Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002/3 Outback

Was attempting cleaning out my MAP sensor [while trying to correct a lackluster MPG issue] and mistakenly took the TPS sensor off. No problem or so I thought , and hooked it back up. Then correctly ID'd the MAP and cleaned it out with some carb cleaner and canned air. Then upon re-assemble and restarting all **** broke loose. AT TEMP lamp flashing, and a CEL. Upon driving it would shift real rough, not shift out of 2nd, and the AT Temp blinked constantly. awesome...
My neighbor had an OBDB tester and it showed issue with the TPS. [oh so thats what that thing is called] Upon taking it off and staring at it I realized that the little positioner was sitting behind the throttle position arm and so it wasn't sensing position, I corrected that, and viola~ no more blinking at temp warning, I still have the CEL, but assuming it needs a few miles to ensure it's operating normal again.

The impetus of my post is a warning to others that the little TPS potentiometer incorrectly mated to it's throttle mate will cause all sorts of craziness.:gasp:

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
code will likely clear itself but, you can disconnect the neg. batt. cable, press the brake pedal to discharge any residual charge, maybe go ahead an wait 5 minutes, then reconnect. Should clear the code and everything will be fine hopefully.

·
Registered
18,716 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will work, but it will also clear the radio preset stations, and has occasionally been found to cause the security system to become problematic. It's far better to use a code reader with a "clear codes" function. This way, the CEL goes out without affecting any other systems.

The code (CEL) will clear automatically after three full driving cycles (typically means cold start, drive for a while at different speeds with engine fully warmed up, then full cool down) if no further fault is detected.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Yup, every time I disconnect my battery my 2nd gen security system goes into valet mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^mmm yeah mkay... personal top 10 movie

New finding. Tried to clear CELs p0122 & p1700 with the let it roll for a few restarts, and via disco battery ground methods. Neither would clear the cels. Borrowed the neighbors obd tester which included a "clear codes" function. That worked, and all good now. I guess those two codes are in a saved memory format that is saved regardless of battery and don't go away after X time restarts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts