Subaru Outback Forums banner

2441 - 2460 of 2467 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Touring
35 Posts
Thanks for the information. The only promotions I see are 0% financing. Is there additional current promotions? About to make an offer tomorrow at invoice (38996) - holdback (799) - $500 loyalty for touring xt. I'm not sure how to get them down below that.
I got an email from SOA after requesting a quote from a local dealer directly from SOA website. The email arrived about 24-48hrs after me visiting their website and entering my info.

Started out at $75 test drive, then it went up to $100 after a follow up email ~3 days later. The purchase offer was $500/750/1000 for the purchase of something-cheaper/Outback/Ascent.

All had a voucher code tied to my name.

I stacked (2) test drives, didn’t like the first dealers attitude toward my trade, dodged/saved $3k there, a $500 loyalty voucher and the $1000 on a 21 Ascent.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium (ice silver metallic)
62 Posts
Great advice, did not know that. Timing is bad. Wife had a mishap w/ her 2010 Outback and insurance totaled it. In search of vehicle but dealers don't know the desperate need :)
Great advice, did not know that. Timing is bad. Wife had a mishap w/ her 2010 Outback and insurance totaled it. In search of vehicle but dealers don't know the desperate need :)
Don’t tell them, they might try to use your desperate need to their advantage.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,149 Posts
I would skip the extended warranty, and always have in the past. Never regretted it.
I usually agree with you, having never purchased one. I ended up getting one under $1600 for 10/100 with $100 deductible. I’m hoping the car gives me 10-15 years of service.

This is my first turbo and there is a lot of tech in here. I know certain things get expensive fast and the tech is one of those things that is a “proprietary” Subie dealer repair.

I am looking at it this time as win-win. If I never use it, I lose about $160 per year it’s in effect. If I use it, it’ll pay for itself. If I can’t afford the $160 a year, or it was a stretch, I probably shouldn’t have bought a car that expensive.

In the end the extended warranty ends up increasing the cost of the purchase by around 4.4%. Conversely, if my transmission blows outside the 5/60, that would cost about 25% of the full retail amount.

Compounded with the fact that it’s 0% financing for 63 months, I felt it was a fair deal, even if it did make some money for the dealership.

And now, I don’t have to worry about a thing for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
8 Posts
Got an Onyx edition with package 22, body side molding, ext auto dim mirror, rear bumper cover, all-weather floor liners, and rear seat back protector
MSRP: $38.987
Invoice: $34,597
No warranty

With fees, tax, trade in, and some rebates. Got it for just under $34,500. Hopefully I did good.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,689 Posts
I usually agree with you, having never purchased one. I ended up getting one under $1600 for 10/100 with $100 deductible. I’m hoping the car gives me 10-15 years of service.

This is my first turbo and there is a lot of tech in here. I know certain things get expensive fast and the tech is one of those things that is a “proprietary” Subie dealer repair.

I am looking at it this time as win-win. If I never use it, I lose about $160 per year it’s in effect. If I use it, it’ll pay for itself. If I can’t afford the $160 a year, or it was a stretch, I probably shouldn’t have bought a car that expensive.

In the end the extended warranty ends up increasing the cost of the purchase by around 4.4%. Conversely, if my transmission blows outside the 5/60, that would cost about 25% of the full retail amount.

Compounded with the fact that it’s 0% financing for 63 months, I felt it was a fair deal, even if it did make some money for the dealership.

And now, I don’t have to worry about a thing for 10 years or 100,000 miles.
When you're quoting prices for extended warranties, the city and the dealership would be extremely useful information.

I have a 7/100k/$50 on my 2015 6-cylinder. Back then, this forum was good about posting price lists and dealerships. I'm thinking about trading mine for an XT Limited trim as mine goes off extended warranty and the extended warranty price hard to predict based on this thread.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
16 Posts
North Carolina Purchase 2 weeks ago
2021 Outback Limited XT​
Sticker MSRP $40.003 w/option 32 and Popular Pkg #2​
Added Trailer hitch installed $499​
added 7/100K extended warranty $1800​
Total out the door price paid with tax and title $39,000 (what I wrote the check for) so about $5100 discount off the total.​
Thought it was a fair price.​

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
181 Posts
Curious where you bought in NC since we talked w/ four dlrs in Triad and Triangle areas. Ended up buying from dlr in Lynchburg, VA. Only one in NC that was close in price was in Burlington.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
16 Posts
Curious where you bought in NC since we talked w/ four dlrs in Triad and Triangle areas. Ended up buying from dlr in Lynchburg, VA. Only one in NC that was close in price was in Burlington.
It was in Charlotte. While it may not have been a killer deal I felt it very fair and the sale team was very low pressure.

Oh and they tossed in the first service ... maybe that is standard not sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No, that's a very good deal. I didn't have as much luck in NC. I live on the border so I sent my build out to four in NC and three in VA. The dlrs in Triangle area must have thought their Outbacks smelled better because they didn't offer much off the MSRP.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
16 Posts
No, that's a very good deal. I didn't have as much luck in NC. I live on the border so I sent my build out to four in NC and three in VA. The dlrs in Triangle area must have thought their Outbacks smelled better because they didn't offer much off the MSRP.
WOW... that is surprising. I will say that I bought ours on the day before New Year's Eve nearly the last selling day of the year and fortunately it was a nasty rainy day when not a lot of folks were out buying cars. So far we are very happy with our purchase.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very close to the best day of the yr to buy a car. I'll be happier w/ ours once we can get out and start going places again. Lining up trips already.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I was at the dealership for an oil change yesterday, and I figured I would discuss an extended warranty while I was waiting. I’m already at 32,500 miles and climbing fast. I talked to the finance guy for a while and he wrote down some numbers on a brochure. I told him I would think about it and get back to him. I’m kind of on the fence about it anyway. When I got home and looked closer at the brochure, I noticed it’s not the Subaru extended warranty, it’s from Zurich(comprehensive plan). The two potential options he wrote down were both $100 deductible. One was 6yr/125k for $2,200, and one was 4yr/100k for $1,771. I’m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I’m thinking I should call him back and see if there are any Subaru extended warranties available.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Personally, I would not want anything that wasn’t a SAS Gold Plan. That gives me the flexibility to go to any Subaru Service department and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
16 Posts
So I was at the dealership for an oil change yesterday, and I figured I would discuss an extended warranty while I was waiting. I’m already at 32,500 miles and climbing fast. I talked to the finance guy for a while and he wrote down some numbers on a brochure. I told him I would think about it and get back to him. I’m kind of on the fence about it anyway. When I got home and looked closer at the brochure, I noticed it’s not the Subaru extended warranty, it’s from Zurich(comprehensive plan). The two potential options he wrote down were both $100 deductible. One was 6yr/125k for $2,200, and one was 4yr/100k for $1,771. I’m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I’m thinking I should call him back and see if there are any Subaru extended warranties available.
I am familiar with Zurich extended warranties for motorcycles as BMW does not offer their own extended warranties for motorcycles. The 3 most common providers are Zurich, Pinnacle and RPM1 (which just changed names). I have purchased all 3 over the past 20 years and all have worked well for me. While I would always prefer an extended warranty through the manufacturer I would not have concerns about purchasing a Zurich warranty. While the cost is a bit higher than what you might pay when buying the vehicle the prices are usually more the longer you own the vechiel and the more miles you have on it. But with the cost or repairs I suspect $2200 is not that bad. A buddy just paid $6000 to replace the CVT on his Forester with about 80,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I hope that it wasn’t one of those Foresters covered by the extended warranty to 10/100 complimentary, otherwise he or she should contact SoA for reimbursement and the dealer should be educated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am familiar with Zurich extended warranties for motorcycles as BMW does not offer their own extended warranties for motorcycles. The 3 most common providers are Zurich, Pinnacle and RPM1 (which just changed names). I have purchased all 3 over the past 20 years and all have worked well for me. While I would always prefer an extended warranty through the manufacturer I would not have concerns about purchasing a Zurich warranty. While the cost is a bit higher than what you might pay when buying the vehicle the prices are usually more the longer you own the vechiel and the more miles you have on it. But with the cost or repairs I suspect $2200 is not that bad. A buddy just paid $6000 to replace the CVT on his Forester with about 80,000 miles on it.
Yeah, one repair like the head unit for example, would make and extended warranty worth it. I was just surprised that the Subaru dealership was trying to sell me something other than a Subaru warranty, even though my car is still eligible for a Subaru warranty.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
That’s kind of where I was going as well. I hope I never need to use the coverage, but for the aggregate of $160 per year over my coverage, it’s worth it to me. And even if something costs like $1000 to fix after that, it is still less money than a new $40,000 car by the time taxes and fees are factored.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Future Subaru Outback owner in Arizona

Very encouraged by the documented details of deals and rationalizations on this thread- had to join!
I'm considering the 2021 Outback and looking forward to AWD access to hikes and spots we enjoy in the Western US.

After ingesting the bizarre models and options in the lineup, we're leaning towards a Touring XT or perhaps a different model but want the Turbo option for power when needed. Better to have it when you need it IMO.

Because of Turbo, CVT and all the tech I would consider a Subaru based extended warranty as well as I can see keeping this one for up to 10 yrs.

Ready to move forward at any time. I like seeing posts showing 12-15% down from MSRP (not a widely popular discount among sales people). Completely fine with a factory order too, again we aren't in any kind of dire gotta have it situations and not really interested in getting caught up in any allocation /available inventory games either. I did see some news about Subaru being caught up with Ford and others in a computer-chip shortage stating that they will reduce production in their Indiana plant as well as Japan. Again- time is not a high priority for us, value, safety, reliability our my top criteria.

AZ or SW region experiences - I'd like to hear from any recent experiences and completely OK with an out of market purchase if necessary, we can make a fun trip out of anything like that if transport/shipping isn't practical.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Welcome. From what I’ve heard, Heuberger in Colorado is the highest volume dealer in the US. That may enable them to make certain discounts or concessions that smaller volume dealers might not be able to.

Since you suggested you aren’t opposed to a road trip, flying to Colorado would provide you a nice opportunity to take a long ride back. Or, use their quote to leverage a better deal at your local market; you can also consider the Costco buying service if you are a member.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome. I joined here a month before I bought. Best research money can't buy. I know it helped persuade us but in all fairness I joined two other car make forums as well as the other I already own. Info here is invaluable. You'll know more than the salesperson when you go into the dealership. Remember if you were unable to buy in December than the next best time to negotiate is the last day of any month. They want to make those quotas and you will get a better deal. I also bought the Touring XT and love it. Good luck.

2441 - 2460 of 2467 Posts