Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster....

Vitals: 14 Outback Wagon, 2.5i, auto, 250k mi

Driving home from the SE Concrete Jungle (ATL) in the rain yesterday, and I got a bunch of lights flashing on my dash. Ran the codes and I’m getting the “Torque Converter Solenoid” code. Did a little research and I’m going to look into external wiring issues, but if those are ruled out I’m probably going to just go ahead and replace the transmission with a donor... no need in replacing parts that cost time and (potentially a lot of) money on a 250k transmission when I can spend just a little more on a used, lower mileage transmission, right?

I’ve replaced my share of 350 turbos and 700Rs back in the day, but never a car like this. Me and my mechanically inclined neighbor will be taking care of this in one of our garages.

What pitfalls should I expect?
Anything special that I should look for on a donor?
What is the best place to get the CVT trans fluid and filter, as these seem to be rare as hens teeth?

Thank you in advance,
Ryan

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
138 Posts
Search for my thread about fixing that code (Might be in the DIY Section?), I know it is a different transmission but yours will be easier. I also link to where you can find just the solenoids that fail directly from the manufacturer of the transmissions...and it is a lot cheaper. The solenoid is not a lot and if you go for the whole Control Valve Body, it will still be cheaper than a new transmission.

Any used transmission will potentially have that issue as well.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
You can also replace just the solenoid that's bad. I just did a write up and video on it.

With the 2013 models they have the TR580 which has the valve body on top so you shouldn't need too much fluid since dropping the pan isn't necessary.

Was around a hundred bucks for a new solenoid.

Since I have no use for it currently if you want to try it I can send you the solenoid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very generous offer. I don’t know how to send a PM with this forum, but let me know how to get you my information and I will gladly pay you shipping and a fair price for it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brucey has sent me the solenoid and information on how to change it. I will update once I have performed the work.

Thank you for the direction and help!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
138 Posts
Oh nice another good article to read! I've been reading a lot about these transmissions lately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got the part from Brucey, fluid and filter from Subaru, and got started last night. Access to the valve body from the top is not too bad, but it took some trial and error to determine which bolts to remove to get it off.

Swapped out the solenoid and put everything back in place, but we had to call it a night before finishing due to it being so late..

Also, we found a coolant leak on top of the engine block that we need to track down. Oh, well, at least we found it early, as my fluid levels in the reservoir are in good shape still.

More updates when finished. Thank you again for the guidance, Brucey!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
Well, I got the part from Brucey, fluid and filter from Subaru, and got started last night. Access to the valve body from the top is not too bad, but it took some trial and error to determine which bolts to remove to get it off.

Swapped out the solenoid and put everything back in place, but we had to call it a night before finishing due to it being so late..

Also, we found a coolant leak on top of the engine block that we need to track down. Oh, well, at least we found it early, as my fluid levels in the reservoir are in good shape still.

More updates when finished. Thank you again for the guidance, Brucey!
Did you lose much fluid with the valve body being on top?

I'm not sure which coolant lines run across the top of the engine. I would have to check out the schematics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I got it all put back together this evening. Went to fill it back up and could only get about 7qt to go back in after fill, run, cycle gears X3. We drained out a little over 8 quarts, so this has us a little concerned.

But the dash lights ARE off.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
Alright, I got it all put back together this evening. Went to fill it back up and could only get about 7qt to go back in after fill, run, cycle gears X3. We drained out a little over 8 quarts, so this has us a little concerned.

But the dash lights ARE off.
I believe there is a fill procedure.

Between a certain temperature.

While the vehicle is running.

Did you do that?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
138 Posts
I believe there is a fill procedure.

Between a certain temperature.

While the vehicle is running.

Did you do that?
You want to fill it from the fill port until it overflows when cold, then you want to start the car and let the transmission get to running temperature, the easiest way to do this is to check the resistance between pins 16 and 19 shown below. After that you want to, while the car is still running, crack back open the fill port and let whatever fluid flow out.

I waited until there was a a slow thin stream of fluid when I capped mine off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve been on the road and will return tonight. I’ll provide updates on the trans fluid, but I’ll probably start another thread in the coolant...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checking the fluid with the car running made all of the difference. Topped it off today no problem.

Now, onto the cooling system

Thank you all again for the help, especially you, Brucey!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts