Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1957 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Arizona. I guess there are regional differences, or maybe even differences by dealer. But I'm not sure what you are showing with that attached picture. I can get all that info on the Costco site as well, but not info about the Costco pricing (which comes from a dealer after they are contacted via Costco).
Oh, I thought Costco wouldn't even show you the info. Now it makes sense.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
355 Posts
Arizona. I guess there are regional differences, or maybe even differences by dealer. But I'm not sure what you are showing with that attached picture. I can get all that info on the Costco site as well, but not info about the Costco pricing (which comes from a dealer after they are contacted via Costco).
I'm in AZ as well, our Costco's don't always have the same agreements due to lack of cooperation with local dealerships. AZ is a bad state for getting good deals on Subaru. The best strategy here is to try and make a deal with an AZ dealership outside of your area. Tell them what you want and that you live in another area, and as such have no intention of visiting the dealership. Give that a try. Or try Costco again in a month or so, maybe by then they will have come to an agreement with a dealership. You can also order out of a dealership in Denver and drive it home.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
20 Posts
Hmmmm. I tried getting Costco pricing and was told by the local dealer that there is no Costco pricing on the 2020 yet and Costco website says the same. How were you able to do this? Maybe there are regional differences?
I went through the site, and selected a 2019. Once they had my info, they sent me a listing for a 3.6 touring.

Then, I replied back and told him what I was actually looking for and asked when preorders would start.
He said they already started, and I asked what the Costco discount would get me. 2 days later after figuring out pricing and talking about additional potential discounts, I went in and had a talk with him. Piece of cake-- he had a price sheet that outlined everything including all accessories/options.

Best bet is to reach out through email/phone directly to the Costco dealership in your area. The 2020's weren't on the Costco site at the time, but he still had the info to order.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
410 Posts
I went through the site, and selected a 2019. Once they had my info, they sent me a listing for a 3.6 touring.

Then, I replied back and told him what I was actually looking for and asked when preorders would start.
He said they already started, and I asked what the Costco discount would get me. 2 days later after figuring out pricing and talking about additional potential discounts, I went in and had a talk with him. Piece of cake-- he had a price sheet that outlined everything including all accessories/options.

Best bet is to reach out through email/phone directly to the Costco dealership in your area. The 2020's weren't on the Costco site at the time, but he still had the info to order.
Thanks for the clarification. Funny though, I did exactly what you did, ask first about 2019, got a quote by email, then responded to him asking about 2020. He responded there was no costco pricing on the 2020s at this time. So I'm thinking the Costco pre-negotiated price might not have happened in every region of the country. Or maybe your dealer just quoted you a deal, not the official Costco price. I dunno.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best strategy here is to try and make a deal with an AZ dealership outside of your area. Tell them what you want and that you live in another area, and as such have no intention of visiting the dealership.
I’m also in AZ and used the strategy mentioned to get the best deal. I would love to buy from my local dealer, but maybe it’s just me, the other dealers try harder.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’m also in AZ and used the strategy mentioned to get the best deal. I would love to buy from my local dealer, but maybe it’s just me, the other dealers try harder.
May I ask what dealer you eventually went with and the salesperson? This might be helpful to others in Arizona having a hard time purchasing at a fair price. As an aside, I purchased out of state for a good price, BUT there were still trials and tribulations with that purchase - so more of a wash than a gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
May I ask what dealer you eventually went with and the salesperson? This might be helpful to others in Arizona having a hard time purchasing at a fair price. As an aside, I purchased out of state for a good price, BUT there were still trials and tribulations with that purchase - so more of a wash than a gain.
I purchased my first Subaru from Subaru Superstore in Chandler in 2015 (I don’t recall the salesperson - I contacted the sales team via e-mail).

Pricing the 2020 Outback has been challenging which is why I’m here. Ironically Chandler nor its sister dealer in Surprise have replied to my e-mails.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in AZ as well, our Costco's don't always have the same agreements due to lack of cooperation with local dealerships. AZ is a bad state for getting good deals on Subaru. The best strategy here is to try and make a deal with an AZ dealership outside of your area. Tell them what you want and that you live in another area, and as such have no intention of visiting the dealership. Give that a try. Or try Costco again in a month or so, maybe by then they will have come to an agreement with a dealership. You can also order out of a dealership in Denver and drive it home.
What was the pricing? Invoice pricing or below invoice? Ive read when using Costco Auto to add accessories individually instead of popular packages would save money.

Leave No Trace VIP pricing is 2% below invoice. Costco isn’t listing accessory pricing yet so can’t tell what the better purchasing process would be.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I purchased my first Subaru from Subaru Superstore in Chandler in 2015 (I don’t recall the salesperson - I contacted the sales team via e-mail).

Pricing the 2020 Outback has been challenging which is why I’m here. Ironically Chandler nor its sister dealer in Surprise have replied to my e-mails.
From my experience, while they are the newest Subaru dealerships and the largest in the Vally, they are not very buyer friendly or easy to deal with (in my opinion). They will not negotiate and will not deal. Been there 3 times (Chandler). Maybe if you are from out of town, then they engage. My closest dealership is AutoNation, and where I get my Outback serviced. Give them a try. Peoria, is worth a try, though I ave not had luck with them in the past. The Subaru on Camelback is just a waste of time (in person). I wouldn't bother. Just games. And they will keep calling you afterward - even using different people (all with a "manager" title), but they won't make a deal. I guess all are worth emailing. I think I got Closest to a deal with Subaru in Tuscon. Ask (always) for the "internet manager", it automatically denotes, if they're smart, that you are in a different category of purchasers.

·
Registered
2016 Outback
92 Posts
2020 Outback Touring XT

Black Paint & Black Interior Trim (w/ the brown napa leather)

Popular Package #2

Trailer Hitch

Being quoted $39,400 via Costco pricing.

Dealer is about 2.5 hour drive from my home. I have access to IMBA VIP as well, but I’m not a fan of my more local dealer (who is still an hour from my home), and the Costco Dealer seemed on the ball and had their act together.

Does this seem about as good as one can expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
410 Posts
2020 Outback Touring XT

Black Paint & Black Interior Trim (w/ the brown napa leather)

Popular Package #2

Trailer Hitch

Being quoted $39,400 via Costco pricing.

Dealer is about 2.5 hour drive from my home. I have access to IMBA VIP as well, but I’m not a fan of my more local dealer (who is still an hour from my home), and the Costco Dealer seemed on the ball and had their act together.

Does this seem about as good as one can expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's unclear what the $39,400 figure is referring to. Was that the sale price, or was that the out the door price (which would include all taxes, tags, fees, etc).

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
594 Posts
It's unclear what the $39,400 figure is referring to. Was that the sale price, or was that the out the door price (which would include all taxes, tags, fees, etc).
When discussing car prices online, I find it more useful to mention sales price since "OTD" price makes it hard to compare apples to apples.

Reactions: Mom2N3

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
410 Posts
When discussing car prices online, I find it more useful to mention sales price since "OTD" price makes it hard to compare apples to apples.
I agree. Of course, ideally, it's most helpful if people would give sales price, OTD price, and whether it was cash or finance (which can sometimes influence the sales price).

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
410 Posts
Also, what is popular package #2? I see no reference to it, and I wouldn't think the Touring comes with any optional packages since the Touring already has all the things.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm only showing this as an option on the non-XT Touring, but here goes:
POPULAR PACKAGE #2
-inc: Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror w/Approach Light Part number J201SAN000, Splash Guards Part number J101SAN100, Dome Light LED Upgrade Part number H461SFL110, All-Weather Floor Liners Part number J501SAN100, Rear Seat Back Protector Part number J501SAN220, Rear Bumper Cover Part number E771SAN100
Code: OA2

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
594 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Costco prices are just the price of the car itself. Not including Tax, title, registration, doc fee, etc.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
410 Posts
Costco prices are just the price of the car itself. Not including Tax, title, registration, doc fee, etc.
Right. And includes the destination fee. But you should end up getting a quote from a Costco affiliated dealer who will include any other fees and give you an OTD price as well (at least that's how it worked for me).

21 - 40 of 1957 Posts