Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is going to be for modifications that cost nothing or next to nothing. Some I've made up and others I've stolen from elsewhere...

Regardless, lots of them go unseen and will be more useful compiled here in one place.

:29:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Like New Caliper & Rotors

Like New Caliper & Rotors

Cost: ~$15 if you don't have a wire wheel brush or polyurethane

DIY:

1. Remove the wheel (with car on a jack stand).

2. Attach a wire wheel to your 3/8-inch drill.

3. Run the drill at high speed and brush all the rust off the inner hub of the rotor and the caliper. Watch out for the brake sensor. Make sure you have a mask and eye protection. A fan is handy too for blowing the dust cloud away.

4. Put some masking tape on the brake surface of the rotors.

5. Spray with polyurethane - about 3 coats. A little overspray on the rotor surface is OK. Clean the rotors surface with carburetor cleaner as needed.

It will stay clean and look like new for a long time. I did this on my last car and it worked beautifully.

Credit: Custom Performance Innovations (on my old car forum).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sun Visor Sticker Removal

Sun Visor Sticker Removal

Cost: FREE

DIY:

1. With a trim removal tool (or flat screwdriver with tape over the edge, works just as well), remove the plastic cover on the sun visors mount.

2. Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the two exposed screws.

3. Disconnect the wiring plug for the vanity mirrors light and remove the sun visor.

4. Using a blow dryer, heat one corner of the sticker until it's easily lifted. Continue to heat the sticker as you slowly pull up from that one corner until the sticker is entirely removed.

5. Reinstall the sun visor (attach wiring harness, tighten screws, replace cover).

Credit: Again, I got this idea from another forum and have done it on past cars, but for the OB it's me.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheap Air Freshener

Cheap Air Freshener

Cost: FREE, basically.

Very simply, a good, cheap air freshener can be a dryer sheet thrown under the driver's seat. When spent, throw it away and replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gen4 OB RSB (rear sway bar) Upgrade

Gen 4 OB RSB (rear sway bar) Upgrade

Cost: ~$100 from SubaruOnlineParts.com

This isn't the cheapest mod, but the relatively low price compared to the handling gain makes it a good value, imo.

DIY:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/238323-post1.html
The pictures in this DIY are broken (for me, at least), but the instructions are still very helpful. When the weather warms up I'll post a DIY myself with new pictures.

Credit: ProblemChild200, among others on this forum.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plugs for Roof Rail Holes

Plugs for Roof Rail Holes

When the OEM crossbars are being used, there are two exposed holes in the roof rails that kinda bothered me (it would be my luck that a bird poops in there, or they'll get a rock/dirt/debris/etc.). Especially for those that use the rails year-round, this is a cheap and easy way to cover them.

Cost: $5

DIY:

1. At your local hardware store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) buy two 1-5/8" rubber stoppers. They can usually be found in the miscellaneous drawers by all the screws, bolts, nuts and washers. They look like this:

2. Using a dremel, bandsaw, hacksaw, or really any cutting tool, trim two sides of the bottom to match the shape of the hole in the roof rails (see below). I also cut a channel in the middle of the plug around the circumference to really seat the plug in the hole. And, in the pictures you'll see I drilled a small hole directly through the middle of the plug, top to bottom. The hole is not necessary; I just used it to tie a piece of string through the plug to make sure I could pull it out while testing.

3. Test fit the plug into the hole, and adjust the bottom cuts if necessary. It should be a snug fit, but even still I was able to remove the plug by hand.

Credit: jogosub gave me the idea, but I fine-tuned it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plasti Dip the Front Grill (or rear emblems, fog light surrounds, etc.)

Plasti Dip the Front Grill (or rear emblems, fog light surrounds, etc.)

Cost: ~$13

DIY:
Pretty simple and straightforward: remove or tape off whatever you want to Plasti Dip and have at it. It's easy, cheap, AND removable (in case you don't like it, want a different color in the future or 'eff up the first time).

Some examples from other forum members:
paulfolio:

seeren:

napcop:

Credit: Multiple forum members, as per above.
Reference:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/50661-plastidip.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/54082-plastidip-black-grill.html
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please feel free to contribute your own *cheap* or *free* modifications - I'm sure there are a bunch out there that more veteran members have done or seen!

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW
97 Posts
Find out why your check engine light is coming on (OBD-II)

CHEAP ~$10-$15

Some mechanics will charge you just to run a diagnostics scan on your vehicle. If you have a smart phone, you can do this for about only $10-15. (Note: I have heard some auto part stores will let you borrow one to use in the parking lot for free). If you do work on your own vehicle or don't have a shop near you that will read the codes for free, take a look at the link below:

Automotive On-Board Diagnostics Reader for Smart Phone Users | Product Reviews & Other Useful Information

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
How about that Turbo Outback we all want?
$19.95 for the sound of one.
Fake Turbo

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

..............INSTANT HORSEPOWER

... .More effective than K&N filters or posthypnotic suggestion.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
yes, most auto parts stores will let you use a scanner for free. I bought one on amazon for $38. I don't think ive seen a '13 before with the grill painted black. it looks really good.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
How about a Soundracer in your Outback?
Synchronized V8 sound pumped through your audio system..
SoundRacer product

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Yellow Laminex tint for fogs. Ebay. Less than $10. Does about five sets so you can screw it up at least a couple of times.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
How to stop getting pissed at your floor mats.

When I bought my outback I was missing the floor mat hook to secure the mats in place so I found this mod off naisoc.

Go to the hardware store and get an appropriate sized bolt, 2 large washers, lock washer, and a wing nut.

Thread the washer onto the bolt and place the washer and bolt head into the floor carpet hole.

Thread the other washer on top of the bolt followed by the locking washer.

Place your floor mats (I have weathertechs) on top of the bolt and screw down your wing nut.

No more moving floor mats! With carpet I would probably put the second big washer and locking over it instead but the cutout of my weathertechs didn't allow this.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
spray paint is very cheap. with a bit of time you can make your outback look a little different than the other 5 outbacks sitting in the same parking lot. you can paint the grill, the fog surrounds, the "outback" door emblems, the chrome window trim. wheel paint gets more expensive, not worth it IMHO, powdercoat or forget it. caliper paint that lasts is $39. if you know what your doing it looks awesome if you take apart your headlights and paint some of that chrome housing. plastidip is a good alternative too, personally ill never buy it again, but a lot of people love it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts