Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
437 Posts
Thanks, I am please with how it looks and the lines of the box are fairly complementary to the lines on the OB. That etrailer page was one of the ones that I looked at when researching box options and it has a lot of good info.
Did you leave the rear cross bar in the original position or move it back? We got our box yesterday! I can't wait to put it on. @swmoore

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
437 Posts

Finally got my Inno box installed. It was really easy to get up and locked into the rails. So far the little bit of driving has been zero noise. I'll do a more long distance drive tomorrow. So glad to have the extra space up there. After decades of suffering with not enough space in the back due to the dogs we will be making use of this space.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
401 Posts
My parents gifted us their Thule Weekender many moons ago and I found that it is a perfect fit on the outback :D..This is from our recent camping trip.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
817 Posts
My skybox 16 fits perfectly. It wasn’t an issue on my 18, but hadn’t put it on this one yet.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
623 Posts
can someone post a pic of the latest Subaru/Thule box. It s 65 inches long and ends in #22 (part #). Thanks.
Doing a internet search I am not getting consistent info.. Maybe some one here has one.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
623 Posts
Boy is it tough to find a Thule box in stock in my area that I don t have to pay $150 shipping on. After speaking to some places I was concerned about paying for one only to be told it s back ordered till ???. I finally took a chance and dealer ordered a Thule soa567co22 sight unseen. I know the 65 inch length is what I wanted. We ll see if it comes in when they say. Anyone got one of these that can post a pic?
20% coupon put it at $465 tax included.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
144 Posts
Boy is it tough to find a Thule box in stock in my area that I don t have to pay $150 shipping on.
I hear that. Mine arrived after ordering it three months ago. Imagine my surprise to find out that Thule lied about the dimensions and it is too short to be useable for me. Now they are expensive and backordered. Not amused.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
623 Posts
I hear that. Mine arrived after ordering it three months ago. Imagine my surprise to find out that Thule lied about the dimensions and it is too short to be useable for me. Now they are expensive and backordered. Not amused.
what was the length of what you got as to what you ordered?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
144 Posts
what was the length of what you got as to what you ordered?
I ordered the Thule Motion XT XL. According to Thule it can carry 5-7 pairs of skis, max length 200 cm. In reality, a 193 cm ski barely fits. My old box is a Spirit 1600, which I think is now evolved into the Force, and it easily carries longer items. According to Thule, they both carry 200 cm skis, but I should have noticed in the specs that the Motion XT XL is 5" shorter, and the box they market for carrying skis is the XXL with a lower profile lid.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For those with Thule boxes, how do you like the PowerClick system? Seems very simple, quick and easy. I have heard it can be brittle? When secured properly do you notice any wiggle on the box at 70mph? Does it clamp to the factory crossbars well?

About to get one gently used tomorrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No problem with the powerclip.
Easy to lock the box in place.
The box will still wobble/deform under the wind or bumps.

My main concern are the hinge at the extremities.
One broke down/rip appart after 3 openings.
Got it replaced under warranty.
But this part is badly engineered.
I dont feel it will last in the long run.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Which model box do you use? Or is this hinge the same across all models? I'm getting the Motion box in size L.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes I can measure .... but anyone know the dimension from front crossbar to rear hatch? Looking at the motion alpine which requires 55"

·
Registered
2020 ABP Touring XT
49 Posts
After a lot of research, I settled on the Thule Motion XT Alpine. My requirements were: it had to fit my 171cm skis and be "alpine" style (I wanted as low-profile as possible, wile still being able to fit boots/other gear along with the skis). I heard amazing things about Inno and how quiet they were, and also a lot of positive reviews on the forusm. I was initially looking for the Inno Wedge 624, but it wasn't going to fit my skis. The next option was the Wedge 660, but I didn't feel it'd be tall enough to fit the requirement of stuffing boots/other gear bags in the top as well. Then, the Inno Shadow 16 was a contender, but no where had it in stock, and delivery estimates were up to 2+ months, and we have some trips to the mountains we're hoping to make before Xmas, so that wasn't going to work.

So, I bit the bullet on the most expensive option - the Thule Motion XT Alpine. The final deciding factor in this was the fact it was in stock at my local Rack Attack. Bonus points that it's built amazingly well, has the Thule reputation, and definitely fits my skis. I hadn't seen any 2020 with this box, so I was a bit nervous about fit but the Rack Attack had a floor model that I was able to test fit, and it was going to work! I did have to set the lift gate memory to be stop about 1" to full open, as it did make contact with the box.

Now for the pics! Overall, I'm VERY satisfied with the look and storage capacity. Wind noise on the 30min drive home wasn't terrible. But I do have the Touring XT with insulated front windows. If you open the sunshade on the moonroof, you can definitely hear the buffeting.

Fitment detail images:

Here's where I programmed the "memory" stop - about 1/4" from making contact.

Clears the sharkfin by a 1-2":

Only overhangs the windshield gap by about 1-2" as well:

·
Registered
139 Posts
@abaumann thanks for bitting the bullet for us ... That looks awesome! I have been waiting for the Yakima CBX16 to come out but now I'm back to possible looking at these. With the hatch clearance, do you have to duck much to still get under it and not hit your head?

41 - 60 of 92 Posts