Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a LOT of confusion on what the iPhone can and can't do with the release of iOS6 and the various models of Subaru radios.

If everyone could post the following information and what functions you can successfully do with your iPhone and radio it may clear up a lot of the confusion.

Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model
Specific Radio
iPhone Model
iPhone OS

Bluetooth Features
What is your phone capable of doing? What steps did you have to follow to enable these functions?

·
Registered
351 Posts
There is a LOT of confusion on what the iPhone can and can't do with the release of iOS6 and the various models of Subaru radios.

If everyone could post the following information and what functions you can successfully do with your iPhone and radio it may clear up a lot of the confusion.

Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model
Specific Radio
iPhone Model
iPhone OS

Bluetooth Features
What is your phone capable of doing? What steps did you have to follow to enable these functions?
Outback Year/Model = 2013 Ltd, EyeSight
Specific Radio = see above
iPhone Model = phone models 4 and 5
iPhone OS - v 6

I've tried pairing different phones, v 5.1 and 6 OS.

I've tried pairing as phone and multimedia device.

All pairings have the "show notifications", "sync contacts" and each of the "groups" selected.

I have satisfactory phone function, I can play audio tracks via the Bluetooth choice in the car and as iPod when plugged in with USB. I have sporadic luck receiving text messages and cannot send back if I use one of the default responses on the car's display.

Note, all my attempts to reply have been from iMessages (blue) and not SMS (green).

I support technology for a living so am usually good at figuring things out but don't expect to spend much time on this because it is both implicit and explicit that your job is to drive and obey the laws.

My understanding is any reply while you're driving even if from a button or Siri violates the statues in my state. Thus, my not wasting considerable effort to get it to work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2013 Limited with Nav/Eyesight
440w 9-speaker HK premium
iPhone 4s
iOS 6

Bluetooth features --> handsfree calling, audio streaming, receive text messages and have Siri read them out loud ... unable to reply to text messages

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model: 2012 3.6R Limited
Specific Radio: H/K with Nav
iPhone Model: iPhone4S
iPhone OS: iOS6

Bluetooth Features
Same as pre-iOS6: handsfree phone calling and A2DP streaming audio with song/info display and control via the Nav touch screen. No joy on the new Bluetooth MAP read-SMS features after deleting profiles on both iPhone and Nav system and then re-pairing both phone and stereo separately.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model: 2013 2.5i Limited
Specific Radio: H/K, no nav
iPhone Model: iPhone4S

Bluetooth Features
Same as pre-iOS6: handsfree phone calling and BT streaming audio with song/info display and skip/back control via the HK audio. No joy on the new Bluetooth MAP read-SMS features after deleting profiles on both iPhone and Nav system and then re-pairing both phone and stereo separately.

To be honest, I'm going to give up. It's just not that big a deal in the grand scheme of the universe. My biggest frustration with the whole thing was the only reason I was quick to update to IOS6 was in hopes it would better integrate with my car audio. Now I wish I'd stayed with IOS5. Lesson learned again: it never pays to be an early adopter!
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is a controversial issue for me- at least as it affects the driver interacting with these "Car TV" units. I have a navigator in the passenger seat that deals with these matters much of the time, and if she's not...it's off. Still good to know that nothing has change about the predictable "early adopter syndrome" with any new hardware or software. It always pays to keep in mind the adage "Don't be on the bleeding edge unless you're prepared to."

We won't be getting iPhones until later, and if we buy a car with a system they'll interface in, later than that, so perhaps these things will be worked out by then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model: 2013 2.5Limited
Specific Radio: H/K with Nav
Phone Model: HTC Arrive Win phone

Bluetooth Features
Handsfree phone calling and A2DP streaming audio with song/info display and control via the Nav touch screen. No trouble getting both my HTC and work Blackberry to stream, download phonebook. Voice dial never works, it absolutely stinks. No matter who I've tried calling it never recognises anyone. The BT on my motorcycle helmet voice dial works perfectly and its a $109 unit. Maybe Subaru should copy it :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model: 2012 2.5 Premium
Specific Radio: Non-HK ("B-type" according to the manual)
iPhone Model: iPhone 4

Bluetooth Features

Hands-free calling works fine. A2DP audio streaming works fine - steering wheel controls will skip forward/back through the current playlist, head-unit displays track info.

Not working - syncing contacts. So far I haven't been able to get this to work at all - the only way to enter contacts is manually or by voice-entry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't do the Subaru, but I was forwarded a link so I thought I'd chime in for everyone's benefit. :D

I work for a company that builds and uses tools for Bluetooth developers. I have a membership with the Bluetooth Special Interest Group that allows me access to some rather technicial information. While I can't help you understand your connectivity issues, I can tell you what should work form your iOS6 device.

We'll stick with messaging, since that seemed to be what a few people were concerned about.

iOS6 only supports SMS messaging from a GSM phone. (T-Mobile, AT&T).:29: CDMA users, (Verizon) You are currently out of luck. :28:

No email over Bluetooth from an iOS device. Period.

iOS6 is purported to support MMS messaging over Bluetooth as well. If you can find a car that will read you a picture, I'd like to know about it.

email me if you have a question, I won't likely see the PMs.
[email protected]

DC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model: 2012 2.5i Limited
Specific Radio: H/K Premium PE627U1
iPhone Model: iPhone4
iPhone OS: iOS5

Bluetooth Features
Handsfree calling and Bluetooth streaming - Pair phone and enable internal audio.

Has anyone noticed that even if you're listening to the radio with bluetooth paired, the sounds will get momentarily softer when you receive an email? I've noticed that on my iPhone and my wife's HTC Amaze - not sure if this is a bug or a feature...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hardware Specs
Outback Year/Model: 2012 2.5i Limited
Specific Radio: H/K Premium PE627U1
iPhone Model: iPhone4
iPhone OS: iOS5

Bluetooth Features
Handsfree calling and Bluetooth streaming - Pair phone and enable internal audio.

Has anyone noticed that even if you're listening to the radio with bluetooth paired, the sounds will get momentarily softer when you receive an email? I've noticed that on my iPhone and my wife's HTC Amaze - not sure if this is a bug or a feature...
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 w ios 6 on a 2012 Outback Ltd 3.6. When I get an email while listening over bluetooth or by usb the volume drops for about a second.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On my non-nav 13' 3.6R I cannot upload contacts but the phone feature works fine. However when an email or text message comes through I am not alerted. For some reason the email/text sound is muted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My vehicle and stats

2013 Outback 2.5i Premium, H/K non-nav, radio model #: PE658U1

iPhone 5, AT&T (GSM), iOS 6.1 build 10B143

BT phone operation works fine, pairs with no problem. However no multi-media seems available. Can't sync contacts, nothing in the way of MAP functionality, so no text/iMessage integration available.

A2DP (Bluetooth audio streaming) also works very well, shows metadata on the screen (song, artist, etc) and track forward/backward work correctly. In iPod mode using the USB jack and an Apple Lightning cable, full iPod functionality including browsing of Playlist, Album, Artist, etc. works without issue.

As for previous comments regarding what happens when email is received during music playback, that's an iOS / iPhone feature. The music volume dips long enough for your "mail received" sound to play, then music volume returns. This has nothing to do with the H/K system at all. You'd find identical functionality using AirPlay in your house, or even listening with headphones.

Not having the MAP functionality isn't a big deal to me other than the inability to either sync my contacts to the car, or simply have the car read the name associated with the phone number when a call is active. (Assuming iOS broadcasts more than just phone number over BT)

There's my two cents.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
2013 Limited with Nav/Eyesight
440w 9-speaker HK premium
iPhone 4s
iOS 6

Bluetooth features --> handsfree calling, audio streaming, receive text messages and have Siri read them out loud ... unable to reply to text messages
Same as above on my '13 OB limited 3.6R

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '13 2.5 Prem with no nav and the standard radio;
iPhone 4S latest OS

I only use bluetooth for phone calls, since I have an iPod plugged into the USB port. It works great - audio, from whatever source (FM, iPod, etc.) stops when the phone rings, and it plays the right ringtone. The sound is good on the other end of the call, according to the people I've spoken to.

I can use Siri via the home button on the phone to dial calls, which is easier than trying to use the "Speak" button on the steering wheel. Especially b/c all my contacts are already in the phone and I don't feel like programming them all into the audio unit.

I did try to put a couple of frequently-called numbers into the audio unit with a speed dial assignment, but I haven't quite figured out how to dial with speed dial yet. I'll probably bust out the manual and mess with that tomorrow.

But pairing was easy and I love the functionality for phone calls.

I also reeeeallly love the USB jack for my iPod! Jeeez, this is why I got an iPod in the first place all those years ago: Road Triiiip!

-James

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not having the MAP functionality isn't a big deal to me other than the inability to either sync my contacts to the car, or simply have the car read the name associated with the phone number when a call is active. (Assuming iOS broadcasts more than just phone number over BT)
The iPhone uses PBAP for accessing contacts. Some head units use OBEX and have you send contacts to the head unit. PBAP is cleaner, but OBEX has been around longer.

The HU I put into my premium uses PBAP and I get names just fine. The standard unit uses OBEX, which does not work, since the iPhone doesn't support OBEX. The HK or Nav supposedly uses PBAP though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know it says iPhone, but here's some Android info

Hardware Specs

2013 Outback Limited
Navigation
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon/CDMA)
Android 4.2.2

Bluetooth Features
Contact sync works
Handsfree calling works
Bluetooth streaming works - no skipping or other quality issues
AVRCP 1.0 works (next/prev track buttons, no song info!)

Some custom rom versions based on Android 4.1 (CyanogenMod, AOKP, etc), had AVRCP 1.3 included, which had support for track info display on bluetooth streaming. In the 4.2 upgrade, Google switched to a different bluetooth stack which currently only supports AVRCP 1.0 (no more song info).

So if you install CM 10.0, you'll have song info. If you install CM 10.1 (or stick with stock) you won't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hardware Specs
2013 Outback Limited
iPhone 4S IOS 6.1.2

My phone is paired via bluetooth, but the car voice features don't really work at all for me. No contacts or anything...the voice menus are just annoying so I'm not sure how much you can really integrate. I basically use Siri, which works very well, to control everything with it (make calls, send texts, play artists, etc). I do use the steering wheel hang-up button to end calls. The stereo acts weird when you plug into USB and try to bluetooth, so I just always stream via bluetooth and have a cigarette lighter USB charger to keep the battery good. So use it for music all the time, phone features when I need to make calls, and Google maps works pretty well (although the music fade is a little funky in that it will fade when she's about to say something). One annoying thing is that the phone ringer when receiving a call is super loud compared to the level of the music. Wish I could just use my ringer instead of their super abrasive loud ringer.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Same as Se7enLC except my Samsung Galaxy III service is with AT&T (GSM). All funstions work fine as long as only one phone is "registered" with NAV. If you switch phones (or upgrade) make sure you delete your old phone from the system. If you don't you may have Bluetooth connecting issues.
I just use it for phone calls and messaging; messages come in text-to-voice format and are read through the NAV audio (that is a default setting).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
21 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing