MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
Awesome pic and scenery, but the question is, how cold was it ? :eek:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right about 30F or so, and dropping. It's supposed to be 13F tonight.

·
Registered
242 Posts
30F = -1 C. Too cold for me ! :D

Just to get the North Americans jealous, the temp here in Melbourne today is 31 C (88F) with 37 C (99F) predicted tomorrow ! :cool:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Losiho, winter here = summer there. We'll make fun of your temp in six months:) Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maybe I should take some pics of the OB in my driveway! I had to drive the wife's VR6 Jetta up the driveway last night. No problems with the OB, but it took a few tries to get the Jetta in the garage. And she has snow tires too!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would have liked the driveway I used to climb in Knox County, on Rabbit Ridge just east of the 36/715 split. It rose about 220 feet over about 1/2 mile. Quite a challenge when it had snow and ice on it.

The stupid owners would dig these tank-trap drainage ditches accross it, too ... made for a very bouncy ride.

That ridge is the setting for the pine-woods pics of my car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Losiho, winter here = summer there. We'll make fun of your temp in six months:) Brian
It never gets below zero here ;) The snow fields are a 3.5 hour drive in the winter :D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Losiho, never below zero? You don't know what you're missing for everyday winters here in Nebraska. Ouch, this morning it was 2 degrees F and the high was about 16 degrees F. Brian

·
Registered
242 Posts
Brian - No, Melbourne is a pretty flat city. The last time it snowed in the suburbs was 1984 ! I was only 10 years old. Even then, it was only about a centimetre (half an inch) of snow....more like powder. On a cold night in spring or winter, it can get down to zero C (32F) but not much colder. The summers are more extreme, with temps easily going over 100F in summer.

Still, as I said, the snow fields are only 3.5 hours away : http://www.mtbuller.com.au/ is one of the more popular (with great mountain biking in the summer). It's not Austria or Aspen ;) , but it usually has more than 1 metre (3.5 feet) of snow in a good season.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
bheinz57 said:
...You don't know what you're missing for everyday winters here in Nebraska...
ROTFLMFAO!!! :D

Jeez Brian, quit trying to make everyone soo jealous of Nebraska!

:21:

·
Registered
194 Posts
The_Lizard said:
It rose about 220 feet over about 1/2 mile.
Luckily mine's not that long!

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
I can't wait to go romping in the Sierra Nevadas, for now I have to just enjoy parking on the grass at different events around Tidewater area.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you driven on sand yet?

There is (or was) an off-road course you can take on Assateague Island, but you have to have a kit of gear including a jack, some boards, etc. They even have air pumps at the trailhead so you can run your tires back up to highway pressure.

I've had my 98 out on sand in a few places, and it's great. I haven't even come close to getting stuck yet, even on the softest stuff I could find.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
50 Posts
I vacation on the Outer Banks, up in Corova where the houses are beach access only. Last year someone in the house next to us had an Outback. He had no problems on the sand, even on some pretty soft stuff.

I won't be taking my Outback - as much as I like it, for runnin' up and down the beach few things beat my other 4WD

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
I have not had much of a chance to drive on the beach. I am in Hampton Roads, but haven't gone to the OuterBanks. I've driven on dunes in Oregon and Nevada and that was really fun. The sand really cleaned the tires very nice, and if there was any dirt it was gone. Of course, now with a wife and 2 kids all of my off road toys are in different hands. After retirement from the navy hopefully we can get the kids some toys to appreciate like I had.

Yeah, driving on the sand is nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts