Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

2801 - 2820 of 2829 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh Bearded One, did you have to go into finance before you could start talking about the extended warranty or did they give you pricing before you had to go that far?
Finance office is where that was offered. I have to figure out what happened they sent me paper work that states it’s a 10yr 100k warranty. I’ll drive 120k before 5 years no doubt. So I’ve been in contact over that - hope to resolve.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I put a deposit down with Grand guys yesterday. The price was lower than my "goal price" and did not even negotiate after receiving the email offer. Super easy to deal with and painless. They did not have the color I wanted in stock, but were confident that they could trade with a neighboring dealer and get in within 2-3 days. Limited with Option 31 (base).

YOUR SUBARU: 2021 Subaru Outback Limited
PACKAGE:Standard Limited Model
TRANSMISSION: CVT Automatic
FACTORY INSTALLED ACCESSORIES:
LED Upgrade - Dome Light
Rear Seatback Protector
All-Weather Floor Liners
Rear Bumper Cover
Splash Guards
Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light

MSRP: $35,524
Invoice: $33,070

Your GRAND SUBARU Price: $30,226

Your Guaranteed Savings: $5,298

Destination and Delivery is included!
Only Available Until 04/30/2021!
That is an excellent deal!

Does ANYONE know of any Subaru dealer in the southeastern U.S. (especially Florida/Georgia/Alabama) that gives any good deals like the above?

The very best I've seen is approx 6.5% off MSRP, and that doesn't necessarily guarantee no BS dealer fees, add-on garbage & stuff at closing. Looking to make a decent deal on a Limited XT or Touring XT.

·
Registered
251 Posts
yeah it does seem real, Ramsey Subaru in NJ is now at list and they were very forum friendly. He said they are going to be limited to 40 outbacks a month and they normally sell 200+/month. Going to seriously deal with Grand in IL as they are dealing now. I might sell my Explorer to Carvaana instead of trading it in.
Depending upon the condition of your Explorer, you may be better off talking to WeBuyAnyCar.com. I did very well selling my 2003 Toyota Camry two years ago with them, and they weren't hammering away at me to buy one of their cars - they didn't have any to sell!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’ve seen this in my hobby, PC gaming, once the shortage starts when it ends seems to be further and further down the road.
<SNIP>
You are definitely on target with this statement.

I wanted to upgrade my son's PC video card: he had put together $500 for a nice gaming card, and the recent going rate was $500 - 600.

The street value for it is now almost $2000 new, and this trend has spread across all top PC gaming video cards.

Mucho ouch!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't speak from personal experience, only from observation since I was just there an hour ago getting some service on my '16. I'm from Ohio, but am in Tampa Bay area for a couple months.

I was just up at Fitzgerald Subaru in Clearwater. This '21 OB Limited XT which has an MSRP of $40,024 and an invoice of $37,135, they are offering at their "Transparent Up Front, No Haggle FitzWay Low Price" of $36,242 which is less than their invoice - holdback. It's 2.4% under invoice and 9.45% off MSRP. That being said, I just got quoted a '21 LTD XT with an MSRP of $39,924 a purchase price of $34,500 which is 6.93% under invoice.

So that Fitz price is decent, but there's clearly more chicken on that bone if you want to work on it. And again, I can't speak to how easy, sleazy, good, or bad they are do buy a car from. I'm just telling you what I saw when I was there.
Thanks for the feedback - I'd just posted an inquiry for good deals a few minutes ago, went back to browse this thread again, and found your response.

From what I've seen around the Land of the Mouse, anything between 9 to 10% off MSRP isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Today I went to Gerald Subaru of Naperville (chicago dealership). Purchased a blue 2021 Outback Touring XT

MSRP: $42166
Sale Price: $36248

I did end up getting 3yrs remote start on my phone for $80

I also splurged and got the 8yr/120k Subaru extended warranty. It was $2349.

Overall I’m very happy. No hassle, worked out great.

Tried out Fry the Coop - will go there again.
Nice looking ride!!

So - what do you think of it so far? This is one of the models & color the wife & I are looking to buy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice looking ride!!

So - what do you think of it so far? This is one of the models & color the wife & I are looking to buy.
Love the power. Enjoy the screen. The leather is a nice plus. Remote start from my phone has come in handy a few times already. The ride is smoother than my wife’s ‘19 Limited.

Things I thought I would mind but so far don’t. The auto start/stop isn’t a problem like I thought. The nanny cam is there, but it doesn’t bother me - someone posted “turn the radio up” and I agree.

1 thing I didn’t expect. The overall storage is more scarce. We drove my wife’s outback for a weekend at the in-laws. Immediately noticed how they got rid of storage space. I’m a bit shocked that they would do that.

Beyond that, I would still buy. Happy to be in an Outback.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone recent purchases go for the added security maintenance plan, does anyone know if the quoted cost on the 3 year/36k mile maintenance is negotiable. I was told today by a finance person, that specific cost is a set cost that can't be changed ~$850, he did not specify that when quoting the obviously marked up range of what a Gold Plus extended warranty would cost so I know I will come way down on that but was surprised sorta to hear the maintenance was a set cost, then again I could understand that as its calculated set services that would be done so Subaru kinda has a magic number for it.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT - Ice Silver
261 Posts
Anyone recent purchases go for the added security maintenance plan, does anyone know if the quoted cost on the 3 year/36k mile maintenance is negotiable. I was told today by a finance person, that specific cost is a set cost that can't be changed ~$850, he did not specify that when quoting the obviously marked up range of what a Gold Plus extended warranty would cost so I know I will come way down on that but was surprised sorta to hear the maintenance was a set cost, then again I could understand that as its calculated set services that would be done so Subaru kinda has a magic number for it.
To the best of my understanding, maintenance plan is 100% a dealer add on and not part of any official Subaru plan. They probably advertise it, but with the disclaimer, “see local dealer for details and pricing”. For example, my local dealer advertises it on their dealership finance page for like $995. It’s essentially 5 minor service visits (6, 12, 18, 24, & 36k) and 1 major service at 30k. I sat down and figured it out earlier today. My local dealer charges $85 for minor service intervals and $835 for the 60k service. Big difference between 30 & 60k service is they replace the plugs on the 60k. So the 30k obviously costs less than the 60k. If I estimate $500 for the 30k, my dealership is making $75 more than RETAIL charges. And retail is obviously more than their expense.
I would call shenanigans on the maintenance cost comment. But it’s easily verifiable.

They also list their retail cost for a service contract. These are Gold Plus plans and they don’t list the deductible for them.
5/60k $2080
6/60k $2200
7/70k $2345
6/80k $2335
8/80k $2420
5/100k $2470
6/100k $2560
7/100k $2700
Keep in mind that you have the 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty. And you can buy an extended warranty from just about any dealer at any time within that time period. On my original 2010 OB, I ended up buying it from a guy in Massachusetts. I’m in Ohio.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To the best of my understanding, maintenance plan is 100% a dealer add on and not part of any official Subaru plan. They probably advertise it, but with the disclaimer, “see local dealer for details and pricing”. For example, my local dealer advertises it on their dealership finance page for like $995. It’s essentially 5 minor service visits (6, 12, 18, 24, & 36k) and 1 major service at 30k. I sat down and figured it out earlier today. My local dealer charges $85 for minor service intervals and $835 for the 60k service. Big difference between 30 & 60k service is they replace the plugs on the 60k. So the 30k obviously costs less than the 60k. If I estimate $500 for the 30k, my dealership is making $75 more than RETAIL charges. And retail is obviously more than their expense.
I would call shenanigans on the maintenance cost comment. But it’s easily verifiable.

They also list their retail cost for a service contract. These are Gold Plus plans and they don’t list the deductible for them.
5/60k $2080
6/60k $2200
7/70k $2345
6/80k $2335
8/80k $2420
5/100k $2470
6/100k $2560
7/100k $2700
Keep in mind that you have the 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty. And you can buy an extended warranty from just about any dealer at any time within that time period. On my original 2010 OB, I ended up buying it from a guy in Massachusetts. I’m in Ohio.
Yah I know the dealers love trying to mark up that Gold Plus, and Subaru does advertise the maintenance plan alongside the extended warranty as part of its "added security stuff" it also is usable nationwide at any dealer, which I like simply because I have to go to California for a summer internship, and I would rather have my costs just covered/set vs paying cali premium atop any one dealers profit margin rate on parts and labor. Appreciate the insight on everything with the intervals. I will definitely to verify any extra coverage and specify unique situations and verify it is Subaru's plan not third party shenanigans.

·
Registered
16 outback, 18 crosstrek, 05 wrangler, 81 corvette, 74 TR6
70 Posts
Well Grand emailed me back on Friday saying they are no longer selling cars outside a 200 mile radius and they are at MSRP until supply increases. They May and June are going to be very tight. I am going to keep an eye on the certified pre-owned market. Even paying a little more for the newer car than last month, the increase in trade value should more than make up for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well Grand emailed me back on Friday saying they are no longer selling cars outside a 200 mile radius and they are at MSRP until supply increases. They May and June are going to be very tight. I am going to keep an eye on the certified pre-owned market. Even paying a little more for the newer car than last month, the increase in trade value should more than make up for it.
Ugh I love how I legit need a new car and don’t have the luxury of waiting right when supply is being chocked. Stupid processor shortage.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
The semiconductor shortage is very wide-spread.The auto industry is just more visible.
I work in the embedded computing hardware industry, and the shortages include just about anything with semiconductors- LCD displays, PCAP touchscreens, all kinds of different semiconductors. Intel is running late.
Covid was/is a factor- fewer people in the facility means less capacity.
The semiconductor contract manufacturers- foundries- are swamped.
Go lookup TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc) or UMC. Leading semiconductor foundries
Started last year with the impending 5G rollout. Beforethat, sales of computing products were surging
We saw a few shortages late last year and in January 2021, then it got worse.
It could last 2-3 years. Building a new semiconductor fab facility takes time and lots of capital, the fabrication tools are capital equipment and are not off the shelf items.
Chip making is an extremely high precision process (understatement). The current Intel Core-I series 10th gen and above are based on 10nm (10 nanometer) technology.

It is pretty difficult moving projects between different facilities, the use of different fab tools would mean almost starting all over.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I found my 20 Limited, in white, black leather, exactly what I wanted, at a dealer (Honda dealer) near me with 5K miles. Someone had bought it and decided they wanted a 3 row SUV and flipped it back. It is virtually brand new, not a mark on it.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
345 Posts
We showed up to have the closest dealer appraise our car for trade-in. There sat a Outback XT Touring in the color we were after AND it was used. Got excited thinking we could get into a Touring for a deal until they came back asking OVER MSRP for a used car with a thousand miles on it. I think we're giving up and keeping the 19. Thieving bastards.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We showed up to have the closest dealer appraise our car for trade-in. There sat a Outback XT Touring in the color we were after AND it was used. Got excited thinking we could get into a Touring for a deal until they came back asking OVER MSRP for a used car with a thousand miles on it. I think we're giving up and keeping the 19. Thieving bastards.
omg why are dealers the worst

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I purchased a 2021 Outback Onyx XT from Flatirons Subaru in Boulder Colorado.

We live in Utah and the best % off MSRP we could find on any Onyx XT was 7.66% ($3,052 off) and they wouldn't budge. So I looked up train tickets to Denver and saw one for $74 dollars, and we have credit card points out the wazoo for a hotel. Started looking around the Denver area and had two dealers start their offers at 10.69% and 11% off MSRP.

In the end this is what we ended up paying:

MSRP $39,150
Invoice: $33,401
14.6% off MSRP ($5,749)
But with the D&H the savings went down to
13.15% off MSRP ($5150)

Had there been a guarantee that 0% APR financing would continue to next month and there was no chip shortage we probably would have ordered a vehicle with a lower MSRP to start with, but we could see what was coming and decided this was the best deal we were going to get for a while.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For my OB Limited in Denver - was able to get 14% off MSRP and $1950 for a gold 8/100/100 - When I got the finance they added all sorts of stuff which was promptly removed expect for some prepaid maintenance I opted for (it was a good price).

If you have a trade don't throw that until they agree to your %off MSRP AND the warranty - then put that in. Check KBB before you trade so you know the dealer selling price. If you want to haggle over that just sell it on facebook market place..
Hey also interested in the prepaid maintenance and was curious what they quoted for that and the length of coverage. My local dealer has said it would be $860 for the 3yesr /36k coverage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey all!
I hope to join subie nation soon. What did you all base for the base model OTD, if you don't mind me asking please and thank you.

Doe $26,600 seem decent? Thanks!
Seems good, from what I can see a good deal basically gets someone out door right around that msrp cost after taxes and that stuff.

2801 - 2820 of 2829 Posts