Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Thule Force L roof top cargo box from REI. It was on sale for $339 over black Friday. The box fits perfectly and is quite large.

The clearance for the hatch and the shark fin antenna is good and I did not have to adjust the factory crossbars to get the correct positioning.

Only drove about 10 miles on the freeway but even while the box was empty, there was not much extra wind noise to speak of (with and without the moon roof open). Too early to give an accurate mileage effect numbers though.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition XT Autumn Green Metallic
159 Posts
Do you have the moonroof air deflector on your Onyx? I’m wondering about clearance of the deflector.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have the moonroof air deflector on your Onyx? I’m wondering about clearance of the deflector.
I don't have the deflector but even with it, the clearance shouldn't be an issue. The front of the box is much farther behind the front edge of the moon roof.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good. That's also the perfect cargo box if you ever find yourself filming a sci-fi series on an outer planet:

Doesn't surprise me. The props department for the Expanse deserves props (har har) for being inventive with their creations. Take a look at this:

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My outback is being delivered early January. Could anyone tell me the rear hatch clearance length? It is measured from the center of the front crossbar to the plane where the rear hatch meets the roof when opened. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone install a Thule Force XT XL or Motion XT XL box? I'm wondering if the Motion version is as fragile as some reviewers say and if they work well with the factory rails.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
29 Posts

I used this Thule cargo box over the weekend for a trip to the MIL with twins and our dog. It performed great and held all the baby stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What model and size cargo box is that? Looks like The Thule Force XT box, but is it the Large or XL size?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What model and size cargo box is that? Looks like The Thule Force XT box, but is it the Large or XL size?
You are correct. I have the Thule Force XT Large. I have about a foot of clearance leftover on the front/back of the car so I imagine you could fit the XL on the outback. For the extra 2 cubit feet I decided to save some money and get the Large.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some might claim a loss of 2 mpg.

But using cruise control, and being in a relaxed travel mood while avoiding constant hard acceleration will equal your loss for putting on a roof rack and stuffing it full of bags.

I only put mine on the roof during ski season.
Or fishing trip.

Hard to tell, when the cargo is up, I tend to cruise at normal speed (60-65 mph)
When it's off I'm not worried about hitting 75-90 mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I’m glad to see these boxes work on the 2020 OB factory racks. I’m looking at these boxes and trying to figure out which to get based upon the interior dimensions.

Thule’s website lists the dimensions as if they are perfectly rectangular. I can see they are not. I’ve got to be able to get our dogs crate (folded up, and dog with us in the car, to be clear) into a rooftop box. It’s 30.5”W, 49”L, 2.5”H

Can someone with one of these confirm that a particular box size would work?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts