Subaru Outback Forums banner

941 - 954 of 954 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
A very large angry possum I trapped from under my house, to take him away from the neighborhood.

One thing I REALLY miss with my 2013 OB, that I had on my 2003, was a way to tie the rear hatch in a down position even if not fully closed - if I had to move something that was too long for the car.
I had that great read handlebar (I loved that bar and wish they hadnt discontinued it) on the outside of the 2003 hatch, and I could tie it to the bottom door latch metal loop - so the hatch would be generally down, though not closed. My 2013 there is just nothing on the hatch door to tie to to hold it down.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
A very large angry possum I trapped from under my house, to take him away from the neighborhood.

One thing I REALLY miss with my 2013 OB, that I had on my 2003, was a way to tie the rear hatch in a down position even if not fully closed - if I had to move something that was too long for the car.
I had that great read handlebar (I loved that bar and wish they hadnt discontinued it) on the outside of the 2003 hatch, and I could tie it to the bottom door latch metal loop - so the hatch would be generally down, though not closed. My 2013 there is just nothing on the hatch door to tie to to hold it down.
A d ring/carabineer clicks into the door and makes a great solid tie down point to match the other point.

It also keeps the car from beeping or it even knowing that the hatch is open.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A very large angry possum I trapped from under my house, to take him away from the neighborhood
Sequoia 225,
If I could add about the opossum, it wont be possible to keep them all out of the area if your neighbors have outside dogs and cats. The possums like what we eat and the dogs and cats foods too.They are like us in that they like free food. People like free samples at the grocery stores. It attracts humans and other varmints to those sections.of the store. When there's leftover dog\cat food, its a platter of free samples to the local animals. But the good news is that while they are in the neighborhood,they will also eat mice, rats much better than any cats sometimes do. They also dont carry rabies.
You did right when you used a live box trap and relocated it to the largest wooded area you could find....away from roads.
Kryptek👍

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sequoia 225,
If I could add about the opossum, it wont be possible to keep them all out of the area if your neighbors have outside dogs and cats. The possums like what we eat and the dogs and cats foods too.They are like us in that they like free food. People like free samples at the grocery stores. It attracts humans and other varmints to those sections.of the store. When there's leftover dog\cat food, its a platter of free samples to the local animals. But the good news is that while they are in the neighborhood,they will also eat mice, rats much better than any cats sometimes do. They also dont carry rabies.
You did right when you used a live box trap and relocated it to the largest wooded area you could find....away from roads.
Kryptek👍
I appreciate your post. I am a full supporter (many are not) of all the wildlife we deal with here in Los Angeles (esp where I lived at the base of the foothills, coyotes through the streets, raccoons enjoying my yard, possums, and even the random bear and dear and cougar.) These animals lived here and still live here - among us, not just "in the hills nearby". I actually like trying to coexist with all these animals (even the rats), as opposed to most around here who want them shot/poisoned/trapped, etc etc, and you make the best point that poisoning a rat on your property, moving a possum, shooting coyotes on site (yes theres a call for that here in many LA neighborhoods, unbelievably), wont keep them from being around you, and eventually back.
I just wish more could educate themselves and find ways to coexist. So many here in LA are terrrified of coyotes, which are everywhere here. Meanwhile, dogs put people in the ER pretty frequently all over LA, Coyotes, never. Some cities around here are starting to push this coexist agenda, some are going the opposite route. Many wont be happy till its all concrete and the only animals around are peoples pets. My cats are always indoor, but people poison those too. Someone in LA just the other week intentionally ran over several peacocks with his truck. (peacocks run wild in many neighborhoods around the LA area)
I had a friend in fish and game who tracked the wild cats in So Cal - such sad stories from her about the horrible effects people using rat poison has on the larger wild creatures around the area.

So, that said, my possum story:
I had just bought my first house 10 years back, which had a crawl space and several openings around the foundation that were not sealed, and a family of possums living under there. The space wasnt easily accessible to a full grown man without some renovation in its current state (1925 house), nor could I really see all the space visually under the house. I let them be for a while, till one night a skunk got in a fight under there with them and literally woke us and drove us out of the house with the intense smell (I often smell skunk around - a full spray under the bedroom of an old house was an entirely different experience. haha).

So, I set to trap them, but had no way of knowing how many were under there, and so I spent weeks trying to close it off when a couple were outside. I didnt want to seal any of them under there to die. I knew there was still one or two under, so I trapped at the remaining opening, every day, till I got what I thought was the last one. My goal of taking it elsewhere was only to give me some time without these possums immediately seeking re-entry before I could properly seal up all the entry points. It was just rocks and boards for a bit. Unfortunately, after sealing it up, seeing or hearing no sign of any others, one still ended up dying under there. :( But I tried.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A d ring/carabineer clicks into the door and makes a great solid tie down point to match the other point.

It also keeps the car from beeping or it even knowing that the hatch is open.
I feel quite silly that this obvious trick wasn't obvious to me before. (We'll just keep this between us. ;);)
Seriously though,
Thanks for this great tip!!

I assume the button on the outside of the hatch will release the carabinner just like it opens the door?

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
I feel quite silly that this obvious trick wasn't obvious to me before. (We'll just keep this between us. ;);)
Seriously though,
Thanks for this great tip!!

I assume the button on the outside of the hatch will release the carabinner just like it opens the door?
Correct.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sequoia 225,

"
.... let them be for a while, till one night a skunk got in a fight under there with them and literally woke us and drove us out of the house with the intense smell (I often smell skunk around - a full spray under the bedroom of an old house was an entirely different experience. haha).
"

LOL!!! Oh no! Does it still stink?
I had No idea that LA suburbs would have so much wildlife.

Sounds like you've done your homework and know more about wildlife issues than the country boys in my neighborhood.
Here's an idea I've discovered that might be helpful if there still might be an issue.
If you still wonder if there's anything else living under there, opossums, pesky mother in law, skunk, try this trick. Since it sounds like its impossible to crawl in there with a bright light, get in as far as you can reach and toss a rag saturated with cologne. Try different scents for a couple days before sealing the passage. It might be best to seal it closed at night since they usually, but not always, hunt at night. The strong cologne will hopefully drive them out unless there's babies. Then the mother might take off and leave them in there. Although, at early ages they'll be with mom. That combined with your bait, peanut butter, banana,etc. in the cage trap just near the opening may give assurance that they are out. Also, possums, unlike coons, are typically solitary as adults. Keep an eye out for little ones and sneezing sounds though, unless of course you know you caught a male.

If you have mice, rats, moles, shrews you might want to consider which you like least/best. Possums are better mousers than about anything short of a good rat snake. For years they kept most out of my country home until two legged meter readers killed them. I'm glad you relocate them though since their biggest preditor is the car....and your neighbors.

Message me if you have any questions.

Kryptek

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sequoia 225,

"esp where I lived at the base of the foothills, coyotes through the streets, raccoons enjoying my yard, possums"

Just noticed the term "foothills". Makes me think that area hasn't been touched by the urban sprawl, but has a high population of critters. No wonder you have so much. I was reminded of this thread when I noticed the sun chokes nocked down and thinned out this morning. Suspicions were confirmed when I saw the groundhog in the alley this evening. I put a cologne sprayed rag under the storage shed. Tomorrow I'll add a new strong scent, close off two sides and set the have a heart trap. Since my car is down until parts come in (had to tie the OB in ), I cant take him out to a new country home.
Should I bury him or eat him?
Hmmm.:unsure:
Lets see.....he ate lots of my food and it didnt leave me much. I could bury it..or I could save myself a trip to the grocery store. Im from WV. Think I'll check the Appalachian cook book. :)

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Should I bury him or eat him?
There's the side of me that thinks maybe you're just kidding here.

Then there's the side of me that spent four months in northern Alabama in my younger days.

Better clear on out of there, groundhog, if you know what's good for you.

No need for a cookbook; @Brucey probably knows the recipe!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A little of both. I'm not vegetarian, but the meat I buy from tbe store is so full of hormones, antibiotics,bugs spray and weed killer. The wild game humanely harvested (no suffering), free range, healthy organic weeds and garden feed.....
About the only thing that makes me hesitate is that I probably raised its great grandfather from groundhog pups I rescued and raised 20 years ago. They took plenty of trips with me in my other subarus. Eventually, they left.
I won't cry if this one runs away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We needed to transport materials for STPR (www.stpr.org), and pickups weren't available.

Comment from our rally chairman (owns 2 Subies): "Amazing, what can fit in a Subaru."
I have had a bugeye WRX wagon for 9 years, an '03 Forester for 4 years --- and the OB for all of a month, but this is still the most "uncommon freight" I have hauled in a Subie.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome possum! Now we're talking.

We needed to transport materials for STPR, and pickups.....
"Amazing, what can fit in a Subaru."
I have had a bugeye WRX wagon for 9 years, an '03 Forester for 4 years --- and the OB for all of a month, but this is still the most "uncommon freight" I have hauled in a Subie.
Question: Would that load fit in your forester?
1 Reason that I went with OB over forester is that I often need the extra length the forester does not have, but rarely need extra verticle space foresters provide. That said, I could point to things Forester has over mine fur sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome possum! Now we're talking.

Question: Would that load fit in your forester?
1 Reason that I went with OB over forester is that I often need the extra length the forester does not have, but rarely need extra verticle space.
That particular load would NOT have fit in the Forester -- the extra length was exactly what was needed. Oh ,and I needed the height too, in this case.

941 - 954 of 954 Posts
About this Discussion
953 Replies
463 Participants
STPROutbackXT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing