Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has loved her Subaru Outback(s) and she currently drives a Gen 4 Outback that we have owned since new in 2013. I intend to buy my wife a new car in the near (hopefully) future and pass this Outback on to my newly minted 16 year old daughter. The car has 79K miles.

We have unfortunately been getting the blend door actuator clicking syndrome for a couple of years now. This occurs mainly when the mode selector is placed to blow out of the main upper (face) vents. When I turn the mode to blend both upper and foot vents...the clicks go away. When I blend foot and defrost I also get no clicks. When I go back to the mode for singular front/face vents the clicking starts again. I haven't fully vetted this....but I believe that I am not getting much air to the feet when in the feet/front face combo vent mode....but the singular foot vent mode blows as expected.

I have done some searching on the interwebz and at this site. I have run through the modes with the fan set to hi in hopes that I can get the clicking to stop as some have stated.....I can abate the sound temporarily or by switching to an appropriate click-less mode. I don't think that this is a 'cure'. I have seen a few videos....some looking at an actuator on the glove/box passenger side and others where dash removal seems required. My clicking seems to be coming from the driver's side dash/steering column area.

I can only imagine what the dealer would charge me. I'm handy....but not very technical. I replaced the side-view passenger mirror yesterday with a salvage mirror which required interior door panel removal no problems. I'm not sure that it is wise for me to attempt to fix this blend door actuator clicking if it requires full dash removal....at least not without a good video detailing the procedure....and perhaps a cold iced tea and a sedative.

Does anyone have any helpful information relating to a fix for this blend door actuator clicking issue? Are there some videos that I may have missed? Any advice appreciated.

Kit

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2008 LGT, 2013 Outback 2.5
530 Posts
A friend of mine (has his own shop), has fixed this issue numerous times.
It involves removing the actuator motor assembly, taking it apart and cleaning the grease from the electrical contacts.
The contacts get grease on them and don't work so it doesn't give feedback to the hvac controller to know its position so it keeps cycling.
He has never removed the dash, but it might require a bit of Houdini contortions to get it out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.. if I knew where to start pulling things apart, I could better understand whether this is something that I could accomplish on my own. There's a couple of videos that vary widely..... One of which looks like a holy mess with the entire car pulled apart. Mine is a 2013. I wish I heard the noise coming over from near the glove box, however, it seems to be coming from the driver's side dashboard area

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic + 2001 2.5 VDC
483 Posts
Mine has been doing this for a while and although I have no issues technically or mechanically I just can't face the hastle of it.. plus I don't seem to ever have a weekend free where I could get into it.. there are always other more pressing issues to sort out...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts