Subaru Outback Forums banner

1961 - 1980 of 1993 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
@badger01 and @Hokie99 where are you finding these deals?
I’m in Florida about to pull the trigger on an Onyx with package #2 for $34,595 and RF upgrade for an additional $711.95(dealer installed!) Total before tax, fees, etc is $35,306.95
Sorry for the late reply I see you bought one. I hope you made the right deal for you. I haven’t been on the site in awhile. Mine was purchased in Winchester VA. Good folks as far as dealerships go.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Green
3 Posts
[QUOTE="chvvkumar, post: 5864205, member: 447234"
Autumn Green Limited XT
$39,901 MSRP
$35,000 Paid wo Tax and Fees
$700 for installation of tow hitch
0% APR for 63 months
Chicago Area

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone Canadians here? I'm close to making an offer on a XT LTD and trying to figure what to offer. Below is the MSRP and Invoice in Canadian dollars

2020 Subaru Outback 2.4 Ltd XT
Base MSRP: $41,795
Invoice Price: $37,824

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
35 Posts
Hi All,

Purchased a Touring XT at the end of May but did not get the warranty (was unfamiliar with the dealer vs. Subaru Gold Plus options at the time).

Am planning on purchasing the additional (added on to the 3 years / 36k miles), Subaru Gold Plus Warranty for +7 years / 70k miles with $0 deductible.

Recently learned that I have to purchase this in-state (CA) and can't buy it from Planet Subaru. The dealership I purchased it from and the two around me are asking $2500+ =/.

Any recommendations from CA dealers?
As reference I bought the Gold plus for 10 years 100k miles with 0 deductible for $2000 in Texas.
There was a post with reference prices several pages back, a fair price for that warranty was about 1950 if I remember right, so what I did was tell the dealer that if they could sell it to me for 2k, I would take it, and otherwise I would not, simple as that. I would give it a shot and tell them right away what price you would but it for.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
10 Posts
2020 Outback Onyx XT (in black)
MSRP = $39,158
TruePrice = $36,724 (before taxes + fees)
Financed for 36 months (hate having debt)

Zero haggling, turned down extended warranty (only thing pushed on me by finance office), got the exact make/model/color/trim I wanted. Dealer even drove back my XT to my house. Car has been a dream!

·
Registered
9 Posts
five years ago I set out to get invoice pricing (via aspca vip program) for our forester but at the time found dealers willing to sell well under invoice. reading recent posts, seems like the vip program is the way to go in this market. I'm a diligent shopper, will post updates if we decide on outback over forester.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll play!

2020 Outback Touring XT in Crystal Black/Java Brown Nappa Leather.

Popular Package # 2
Footwell Illumination Kit

MSRP: $41,792 (including $1010 destination).

I like to negotiate on an "out the door, on the road" price that includes all taxes, title, tags, fees. I'm not interested in negotiating the never-ending variety of fees dealers can invent and it just makes price comparisons more difficult for me. Frankly, I don't care how the dealer/state allocate what I pay; I just want to know what I'm paying in total.

So, I called several dealers with similarly equipped Touring XTs (the only difference was one had the wireless charger) and made the same offer to each: Out the door and on the road for $18K plus my 2017 Audi A4 Premium with 42,569 miles. (The Audi I was trading in wasn't totally cosmetically clean, having had a rear quarter panel replaced one week into ownership when an idiot banged into it pulling into the parking space next to mine; it also had a couple of small dents on each rear pillar caused by the idiot owner (me) when car topping my canoe. But the Audi was otherwise in good cosmetic condition and mechanically it was perfect.) I had four separate valuations/offers on the Audi: $15,500 from CarMax, $17,700 from my Audi dealer, $18,500 from Subaru dealer #1 and $19,500 from Subaru dealer #2, all of whom are in Maryland.

To make the deal happen, the dealer I bought from (Subaru dealer #3 in Maryland) pegged the trade in value at a whopping $21,500 -- likely inflating the trade value in order to get the sales tax down to make the all-in deal happen at $18K plus the trade.

Anyhow the break down the dealer creatively backed into after bumped elbows in lieu of a handshake was:

Net Price: $37,662
Trade Allowance: $21,500
Trade Difference: $16,162
Processing Fee $500
Tax $999.72
Non Tax Fees $331
Net Price $17,992.72

Those paying attention will note the dealer wasn't quite clever enough to back exactly into the $18K plus trade-in that was my offer, so I ended up paying $7.28 less than what I offered.

The $17,992.72 balance was financed at 0% for 60 months with no payment for 90 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am a new owner of Outback. This is my first post, and thanks for all the info in this forum. Really helpful!

2020 Outback limited
MSRP $35,554
Sale price $29,697 (before tax + fees)

This is the price I quote from a dealer in Chicago (without special financing promotion), they give much better price than my local dealers. Fortunately I live not too far away.
I purchased the extended warranty from another dealer online with $1445 for 8 year/80k miles/0 deductible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[QUOTE="chvvkumar, post: 5864205, member: 447234"
Autumn Green Limited XT
$39,901 MSRP
$35,000 Paid wo Tax and Fees
$700 for installation of tow hitch
0% APR for 63 months
Chicago Area
that would be amazing for me here in southern california. I'm looking at the same exact color and trim. only one dealer has it, and they're about 2 hours away from me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone purchased a limited xt in southern california recently? I found one i want but they quoted me 42kish out the door, i definitely will not pay that! Just trying to see if can get it 35k plus taxes and fees

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
533 Posts

Pent-up demand from coronavirus lockdowns has brought car and truck buyers back to the market, but once there, they may see little wiggle room on price. With limited inventory, dealers are often taking top dollar for the vehicles they do have.

For several weeks, the average industry gross, or the gross profit dealers get on new-vehicle sales, has been climbing rapidly. It stood at $1,028 for the week ending July 12, compared with just $404 a year earlier, according to J.D. Power. And it's up from $353 for the week ending April 19, when the industry was in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak.

"It is a very imperfect analogy that new cars in July are as scarce as toilet paper was in April in grocery stores," said Tyson Jominy, vice president of data and analytics at J.D. Power. As a result, average grosses and average selling prices are trending up since the height of the coronavirus-shutdown period — at a time of year when they would normally be trending down, Jominy said.

For the week ending July 12, the average vehicle sales price as a percent of sticker price was 95.8 percent, compared with 93.5 percent a year earlier and 93.2 percent for the week ending April 19. When automaker incentives were included, the figure was at 87.7 percent vs. 85.4 percent a year earlier. It's also up from a trough the week ending April 19, when it was just 83 percent.

"If you're not confident that there's going to be another vehicle coming anytime soon to replace the one that you sell, you hold for gross," Jominy said. While pickups and SUVs are notably in high demand, grosses have been up across all segments, he said.

AutoNation Inc., releasing its second-quarter results last week, said same-store gross profit per new vehicle jumped 22 percent from a year earlier to $2,194, driven by inventory shortages. Same-store gross profit per used vehicle rose 23 percent to $1,801. At the end of the second quarter, the nation's largest new-vehicle retailer said, new-vehicle inventory was down 41 percent, or by 26,400 vehicles, from the same time in 2019. AutoNation's used-vehicle inventory also is tight, as demand outpaces supply.

It's very reminiscent of 2011, when the Japanese factories closed due to that horrific tsunami," CEO Mike Jackson told analysts in an earnings call when asked about supply constraints and higher gross profits. At that time, the company saw no reason to rush cars and trucks out the door. "We just adjusted our prices and felt that we would get a higher yield ... and that's exactly how it played out," Jackson said.
The same is happening with used car prices.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
344 Posts
prices have gone up from 4 mo ago, is there really that short of supply?
For giggles I pulled up inventory for local Subaru dealer. Says they have 186 Outbacks in stock. But if you start looking almost all of them say "In transit" so my guess is actual iron on the lot to sell there probably isn't much there. But I'm not gonna go over and look either :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I got the Limited XT With Pkg # 2
MSRP - 39,602
I paid 34,534 - I used the Costco Auto Program
Tax, tag and license - was an additional $2,900.00

So for the car I paid 37,434.... Then there was the other stuff I bought that I shouldn't have... but I cancelled 2 of them.. They were a little perturbed when I asked them to sign, date and return the letter initiating cancellation... I'm not playing that game of "we didn't get your cancellation in time"

But other than that I think I did okay.. The costco program seems like it is worth it.. Plus I got a coupon for 50% off accessories, up to $200.00 - I just have no idea what to buy, since they don't have kayak racks for it for some reason.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So I got the Limited XT With Pkg # 2
MSRP - 39,602
I paid 34,534 - I used the Costco Auto Program
Tax, tag and license - was an additional $2,900.00

So for the car I paid 37,434.... Then there was the other stuff I bought that I shouldn't have... but I cancelled 2 of them.. They were a little perturbed when I asked them to sign, date and return the letter initiating cancellation... I'm not playing that game of "we didn't get your cancellation in time"

But other than that I think I did okay.. The costco program seems like it is worth it.. Plus I got a coupon for 50% off accessories, up to $200.00 - I just have no idea what to buy, since they don't have kayak racks for it for some reason.
Did you have any difficulty finding a dealer willing to honor the Costco deal? Some people had been reporting that.

As far as what to buy with that discount, there are a few threads here raising that question, and also I remember one where people discussed what accessories/options they purchased. There are some good ideas there.

I have a $200 parts credit, and so far the only thing I've come up with are the shades for the rear passenger side windows. That's not even $100 though. After that, I'm still shopping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did not have any trouble, I submitted it on the costco site, they told me which dealerships in the area where in the program, it was only one. Then about 15 minutes later, the dealership sales guy emailed me a list of the cars, with the msrp, and the costco price.. Met him the next day, test drove a few and made a no hassle deal. Till I got to the finance guy, at which time my son texted us to tell us our basement was flooding, so I rushed and was distracted... But the car price and deal was all good, I was happy...

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Green
3 Posts
that would be amazing for me here in southern california. I'm looking at the same exact color and trim. only one dealer has it, and they're about 2 hours away from me.
My cousin said he had searched October 2019 and reached out to a few dealerships. Come January 2020 they made him an offer 13% off MSRP. Maybe wait it out if you are not in a hurry to buy? Buying in the Chicago area is helpful since there are so many dealers here competing for your business. Good luck!

1961 - 1980 of 1993 Posts