Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
As much as I don't like it, a 20X/Y swap might prove to be the better option at this point. Plenty of stock available, slightly higher compression, and is plug and play for the most part.

255s/257s are just expensive used motors at this point and REALLY a crap shoot at this age. Besides, an OEM short block is only $200+ more than what you paid...
LS swap?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
You could probably make the existing GD-based kit work....

There's that BH rolling around with an LS3 in it, seems to work pretty well. I have been drawing up plans for an AWD M45 swap, but that's bit of a pipe dream.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As much as I don't like it, a 20X/Y swap might prove to be the better option at this point. Plenty of stock available, slightly higher compression, and is plug and play for the most part.

255s/257s are just expensive used motors at this point and REALLY a crap shoot at this age. Besides, an OEM short block is only $200+ more than what you paid...
Well the best price I could find on anew short-block was about $2200 so that's about $600 more, then you have the head gaskets to buy also. Plus there is the whole head machining question while it's apart and that just starts the costs ballooning.

I really don't want to mess with JDM 2.0. I don't want to deal with wiring harness and ECU work. I am most likely going to pick up something built/rebuilt off fleebay and get a protection plan. I saw a built motor for $3200 and I can get 4 years of protection on it for less than $200.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
777 Posts
Well the best price I could find on anew short-block was about $2200 so that's about $600 more, then you have the head gaskets to buy also. Plus there is the whole head machining question while it's apart and that just starts the costs ballooning.

I really don't want to mess with JDM 2.0. I don't want to deal with wiring harness and ECU work. I am most likely going to pick up something built/rebuilt off fleebay and get a protection plan. I saw a built motor for $3200 and I can get 4 years of protection on it for less than $200.
Make sure to really read the terms of that. Sometimes those 4 years only qualify if they put the motor in, and they are the only ones to service the engine, even oil changes.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts

You must need better searching or better suppliers.. ha. EJ257 short block, at cash wholesale, is 1857 at my local dealer (NE Ohio). But agree, the costs can inflate if heads need help, etc. Sticking to required gaskets keeps you under $200 (rather than every single gasket).

You can also successfully run a 20X/Y without hooking up the exhaust AVCS. Some people leave it alone, some retard it 1 tooth to try and help at the bottom end, but the single scroll setup is much less "responsive" to the dual AVCS than the twin scroll. Good tuning and the naturally higher compression can make this motor transparent, especially for DD-status. Have I sold ya yet? lol

@Brucey is right, be sure to read the fine print. Retailers (like IAG) require a dealer-network shop to service all motor-related maintenance. It's how the books balance to rationalize multi-year, blanket protection.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Progress on my (2) girls is slow.

Cherry has 2K miles on the crap motor and is doing just fine. Her power is down, way down. But she's not burning any oil yet. ej255T are known to drink a quart starting about now. I am super surprised it has lasted this long.

Frank has been under the knife. in the last month or so. Of course, the moment I decided to disable the car. My Apt complex decided to re-roof so I had to armor Frankie since I could not move her.

She's a monster, she survived just fine.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I also ordered some very "silly" heat management wrap. Even tho Perrin recommends NOT wrapping their header. I think if you swap out the wrap every other year...you can mitigate corrosion. The silly blue holds true to Frankie's color palate.

I did my very best to bury "tails" which means wrapping the whole unit in sequence. What a PITA.

The dye lot on the warp was terrible. I mean, 6 months in, it's all burned into light gray anyway. I guess 100' for $25 is a bargain. But the time to pull it off clean. I think I am going to order a skid plate to just keep debris off the wrap. And help to limit corrosion within the wrap.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sooo...

I have put about 12 months and 10K miles on the junk motor planted in Cherry. The Pandemic has helped. I have to keep certain rpm/load levels...or she wants to shake like a paint mixer. With a more open road, I can be flexible.

Anyone who says the ej255 is weak, I beg to differ. I have hammered, flogged, and bogged this b*tch. She's been limping HARD for 6 months. But she keeps showing up every morning.

I have my AAA card waiting in the wings, but so far, Cherry keeps on trucking.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Cherry-Bomb is still kicking , but kicking "hard",

#4 coil pack died. Due to #4 misfiring hard, I expect. But I have the next "war boy" coil pack in line, plugged in and up for duty.

I even swapped out the injector. Tested today on a run to work. Very Nice.

She's not purring by any stretch, but she's far calmer than the calaminty of recent weeks.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Cherry is still limping.I'm pretty amazed that between the throttle and the manual shifting mode-back to sport and back...with DBW throttle could heep this up this long.

Hey Community.

I am looking for a new motor. Anypone bored surfing the web that come across something...post it here. I am looking for somehing that is complete. Long Blocks or full builds. My budget is $3500. I have the "other replacement motor" swapping into Frankie, as soon as find a clone. My regualer 6 to 4 , and CKE work has me buried.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts