Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep.

Buy it ... before you can buy it. Sort Of, at least my stuff will be ready. My guys at Mike Shaw saw me crawling under the Ascent in the Showroom earlier this week. I was picking up a CVT mount to ship out with an insert. I was asked on the DL "What parts are you interested in for the Ascent, they are becoming available now."

Oh ... "Front and rear sway bar bushings and the CVT mount, Please."

I should see the bushings tomorrow, the CVT mount won't be in until next week.

Unlike Mr. Musk and Subaru, tdck will NOT be taking any pre-orders. You will have to wait until you have your car coming in. But, I'll be ready.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,438 Posts

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
When will you start taking orders for silicone truck nuts? JK great on you for being proactive and getting ready for the new market!

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When will you start taking orders for silicone truck nuts? JK great on you for being proactive and getting ready for the new market!
I can copy just about anything with a the "male" model/piece as a start. Just like the "clone your bone" kit.

Are you offering up your nuptuals? I can send you a "rubber" kit.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,438 Posts

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I can copy just about anything with a the "male" model/piece as a start. Just like the "clone your bone" kit.

Are you offering up your nuptuals? I can send you a "rubber" kit.
Hey if people are interested in hanging what equates to a pair of field mouse genitalia off their vehicle I am down.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey if people are interested in hanging what equates to a pair of field mouse genitalia off their vehicle I am down.
Hahaha, morning belly laugh.

:21:

you got a respondent there already.
Yep, going to get the typical questions. Questions I really can't answer. "How much harder are your bushings than stock?" "How much difference will adding these bushings make?" My butt dyno is mine, and it is different from yours.

I actually have come up with designs for several types of testing machines. The time involved and component costs are prohibitive. WhiteLine or Prothane don;t need to "sell" their customers on how hard or soft their poly is. People are buying better performance, that's it. Where a testing machine would relly benefit me (and others) would be to show how my materials out-perform other aftermarket materials. That would be worth the investment capital. Of course I would have to expand into an automated full time operation which would then require more capital.

I'm still not even close to ready for that. I will just continue cooking in my kitchen. Like Walter and Jessie

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As if we could stop you from making mods to Subarus!:smile2:
Imagine if I bought that 2009 Volvo XCountry I was looking back at the end of '12, instead, vs the 2006 XT which became FrankenWagon? A few Volvo geeks and me might have some added fun, instead...this.

The 6-Star market is larger me-thinks. The new Volvos are still way sexier tho.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, No product until next week.

Mike Shaw can't get me bushings or the CVT mount until sometime next week. Delays, that's R&D for ya.

I also have to say, as much as @eagleeye always tried to drive me to the LGT forum. I may have found a comfortable "captain chair" on the Ascent forum. So fa,r I am well received with intelligent questions. I am trying my best to be equally respectful.

It's interesting to me tho. The boosted "Redneck North of the Mason Dixon" (born and raised) - Now Mile High, is embracing my "inner MiniVan" with this Ascent business.

Or maybe just channeling Paul Walker.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,438 Posts
when your local Mike Shaw gets a retailable one that they put plates on for test drives you should see what its got for on road behavior.

did you sell anything to @MiddleAgeSubie for his Bo-he-mouth Tribeca?....

maybe YOU could make all tribeca people love their bloated beasts.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when your local Mike Shaw gets a retailable one that they put plates on for test drives you should see what its got for on road behavior.

did you sell anything to @MiddleAgeSubie for his Bo-he-mouth Tribeca?....

maybe YOU could make all tribeca people love their bloated beasts.
That's an Interesting perceptive.

I NEVER considered test driving. Sinse I have Zero intention of ever buying one. I wonder when Mike Shaw might have some available for some Ferris Bueller Antics.

All kidding aside. I do have a comparable experience with the last boosted family hauler Subaru made with similar displacement.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
592 Posts
Imagine if I bought that 2009 Volvo XCountry I was looking back at the end of '12, instead, vs the 2006 XT which became FrankenWagon? A few Volvo geeks and me might have some added fun, instead...this.
But you would be wearing a pocket protector and Dockers; Instead you own a Suubie and wear a beer hat and jeans.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But you would be wearing a pocket protector and Dockers; Instead you own a Suubie and wear a beer hat and jeans.
I am T-shirt and Carhartts (double knee) type guy.

When I dress up, I wear the new Carhartts and a Mechanics Shirt. (button down) (Red Cap or Dickey's) Sometimes a western snap up or if I need to be fancy...A Patagonia Plaid.

If I need to go to a 'Concourse' show with my Dad, I will wear a jacket and tie and "slacks".

I do like the fact the Red Cap and Dickey's have a slot for 1-2 writing instruments. Even if one slot is for a Surface Pro4 stylus. This redneck is connected.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the trans mount is in. The sway bar bushings are not. I'm really not all that excited about the trans insert, I don't necessarily think it will be much benefit to a new mount unless folks are towing or lifting the car. It is likely the voided area the insert takes up is the same as the Outback anyway.

No ETA on the bushing either. I did say bushing, just one. I was able to verify for sure the front and rear bushing is the same part number. That means the same diameter bar front and rear. It's probably 22mm. There is no way the reduced the front sway bar in size from the OB, which is 21mm. I would expect it to be larger. However, these bars, I expect are wider.

Also, this leads me to believe there will be zero rear sway bar upgrades available. It appears, for now, bushings will be the only way to further lock down the chassis. Time will tell I suppose once these things start hitting the road.

·
Registered
05 Outback, 15 WRX
44 Posts
Well the trans mount is in. The sway bar bushings are not. I'm really not all that excited about the trans insert, I don't necessarily think it will be much benefit to a new mount unless folks are towing or lifting the car. It is likely the voided area the insert takes up is the same as the Outback anyway.

No ETA on the bushing either. I did say bushing, just one. I was able to verify for sure the front and rear bushing is the same part number. That means the same diameter bar front and rear. It's probably 22mm. There is no way the reduced the front sway bar in size from the OB, which is 21mm. I would expect it to be larger. However, these bars, I expect are wider.

Also, this leads me to believe there will be zero rear sway bar upgrades available. It appears, for now, bushings will be the only way to further lock down the chassis. Time will tell I suppose once these things start hitting the road.
Awesome that you're getting this done. I believe the bars would be different anyways. The SGP uses a different sway bar setup. Looking at 2018 Crosstrek vs 2017. Sway bars are not interchangeable. We'll have to see what the Forester brings too.

-Do you have any knowledge on the group n transmission mount? Would you say your insert is comparable? Then yes I would think it would be a "performance" benefit.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome that you're getting this done. I believe the bars would be different anyways.

It turns out they are. The parts guys at the counter must have been incorrect. When the Ascent part page was added to my dealer website, I did my own searching. The front is a 24mm, the rear is different, but I could not verify the diameter.

The SGP uses a different sway bar setup. Looking at 2018 Crosstrek vs 2017. Sway bars are not interchangeable. We'll have to see what the Forester brings too.

I wonder what they did there? The bushings are the same. The bars are the same diameter, 24mm. It seems odd. Different bends maybe, different steel alloy? From my end they are the same.

-Do you have any knowledge on the group n transmission mount? Would you say your insert is comparable? Then yes I would think it would be a "performance" benefit.
The issue with something like the groupN hard mount is it would transfer way too many drive-line vibrations back to the cabin. I have actually made a completely solid, 85d mount for a guy over on the LGT forum with an AutoX 5EAT wagon. I think the benefit of the insert to the CVT application is helping stabilize the stock mount so it can reduce cabin NVH. There is some discussion here of what was found to work best.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/493601-considering-lift-kit-wobble.html

I should research what the STI/CVT mount is like. It's expensive though.

·
Master Caster
15,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts