scene can you make out of that?
6. (insert your own reasons here)

Anyway, you know we can't post the news of this sale and not have a look at the most classic 10 minutes of car chase ever recorded on film. Minimal stunt drivers, no video speedup, no digital effects, nothing faked, no stupid music or character drama, not many secondary wrecks. Just a car chase:

[/QUOTE
If you watch closely, the Bad Guys in the Dodge Charger actually lose MORE hubcaps than the car even has !!! Some are lost in the chase Part 1, and some are lost in Part 2. See if you can count how money. My Grandpa showed this to me when we watched this movie together back in the day, I was about 8 or 9. Thank You for bringing this wonderful memory back to my foggy, old brain :) Chris

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
I had a '73 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that was green with a green interior. Definitely the wrong color for that car. Kind of hard to even change the exterior color with green seats. And the vinyl roof was green as well.
We were a bit out of our minds back in those days. I intentionally bought a '69 Road Runner....green on green with a green vinyl top. What were we thinking, at least it wasn't the paisley vinyl top edition.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 996 Carrera 4S, ‘68 Mustang Fastback
25 Posts
As I was restoring my ‘68 Fastback, i discovered the build sheet. I had the same year, make, model and color as the Bullitt. It just made sense to bring her back to the factory color! I wonder what $$ I could get?! Lol

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
We were a bit out of our minds back in those days. I intentionally bought a '69 Road Runner....green on green with a green vinyl top. What were we thinking, at least it wasn't the paisley vinyl top edition.
Mine was a matter of you take what you can get. I bought mine in 1984 from a fellow student in the collision repair vocational school I was attending at the time. I gave him $60 for it. I drove it for most of the summer of 1985 and had a blast with that 472ci big block even though the car weighed over 5000lbs. I ended up selling it for $40 to a guy who wanted the tilt/telescoping steering column and the power window regulators for a street rod build. Before parting it out he entered it in a demolition derby. Of all of the cars I owned that is one of the few I don't have a picture of. Quite a few years later I bought a '76 Coupe DeVille from my dad and eventually scrapped that. I saved the 500ci engine and the tilt/telescoping column, both of which will end up in my '63 Chevy Stepside pickup someday.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
As I was restoring my ‘68 Fastback, i discovered the build sheet. I had the same year, make, model and color as the Bullitt. It just made sense to bring her back to the factory color! I wonder what $$ I could get?! Lol
Just claim you saw Bullitt when it was first released. That should make your Fastback worth at least 2 mil :)
I saved the 500ci engine and the tilt/telescoping column, both of which will end up in my '63 Chevy Stepside pickup someday.
That should make for a nice street rod.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If you watch closely, the Bad Guys in the Dodge Charger actually lose MORE hubcaps than the car even has !!!
That's one of many issues that have been noted, as well as that the right front damage to the Mustang from pushing the Dodge off the road appears a couple of times earlier in the sequence because of the order the scenes were filmed.

But the one that tops it for me is the guy who lays down the motorcycle to avoid being struck by the two chase cars. Apparently, that wasn't planned, according to some folklore at the time it first came out - but afterward they merely settled with the guy (he ended up with a broken leg) and kept this film segment in. And it seems to be supported by some events on film, namely:
1. You'll see McQueen actually stop and look back at the guy, then take off again chasing after the bad guys once he sees a couple other guys rush up to help him. Question is, why would he only stop for this guy?
2. You can't see it at this Youtube resolution, but on a large screen one of those two guys helping him is actually on set and wearing a headset.

Like I said, no digital editing back then.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
That should make for a nice street rod.
By the time I get it done I will probably be too old to enjoy it. ?

I brought it home about 22 years ago. So far I have upgraded it to add power steering and front suspension from an '81 Chevy to get disc brakes. Also swapped the rear axle assembly from the same truck to match the 5-lug wheels instead of the original 6 lug. Other than that I have spent a lot of money accumulating parts for it but haven't done any work on it in a long time. I keep telling myself the next time it rolls into my shop it isn't coming out until it is done.

I've had it so long that this picture of when I first got it was taken with a film camera.:ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts