Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I frequent the Outback forums most of the time, I figure I'd chronicle the adventures of one red 94 LSI here. SVX World Forums and SVXNetwork seemed to have moved to Facebook and that's not great for build journals.

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I get a few more, but here's the start.

1994 Brilliant Red SVX, AWD, Tan Interior

This one was bought for her heart, unfortunately, and the owner/monster was just going to scrap the rest of her! Extremely clean exterior and under chassis, intact glass, and newer tires. From what I learned, she blew a brake line which caused a long-term park. Several years later, original owners decided to sell.

The bad news is, the D/S window was slightly down all that time. The interior is COVERED in mold, mildew, and musk. No wildlife, luckily, and everything is in tact. Might try to steam and sterilize and see what can be saved. Since this was next to free, I can afford a little elbow grease.

What to do about the heart? That's where the interesting part comes-in. I've been called Dr. Frankenstein (see: my OBXT, Legacy SSRS, and essentially every other Subaru I've owned), and this one will be no exception.

Tentatively, this is my build list.

EJ255 (single AVCS)
Low mount (FA-style) header/manifold
Twin-scroll turbo (TBD)
Small AWIC
Water/Meth
4.444 Phase 2 4EAT
4.444 LSD

I've got the hardware sourced, and the rough wiring planned/mapped. It's down to a few small bits, then off to surgery.

My goal is to keep this as stock-looking as possible. No crazy gauges, no hood scoops, fender flares, etc. But this should mimic the original feel while providing an open-end for more power, better aftermarket support, and ease-of-maintenance.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,917 Posts
Reserved 2 : Reserve harder

Can the 4EAT handle that sort of power?

I guess you can look into the WRX guys to see what they make before they blow it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,418 Posts
I think they should have recast the World's End Sandwich, ...with Tina Fey, Charlize Theron, and Penelope Cruz

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,270 Posts

I guess you can look into the WRX guys to see what they make before they blow it.
they're pretty tough. they can take about 300 to the wheel before the torque converter goes. At that point in the power planning, a high lockup replacement is good, along with transcooler (though honestly, if your summers ever break 90 degrees, I say a transcooler is peace of mind in stock form....)

at 400, things start to just wear out, but I don't remember reading any one failure point in high power builds that lets go, just that the clutchpacks burn off.

If you're looking at big numbers in the future, he may wanna call LevelTen outta NJ, they've been working on the 4eat and others for at least 15 years.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EM solution?
OE, open source tuning.

The P2 4EAT is really pretty stout. For now, it'll stay near stock or Stage 1. With a good cooler and a Transgo kit, 400 WHP lasts a long time. With small(er) tires than the donor and near Gen3 OB weight, I'm not too worried about longevity. Worst case, it'll be plug-and-play replacement need be.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I'm still being a bum on uploading pictures, but there isn't much to see.

I've been cleaning/prepping the garage for SVX work, plus working on the attic remodel, and the holidays, so time has been scarce. Good news, the "Pegasus" car dollies with the ball bearing/poly wheels work well on a less-than-smooth garage surface. For $100 for 4, not a bad deal.

Does anyone have a spare/dead cluster? I will have to get creative with the instrumentation, but I have a theory. I'd like to not cut-up the original, just in case.

And there will be an assumed functional trans for grabs soon. Heavily dented pan from the P.O., but junkyard markings. Free to good home.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More update:

Test cluster is in transit (I hope..? Coming from Canada, so who knows). Unfortunately, no real work has happened either.

I did get a few other things mapped out.

Trans cooler lines (in which the SVX has an odd cut-out under the battery tray: perfect for trans lines!)
Heater hose plumbing
AWIC exchanger plumbing

And luckily, I believe the speed-sensitive steering system and factory ABS will stay and function correctly. I'm not 100% sure how the signal comes across from the phase 2 TCU, but the service manual seems to agree that the Steering Control Module sees a "0 or 5V" signal and the TCU outputs a "0 or 5V" signal from the TCU. Which makes sense it's still a sine-wave w/ 5V peak (compared to the newer digital, square-wave signals).

I will have to either run additional wires to the rear for the FPCM or repurpose some wiring to keep the donor FPCM in full control. The original SVX setup used a "two stage" controller (low voltage for low demand/low speed, high voltage for full power). The donor uses a multi-stage, PWM-controlled pump, which is ultimately controlled by the ECU. I looked into "hardwiring" the fuel pump, but with odd-ball relay setups and drawing direct power, I decided to keep it factory-esque. Besides, the ECU allows for custom PWM levels if I wanted to run the pump full-power all the time.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,917 Posts
More update:

Test cluster is in transit (I hope..? Coming from Canada, so who knows). Unfortunately, no real work has happened either.

I did get a few other things mapped out.

Trans cooler lines (in which the SVX has an odd cut-out under the battery tray: perfect for trans lines!)
Heater hose plumbing
AWIC exchanger plumbing

And luckily, I believe the speed-sensitive steering system and factory ABS will stay and function correctly. I'm not 100% sure how the signal comes across from the phase 2 TCU, but the service manual seems to agree that the Steering Control Module sees a "0 or 5V" signal and the TCU outputs a "0 or 5V" signal from the TCU. Which makes sense it's still a sine-wave w/ 5V peak (compared to the newer digital, square-wave signals).

I will have to either run additional wires to the rear for the FPCM or repurpose some wiring to keep the donor FPCM in full control. The original SVX setup used a "two stage" controller (low voltage for low demand/low speed, high voltage for full power). The donor uses a multi-stage, PWM-controlled pump, which is ultimately controlled by the ECU. I looked into "hardwiring" the fuel pump, but with odd-ball relay setups and drawing direct power, I decided to keep it factory-esque. Besides, the ECU allows for custom PWM levels if I wanted to run the pump full-power all the time.
You want the 4.44 4EAT out of the Baja? 115k on it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You want the 4.44 4EAT out of the Baja? 115k on it.
I appreciate the offer, but I've got a drivetrain sourced. It is a 4.444 though.. ;)

I've been contemplating the turbo arrangement as well. Subaru essentially did the hard work already (with respect to a low-mount turbo), so might as well try to use their system, right?

Since the lower engine was "redesigned" for 10+ EJ253, the 2010+ LGT with the low-mount turbo rely on the redesigned oil pan setup to clear the headers. If we can convert the 10+ to the old style pan, why can't we use the 10+ stuff on the older..?

The other option would be to have a set of "long reach" low-mount headers to clear the oil pan and mount the turbo. While I'll have more room to play, I'd be worried about properly supporting the turbo and the stress on the exhaust manifold studs.

SO, while I'm liberating the donor drivetrain, wiring, and other various parts, I'll be on the hunt for an LGT manifold (or even a 14+ FXT manifold) to play with...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Things are rolling!

Donor has been stripped and all the goods have been obtained!

If you don't care for wiring, you won't like what's up next...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, the OB got the 255 for now (to shorten downtime with the OB and make sure the donor motor is actually good).

So I had to put the old 207 somewhere, might as well be in the SVX, right? Doesn't look too bad, might have to consider this option too.... ;)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess I can post another update:

Still no more progress. Between work, finishing (and planning) for more house projects, not much time has been spent in the garage. Homeownership is for the birds! With all the rain and sun, I've cut my 1/2 acre yard at least 12 times this year.

Plus, just finished getting the OBXT back on the road. Garage clean-up, sorting, and some parts consolidation is in order. And I've got vultures after the FXT donor parts and some after the SVX itself! Going to have to look hard at the underside of this one to make sure it'll be a worthy recipient...

But, I've been planning on how to use the female trans/diff with SVX axles. I think a simple inner joint/cup swap will do the trick, but need more info...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts