Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ABP Touring XT
49 Posts
@abaumann thanks for bitting the bullet for us ... That looks awesome! I have been waiting for the Yakima CBX16 to come out but now I'm back to possible looking at these. With the hatch clearance, do you have to duck much to still get under it and not hit your head?
i did it for the community!! That’s what I tell my fiancé at least ;)

here’s a pic with the hatch open in its memory position. It’s only maybe an inch lower, so I don’t really notice it much (I’m 5’11”)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Autumn Green
15 Posts

Yakima SkyBox 16 fits pretty well on the car. It was lightly touching the trunk when open. This was just a test fit from the day I bought it so I plan to fit it on better next time I use it.

I got it for a screaming deal ($50) on FB Marketplace as it has a little piece missing where the top part overhangs the bottom on the back corner. They duct taped the missing area and said it was still waterproof. I have the missing piece and may try to reattach if I feel that it's necessary

·
Registered
139 Posts
View attachment 495985

Yakima SkyBox 16 fits pretty well on the car. It was lightly touching the trunk when open. This was just a test fit from the day I bought it so I plan to fit it on better next time I use it.

I got it for a screaming deal ($50) on FB Marketplace as it has a little piece missing where the top part overhangs the bottom on the back corner. They duct taped the missing area and said it was still waterproof. I have the missing piece and may try to reattach if I feel that it's necessary
Thats a steal! If you have the peice mix up some epoxy. Use clear heavy packing tape on the outside to tape it in place and epoxy the inside. Any epoxy that gets through will flow against the tape and it will peel right off.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Autumn Green
15 Posts
Thats a steal! If you have the peice mix up some epoxy. Use clear heavy packing tape on the outside to tape it in place and epoxy the inside. Any epoxy that gets through will flow against the tape and it will peel right off.
Thank you! I read into it a bit before I picked it up but your advice makes it seem a little easier!

·
Registered
139 Posts
thanks for everyone in this thread (and others) for input. Finally pulled the trigger on a thule since the Yakima I was eyeing is pushed off until spring.
IMG-3511.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
10 Posts
Thule Force 625 XL fits perfectly on my 2021 OB Limited XT. Its specs are identical to the specs of the "Thule Cargo Carrier - Extended" (Subaru part # SOA567C030: 84" L x 34.5" W x 17" H). I positioned the box as far forward on the OB's factory roof rack crossbars as the box's adjustable clamps would allow, and that provided about an inch of clearance between the back of the box and the hatch when the hatch is fully open. I did not need to adjust the height of the open hatch. And, happily, I also have about an inch of clearance with the top of the box when entering my garage . . . vewy, vewy slowly the first time! Also, FWIW my Subaru dealer advises that the maximum speed I should drive with this box on the car is 85 MPH.

IMG_4865.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,928 Posts
This is a big thread, but I read through most of it. I am torn between the Thule Canyon Basket and one of the Boxes that are listed as the official OEM accessory. Are there pros and cons for both? I mean, I guess the basket would get rained on at times, but it's easier to use and impacts fuel economy when not in use?

I have only used a soft-top bag with my Outback/Forester so far, and that's kind of a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
839 Posts
Well, I'm officially on hold till the Yakima CBX 16 comes out as it has a 45" minimum clearance from middle of front bar to rear while the Motion XT L is 47". I think that will let me do what I want with an awning at rear. It's also 2" wider which is nicer to get into and 3" less tall helping with the ability to get in the garage.. First trip I really need it won't be till June or July anyway....hopefully.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got a Yakima SB 18 I found used in great shape, $300.
It’s big! Unfortunately the rear is maybe 1-1.5 inches too long and I have a manual hatch. So I put a piece of weather stripping so it doesn’t scratch the paint. Will see how it holds up 😃

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 9cuft summit racing roof cargo box in DFW. I had to drill another set of holes in the front of the box to mount it on the factory folding crossbars. The box is short enough to not have issues with the rear hatch. There is some wind noise but it’s bearable. Helped me move houses. Not much to complain about for $160 other than I should’ve gotten the bigger one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is a big thread, but I read through most of it. I am torn between the Thule Canyon Basket and one of the Boxes that are listed as the official OEM accessory. Are there pros and cons for both? I mean, I guess the basket would get rained on at times, but it's easier to use and impacts fuel economy when not in use?

I have only used a soft-top bag with my Outback/Forester so far, and that's kind of a pain to deal with.
Evaluate needs and uses.
I had a yakima basket: Used it year round but also left on year round because it was a pita to take on and off. Can toss almost anything up there from insulation bundles, lumber, genreal camp gear or skis (in ski racks mounted to the top) but need to be comfortable and confident in securing the load. Biggest con was dryness and also if stuff had to stay on the cleaner side of things. Camp gear, even wood needs to be in a bag or wrapped and skis get messy real quick depending on road conditions

I have a thule box: Will still leave it on year round mostly because storage off the vehicle is lacking. you still need to secure loads inside but if it closes its mostly good. Major pro is the dryness factor. Camp gear and skis will stay in good condition. Biggest con I see is the limitations .... If I need long lumber I am not putting it in the vehicle, taking another vehicle or hooking up the trailer.

Depending on the basket and the box, you may not acutally see that big of a hit on fuel economy from one to another and with the basket fuel economy goes does quick once you start loading it with different shape and sized items.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks, @KingBob!! ;

I am planning to use it on occasion for weekend runs to the shore. We are not skiers/snowboarders but tried and true beach bums. With the 2 kids in the back seats, there are probably going to be times where we would like extra space. I am thinking beach chairs on top. For long vacations I would like to even put bedding and such up there since they take up a lot of room. It looks like it secures with a net, but does it need bungees or anything on top of that? I mean, I could very easily fit a case of beer or three up there, but the cans would probably be small enough to fit through the webbing if I had to stop short.

I figure the basket is the easiest year round solution and easier to store since it’s so thin. But the box definitely has its benefits. How do you secure things inside the box?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks, @KingBob!! ;

I am planning to use it on occasion for weekend runs to the shore. We are not skiers/snowboarders but tried and true beach bums. With the 2 kids in the back seats, there are probably going to be times where we would like extra space. I am thinking beach chairs on top. For long vacations I would like to even put bedding and such up there since they take up a lot of room. It looks like it secures with a net, but does it need bungees or anything on top of that? I mean, I could very easily fit a case of beer or three up there, but the cans would probably be small enough to fit through the webbing if I had to stop short.

I figure the basket is the easiest year round solution and easier to store since it’s so thin. But the box definitely has its benefits. How do you secure things inside the box?
You hit the nail on the head .... bungee nets can do the job but will they hold if stopping short or while cruising at 70 on the highway? I'd end up securing most loads with rope and then pending what was up there a net.

In the box there are spots for straps or items get packed on each other to limit movement. When shut, the box is also locked ... something you can't do (easily) with the roof basket on most items.

·
Registered
2020 Black Subaru Outback Touring XT
98 Posts
I've been thinking about getting the new Thule Vector cargo box. I have the only practical car in the family to take to the mountain to ski and snowboard so I need the space but like the looks of the vector a lot more as well as the overall finish seems to be better. I'm unsure if the fitment would work, anyway someone's local store has one in stock and can test fit for me?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been thinking about getting the new Thule Vector cargo box. I have the only practical car in the family to take to the mountain to ski and snowboard so I need the space but like the looks of the vector a lot more as well as the overall finish seems to be better. I'm unsure if the fitment would work, anyway someone's local store has one in stock and can test fit for me?
Here's the Vector M for ya. The Alpine would likely be too long / need to change setting on the lift gate. With the M your corssbars stay in standard positioning, I can fully open the gate and (while its tight) still use the sunroof. For me it was one of the very few options due to the height of my garage but overall am happy with the box.

IMG-3511.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Black Subaru Outback Touring XT
98 Posts
Here's the Vector M for ya. The Alpine would likely be too long / need to change setting on the lift gate. With the M your corssbars stay in standard positioning, I can fully open the gate and (while its tight) still use the sunroof. For me it was one of the very few options due to the height of my garage but overall am happy with the box.
Thanks for posting the pictures of the box. It looks great I'll have to order one. I just wish the alpine would work easily.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures of the box. It looks great I'll have to order one. I just wish the alpine would work easily.
There's someone here with the Alpine Motion .... you could compare specs on that. I they had to stop the hatch early and depending on your height that could be okay. Where the M works, the only reason I'd say to bump up to the alpine would be ski length requirements.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Vector M looks pretty solid. So there are spots inside to secure things? I could use this with beach chairs, etc., and it's pretty easy to secure?

I am thinking of the genuine accessory: SOA567C022
although this has 4 more cubic feet for like $50 extra.: SOA567C031

Downsides of larger one? Can't open trunk all the way (would have to use memory height stop function?)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Vector M looks pretty solid. So there are spots inside to secure things? I could use this with beach chairs, etc., and it's pretty easy to secure?

I am thinking of the genuine accessory: SOA567C022
although this has 4 more cubic feet for like $50 extra.: SOA567C031

Downsides of larger one? Can't open trunk all the way (would have to use memory height stop function?)
Inside the Vector are slots for straps (included). There are 3, though the straps provided are fairly long so I'm sure you could rig up a cross system to help with different sized items. Downsides on larger are hatch adjustments (if required), clearance on garages (both home and parking structures at places you may visit), and mpg may or may not be less. If none of those are factors, I would tend to opt for the largest size possible knowing there would be that one time where I'd be kicking myself if stuff didn't fit.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts