Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you didn't know subaru is what the Japanese call the Pleiades, a star cluster in the constellation Taurus. The stars of the Pleiades are depicted on the Subaru logo.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,759 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,469 Posts
Oh it's a word alright and it has meaning.

I fired up the Google Translator and when I type in "Subaru", the Japanese translation is "スバル".

So there, we drive スバル.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,810 Posts
Yet the constellation is referred to the "Seven Sisters", not six.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited - waiting on 2020 Onyx XT
776 Posts
Fyi, Pleiades is also known as Messier #45. So on a sky chart, if you see M45, thats it.

Back in Messier's day, they were gaga over comet hunting. So with the bare eye or rudimentary scopes of the day, he listed and mapped all fuzzy objects that he could find, that were determined NOT to be comets, so that people wouldn't waste time on them to determine if they were comets, lol.

The fuzzy clouds that most closely resembled comets, but weren't, were termed nebulas. As in, nebulous things that wasted many an observing night.

Today the Messier list is the go-to list of cool things to look at. Trust me, I know. My autism spectrum kid has made it his mission to find them all.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,325 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
220 Posts
some of the myths seem to explain one of the sisters veiled herself or fell to earth after the fall of Troy. But, under very good conditions, more than 6 stars can be seen.

Years ago I was out in Canyonlands National Park in Utah. At night drove up into the park, got out and walked 5 feet from the car. Could not see the car at all. Only way we could find it was to use the remote alarm. But man did we see tons of stars and the milky way. And we saw the 7 sisters without issues. Where I live, there is too much light pollution, so you don't see much. Its basically never dark at night.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
220 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts